Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Flood  (Read 480 times)

kazbert

• View Profile
Re: The Flood
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 11:57:59 pm »
There are “folk doctrines,” spread by word of mouth and at times wrongly attributed to some prophet or apostle.

There are also doctrines that are documented as having been voiced by a prophet or apostle, but no “recent” mention has been made concerning it.

We are at all times free to search, ponder, and pray over any doctrine, and test how well our personal understanding aligns with official church teachings. I have some hypotheses of my own, born of my own “what if ...” questioning. But when it comes to teaching anything in a church calling in a church-sponsored setting, I am very clear about my obligations: When I teach, I toe the official doctrinal line, and that is any doctrine that appears in current church-published manuals and magazines. No one in that class came to hear my own take on things. And if there is a point that I have a question about prior to a lesson, I will do my homework, which means looking it up, not going from memory. If a student raises a question that I am not prepared enough to answer with certainty, I will defer that question to the following week and come prepared the following week to discuss it correctly. I teach by the Spirit, which Spirit may direct the lesson to go in one direction versus another, but has never lead me to teach something outside of official church doctrine.

Regarding the flood, I too have my personal misgivings about whether it was truly world-wide or more localized, or whether it was more figurative than literal. But when I step into that class to teach, I teach that it is church doctrine that it is literal. What the students do with that on their own time is their business. And the flood being literal is church doctrine, whether we like hearing that or not:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/flood-at-noahs-time?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/01/the-flood-and-the-tower-of-babel?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/manual/old-testament-seminary-teacher-manual/introduction-to-the-book-of-genesis/lesson-17-genesis-6-13-9-29?lang=eng
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 12:05:40 am »
Rainbow: I don't see anything in the scriptures that says the rainbow Noah saw after the flood was the first rainbow ever seen on the earth ever. It was the first rainbow Noah saw after the flood and after the covenant God made with Noah, and God appointed rainbows, from that time forward, to be a reminder of that covenant.
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 04:53:41 pm »
The story was meant as literal. In a story world where the earth was flat, the sky/heavens was a dome with windows, a tower really could be built to reach the heavens, and the earth was seated on the cosmic ocean.

The windows of heaven opened up to let the water from the cosmos pour into the world, and the ground opened up from below allowing the Waters Below to come in. It's the story of a snow globe dunked in a tub having holes in the top and bottom drilled into it.

That's what the flannel board of those originally telling the story would look like.

The question 'did that happen' is somewhat useless. 'Why was this story told'? can likely give us far more beneficial material for our profit and learning.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:56:28 pm by Taalcon »

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »
Interesting parallel with the uses of the phrase "windows of heaven" and "pouring out blessings (or cursings)" in the scriptures.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

* Top Posters

Curelom
1217 Posts
Roper Roper
1015 Posts
dyany dyany
785 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
645 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts