Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: youth activities?  (Read 499 times)

cook

• View Profile
youth activities?
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:00:21 pm »
Does mutual always go on hold for the summer break and/ or other holidays? Or do you keep having them? If there is no mutual during summer breaks, do you have other official or unofficial activities (camps or youth conferences not counting, meaning activities for a few hours?)

Is there a policy about them?

Our summer holidays are for 10 weeks. Most often there is no mutual, sometimes not even for the last school week, sometimes the last one being week after school ends, but in some Wards they keep going.  Much to do with who's in charge.

When I was young we had mutual on Tuesdays and on Fridays "everyone" hanged at the church anyway, playing sports etc. We'd hang out with each other on other days too. My kids don't have such friends at church that they'd make the effort to visit each other or hang out much. So I kind of wish there'd be more official activities too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:39:52 am by cook »

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: youth activities?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:54:06 pm »
When I lived in Texas, we didn't have week night activities when school was out for the summer.  There was scout camp and girls camp near the first part of the summer, and then everyone went on family vacations.

Here in Utah, we still have YM/YW activities Wednesday night throughout summer, except for when the kids are at camp.

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:23:45 pm »
We keep going year round, with intermittent weeks off due to holidays/camps/High Adventure/etc.  This also goes for Cub Scouts and Activity Days girls.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:59 am »
I have experienced both, and both happen across our stake. The Stake president would prefer it to continue right through - the school holidays are hardly the best time to let the youth go without meeting up with their coreligionists except for Sunday.

But what happens is really down to the YWPy and/or YMPy. And our YWP likes a break.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:16:43 pm »
Where I am now, I think the YW & YM keep going during the summer, but the cub scouts basically shut down.  I'm not sure about activity days.  It very much depends on the ward and the leaders.

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:18:16 pm »
As I suspected, down to the people. In a way I do get the idea of a summer break, youth callings are time consuming. But you don't get the break if you teach Sunday school or any other Sunday job, of course you do go on holidays etc and then get someone to sub you. Or you don't get a break if you're in RS presidency or Primary presidency etc. Of course the youth presidencies also have the Sunday lessons to do during summer also.

I hope one day we have youth presidencies who would like to continue activities at least for part of the summer. Or at least coordinate with each other. Like now last week of school YM have activity, YW have their last the previous week. When you have both in the family, it creates some issues...

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:33:28 pm »
In our previous ward, it wasn't so much that youth leaders got to have a break.  It was that there were several weeks during the summer months when no youth were around. Almost all the kids went to camps or cousins that were out of the TX heat.  Most of them had extended family in Utah and Idaho, so that's where they went for the summer.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 11:23:03 am »
Agree with Roper.  When we did webelos just a couple of years ago, we tried to have den meetings once a month in the summer, but even that rarely had more than 1-2 (out of 5-6) in attendance, and sometimes NO ONE would come.  It wasn't always vacations, but families are doing stuff with their kids more locally during the summer and just didn't want to fit the cub meetings into their schedule during those months.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:41:22 pm »
We keep going year round, with intermittent weeks off due to holidays/camps/High Adventure/etc.  This also goes for Cub Scouts and Activity Days girls.

Same here in Idaho. Attendance goes down some weeks, but they keep having activities!

One of my favorites that our ward does in the summer is a 1- or 2-day woodcutting activity. The YM and YW spend a day cutting and splitting wood for widows and others in our ward who need help collecting wood for heat in the winter. Those kids work SO hard. If we happen to go out into the mountains to do this, we camp out and then raft the river the next day. I think the working hard then playing hard teaches and unifies them more than anything else we do.

The following users thanked this post: cook, Roper

* Top Posters

Curelom
1346 Posts
Roper Roper
1143 Posts
dyany dyany
819 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
677 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
420 Posts