Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Play a game with me...  (Read 511 times)

cook

• View Profile
Play a game with me...
« on: June 21, 2018, 10:46:19 am »
So,
last summer I was called to be a seminary teacher. The assumption being I'll teach the 4 years. Which would have meant teaching 3 years of my oldest, two of my second and one year of my third child. I love seminary, and besides the obvious struggles (kids coming late etc), I felt I was doing fine. We had already made plans with the other teacher in the Ward (my sister-in-law) about how to organize it this year to give the maximum benefits to the students. Then last Saturday I got a call from a member of the Stake Presidency releasing me from my calling.

Well, the first pessimistic thought was "was I so bad, did I fail so badly". I know the bishopric had planned to keep me, because we got a new bishopric about a month before summer break and they asked if I'm ok to continue. We got a new Stake presidency about a week before the summer break.

I had felt in a way "safe" to know I will be teaching seminary for the next 4 years. It may be that they just felt inspired to release me and only God knows why. It may be that I was released because I will have another calling, which seems logical to me. Regardless of what the reason of releasing is, no doubt I will have a new calling at some point, there's just not enough people to let someone just be.

So the game is.... guess what will be my new calling. I'll let you know when I know.   :D

I fear a stake calling. I kind of feel they're not "proper" callings, just things that take people away from Wards where they are needed. Of course I understand there is a need for them. I just would not like to have one. (Though I did enjoy my calling as the secretary to the Stake Presidency and other similar callings I had as a young single adult).

AndrewR

• View Profile
Re: Play a game with me...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:38 am »
I kind of feel they're not "proper" callings

In October 2002, following my release as a member of the bishopric and ward clerk, I was called as an Assistant Stake Clerk (Technology). In the following February are was called as a member of the High Council. Since then, apart from a nine month period when I was ward YMP, I have held at least one, and as many as three, stake callings. 5 years on the high council, 8 years in the Stake Sunday School presidency (last 4 as president - still ongoing), 6 as stake clerk, 4 years an institute teacher (always alongside ward and stake callings), 1 year as acting Executive Secretary (along with being stake clerk and stake Sunday School president). I am now Elders Quorum president and still stake SSP.

I can say that they all felt very much like proper callings. Yes, they take you away from your ward - but in my case that is no bad thing. I am liked (in some case adored) in the other units of the stake - not so much in my own ward. I have had the privilege over the last 15 years (and counting) to: -

• Train many good people, including 20+ bishops in various aspects of their callings
  • Speak in every unit (9) of my stake on multiple occasions
  • Teach Gospel Doctrine and Youth Sunday School in every unit of my stake, again multiple times
  • Put MLS into all the units, including processing the tithing the first time in each unit
  • Attend stake councils where the Spirit has been strong, and the unity grown

If you are called to a stake calling, be grateful for the opportunity.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »
You're going to be "called" to raise the six orphaned young children in your community?

You're dh is going to be called to the SPresidency (although I don't recall if he is even a member)?

You're the new addiction recovery person?

The new SP knows that one year of seminary teaching is enough for most members (though if you're taking your kiddos anyway, why not teach too)?

Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:06 pm »
I do know stake callings have their reasons and need, but I feel I can be of more use in a Ward calling.

Luckily our Stake Presidency was just changed in May, so no fear for DH having a new calling. But pnr:s first and third suggestions would suit me well. :-)

* Top Posters

Curelom
1643 Posts
Roper Roper
1524 Posts
dyany dyany
956 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
825 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
653 Posts

* Recent Posts