Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The new RS/PH meetings  (Read 946 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
The new RS/PH meetings
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:38:55 am »
Does your RS sit in a circle of chairs during your RS hour? Our room is large enough for a circle of about 60 chairs, but that leaves no walking behind the chairs room, or to get to the Nursery without first going outside around the building.

Also for me it is nearly impossible for me to hear anyone other than either sister next to me. Plus, there is no way out. I end up in a panic and toss sisters out of their chairs so I  can get out . I have brought this up with the RS 2nd Councilor, gave her several options to position the chairs so I can hear AND get out when and if I have a panic attack.

Just tonight I got a letter from the RS Pres telling me that I have to adjust, that *we* were told to form a circle, so we are. Four rather long paragraphs later, We Love you Iggy, We want you in RS.

I sent it back to her with, the circle is metaphorically speaking. It in NOT written in stone. I am NOT the only sister who is hearing impaired, nor am I the only one who dislikes the huge circle. BUT I am the only one speaking up about it.

I also told her I would no longer be coming to RS. If I can't hear all of what is said, then what is the use???

So, how many of you form a circle during RS?

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: The new RS/PH meetings
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:07:24 am »
We do & we don't.

It varies depending on who is leading the council meeting & how she wants it to unfold. I don't know what the EQ does. Sometimes we have a circle, sometimes several circles for smaller groups, other times it is the typical rows of seats but people are invited to participate in an open discussion.

The guidelines from Church leadership say we CAN arrange seats in a circle but don't prescribe any specific arrangement. I think varying it from month to month is a good idea because folks differ in their preference of how they're seated, & it's only fair that everyone have an equal chance to be displeased a few times a year.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 12:19:02 pm »
Our branch tried the first week and since have reverted back to the traditional seating arrangement. We also have a wireless microphone that is passed around so that anyone who wishes to speak can. The instructor wears a small one that attaches to her clothes. They are't that expensive and insures the every can hear and make comments,

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 12:21:24 pm »
We make a sort of horseshoe shape, two rows deep, around where the table used to be. The table is now off to a side. Our room is fairly small, and our ward even smaller. I'd guess that most weeks we have only about 15 sisters in the room.

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »
We are a fairly small branch and RS meets in a fairly small room.  We sit in a circle, with the one exception being our Annual Branch Conference where we sat in rows.  As our building is not a traditional LDS building (if you recall, the building was originally a Chinese Restaurant) we have one sister sitting back in the corner to play the hymns on the CD player.  Next to her chair is a door that leads to the outside, which means that if someone needed to get outside quickly, they could use that exit.  I don't think we have ever had more than a dozen sisters in attendance, except for our Annual Branch Conference two weeks ago.

I teach on the second Sunday.  I love using the talks for discussions.  One way I prepare is to pull up the talk on lds.org and listen to it several times, sometimes while I work in the evening. Hearing tone of voice and inflection helps to make the talk more personal to me.  By the time, I'm reading the text, the sound of the speaker's voice is in my head.  I feel I benefit from that.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 05:23:08 pm »
the 6 of us sit in a horseshoe. because I still use a board for bullet points and theme words etc.for provoking discussion and ideas. 

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:35:03 pm »
We did it a couple of times early in the year, and it seemed to make our very traditional RS president quite twitchy. We haven't done it since.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »
We did it a couple of times early in the year, and it seemed to make our very traditional RS president quite twitchy. We haven't done it since.
Are you still able to converse with the sisters easily? Our RS Pres believes that being in three rows, divided down the middle for easy exit access and then fanned out in quarters, so as to make a semi-circle, is not abiding by the decree from the *Powers To Be* (she was really hedgey about if it was from the Stake RS Pres, Stake Pres, or LDS dot COM). I am not the only one who had communicated to her that the gigormus circle is not "Cozy", nor is it easy to converse with all of our sisters. Just found out that 7 other sisters have told her this - and each one also included: It is so impersonal.

What made me the maddest was her down playing my hearing loss. I hurt physically so bad today that I didn't make it to Fred Meyer to purchase a bucket of ear plugs. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walker-s-Game-Ear-GWP-FP-50PK-Foam-Ear-Plugs-100-ct-Jar/46272213  this is similar, but it is cheaper at FM. I was going to pass them out to all of the sisters AND the RS Pres this Sunday, To show you what it is like from my point of view, when you are sitting so far away from me and talking in your "Church" voice or For all of you to experience what it is like for me, etc, etc.. Maybe I will save it for next month.

Matthew 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
D&C 42:38  For inasmuch as ye do it unto the least of these, ye do it unto me.

libertygranny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 11:31:24 pm »
You're in a ward with 60 sisters in the RS meeting? Wow! that would be nice to have even a 1/3 that many in our RS meeting.

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 02:09:08 am »
 We also tried a few times. We kind of meet in two different rooms. For some years we've met in the chapel because we no longer could fit in the RS room. Now unfortunately there is less of us, so at times we can fit. So every Sunday the decision is made which room.

For the few times in the chapel, it's just hard work to move the chairs and put them back. For the smaller room, if we try to make a circle we don't fit.

And us Finns are rather shy and quiet, a circle exposes us too well, so many didn't sit in th circle anyway (especially those who came late), so it kind of put people in two different caste, those included and those not, even if it was by choice and some of those not in the circle participated in discussion too.

I get the idea behind the circle but I see so many reasons why there are problems with it.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 04:09:05 pm »
Iggy, you might try contacting your stake RSP and telling her about  your hearing problem and ask if your arrangement could be approved.

But I know more than one sister who attends and just doesn't hear what is said, in the spirit of wanting to be where God wants them to be.   Just snag the chair next to the exit (the panic attack issue would be the one that concerned me the most).
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 07:42:47 pm »
The men meet in the chapel, below the podium. They have always put the first two rows of chairs in a sort of elliptical circle. The leader handed out papers and by standing smack in the middle, with his arms outstretched those sitting across from each other, got a paper - no problem. I sat at the far right front by the exit door. They asked me to join them so I did. Sat behind the brother at the center of the elliptical. I could hear all of them just fine.

They were discussing Ministering to one and another. They brought up my foster mom, how she was house bound and still did an amazing job with her calling as Compassionate Leader. I told them that she also was in charge of the Missionary Meals. Calling members to feed the missionaries lunches and dinners. She was seldom turned down, and she called the inactives first, then investigators and then active members. 

She may not have been able to leave the house, but she sure could use the telephone network.

Right now I feel like I have been broadsided by a stealth bomber. Hubby couldn't make it to church, so I had to be Librarian. When I got there at 8:45 (subbed for him in branch council) the library door was wide open. So I left it that way.

I stayed for Choir practice, and now that it is 2 hrs 45 min since I got home, the soles of my feet burn, from my midriff to my feet I ACHE, THROB, and feel like too many parts of me really, really want to cramp up.

Thank The Good Lord it is only 72 degrees out with a nice wind. Don't think I could handle another 85 degree day! I am finishing this up, then I am going back to bed. On top of the covers, with a light weight cotton quilt barely over me, my hot-steaming - screaming feet exposed to the oscillating fan bringing in the delicious cool air.  I am going to sleep until I wake on my own.

When I am feeling better I will compose a letter to the SRSPresidency, just as you suggested. Doing it in Word, and having Hubby edit, edit, and edit again will get the letter to a do-able suggestion(s).

pnr, remind me again what part of the world you live in. Knowing this really helps in my understanding of where all of your suggestions are coming from.

Better get to bed before I do a Passed Out Face Plant on the Keyboard.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 04:53:10 am »
When the year began our High Priest Group continues to meet in the choir seats in the chapel and the elders quorum met in a circle in the cultural hall. After we became one quorum we have met in the chapel a few times and in the hall more often. Depending on use of technology, white board, etc. we have sat in half-circle or whole circle.

The "advice" given for sitting in a circle was specific to the first Sunday council meeting, and it was always to be dictated by "local needs". I think the RSP in question needs some training/counsel from the Bishop and/or Stake RSP. If we are not ministering to our people in our time in the meeting house on Sunday we are missing the mark by miles.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: cook, Jana at Jade House, Iggy, Sparky

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:17 pm »
pnr, remind me again what part of the world you live in. Knowing this really helps in my understanding of where all of your suggestions are coming from.

SE US
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 11:40:03 pm »
I had forgotten about the first Sunday being a council meeting. Our first sundays are like all the other.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1381 Posts
Roper Roper
1153 Posts
dyany dyany
829 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
683 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
423 Posts

* Recent Posts