Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: "Saints" new History of the Church books/series  (Read 68 times)

Taalcon

• View Profile
"Saints" new History of the Church books/series
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:11:28 pm »
It's begun serialization for a few months now, and didn't see anyone mention it. It's a new wide-spanning narrative history of the Church book series to be published eventually in three big volumes, but right now is having a chapter a month released in the Ensign and the Gospel Library App under Church History. It's being translated in several languages as it's being produced. (The full paperback book will be available to pre-order in June)

Frankly? The first chapters are AMAZING. The good this book will do can't be understated. It craftily, simply, and matter-of-factly weaves key parts of the story that are either generally left out or misunderstood in past versions of the story as just simply part of the narrative, and not a big deal.

Local magical culture, Joseph using seer stones, Oliver Cowdery's use of a Dowsing Rod, multiple strands of the First Vision accounts, the role of another minister in getting Joseph's attention to James 1:5, the common-placeness of individuals in that time having claim to visionary experiences (part of what allowed Joseph's experience to be dismissed as nothing spectacular), etc.

The fact that it's being serialized in the Ensign/Liahona is awesome, giving a much wider readership than a compiled-history thick book would get.

Have you been aware of it/read it? What are your thoughts? I love it, and it's a fantastic culmination of what's been happening with the Joseph Smith Papers project, and a willingness to expand understanding and openness about our History!

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Iggy, Roper, Randy, Sparky, rcaywood

Randy

• View Profile
Re: "Saints" new History of the Church books/series
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:33:55 am »
Thank you for the heads up.  I was unaware of this.  I'm delighted that it seems to be written at a third-grade level.  My soul delights in plainness.  I have begun to read.  I will read more.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1199 Posts
Roper Roper
986 Posts
dyany dyany
776 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
634 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts