Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Smells Like Scam  (Read 580 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Smells Like Scam
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:23:23 pm »
Just got a message in my spam/scam box titled Re: Partnership. Writer claims to be a “Military Soldier with the United Nations troop on war against terrorism,” asking for any respondents to go in with him on a claim for $8.5 million.

I didn’t open it, but was able to read it by right-clicking on the title in my mailbox & choosing “View Message Source.”

Here it is verbatim, except with the name redacted to protect any innocent person who might have the same name.

Hello. My Name J*** A****** G*****, i am a Military Soldier with the United Nations troop on war against terrorism here in Syria. I seek your partnership in the claim of $8, 500,000.00 US Dollars (Eight Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars) I will give you more information upon your response to this proposal. Kindly respond via my private email address; g****78097@hotmail.com Best Regards, Captain. J*** A****** G*****

If he is a “Military Soldier” or a captain in an actual military force assigned to peacekeeping in Syria, he doesn’t say which one or what country. His English language usage suggests English may not be his first language. He does not say what the claim is for or whom it is against. If it’s legitimate, he doesn’t need co-litigants. The e-mail address given includes the supposed sender’s last name, but with a letter (an important consonant) missing. If 78097 is supposed to be a ZIP Code, it is for Folsom, Louisiana, a village north of Lake Pontchartrain with a population just over 700 and the closest high school 12 miles away. If it has a military installation of any kind, it must be top secret.

So there it is, FWIW. If this claim is legit & he has a righteous claim against anyone, I think he needs a lawyer more than he needs me or anyone else on the list of strangers he is sending this message to. And if it isn’t, I hope innocent folks don’t even open it, & maybe get scammed or expose themselves to identity theft or other problems.

AndrewR

• View Profile
Re: Smells Like Scam
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:34:20 am »
Smells?

It looks, feels, tastes and sounds like one too. Leave well alone.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:55 pm »
Aside from what has already been mentioned, a real member of the US Military would not sign anything with rank and name.  It's supposed to be John Doe, Capt., USAF or whatever branch he claims to be.  Red flags everywhere.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:00:20 pm »
Wow, got another one, saying
Hi, I am Sgt. F**** P****, a USA military deployed to Afghanistan. While on patrol we discovered some funds which I want to move out quickly for safe keep and investment. Reply for details.

Again, as palmetto_gal noted, wrong form of address for a military person, a “USA military” anyway. Wouldn’t we see CAPT, SGT, SSG, etc.? What English-speaking person calls him/herself “a USA military”? And they want to move out this supposed found money, which they are hanging onto at the risk of being court-martialed, for "safe keep." Some crook is exploiting people’s sympathy for military personnel or veterans, & the "funds" they want to "discover" are in your bank account. :(

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:24:25 pm »
Why do scammers use such poor word choice. The words just do not fit together as having come from a native English speaker.

"Kindly", "funds", "safe keep", "I am a military soldier", "troop on war against terrorism", "I seek your partnership", "in the claim of", "$8,500,000 US Dollars", "upon your response". These are all just wrong word choices.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 03:48:46 am »
They don't write like native English speakers because they aren't. Huge numbers of these swindles originate in other countries, & they are using an on-line translation service or maybe a school language textbook to translate into what they hope sounds like good English. I wouldn't be able to pull off a credible scam in French or Russian any better than these crooks can in English.

To me, the stilted or awkward English language usage is often the first glaring hint of a scam.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:36 am »
Curelom,

I think you probably could do it. I used Google translate for this and I can't find anything in the French that looks suspect.

Bonjour, je m'appelle Fredy Mercury et je suis un officier servant dans l'armée française en Afghanistan.
J'ai en ma possession une grande quantité d'euros que j'espère pouvoir transmettre à quelqu'un en France.

I doubt they used a translator - I think they think their English is good.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 12:30:55 pm »
Indeed it is good English - good English as written by someone whose first language appears not to be U.S. English. The writer could be a non-English-speaking person, or might well be English-speaking but not from the U.S.

It looks good, uses correct words, & will fool some readers. But the vocabulary & diction are not typical vernacular American English, so it won't sound "right" to those who are accustomed to the vernacular.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:33:01 pm by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, palmetto_gal

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:36 am »
Huh. I never knew Freddy Mercury was in the French army.  ;)

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:32:29 am »
That's why this forum is so good. LDS mingled with great, unknown, facts.

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 07:01:42 pm »
Huh. I never knew Freddy Mercury was in the French army.  ;)

Freddy  was. But not Freddie.

Jacaré

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 10:57:32 pm »
The first time I ever got one of those it began by saying something like, "I know you are a well respected and reputable person in your country." Right there I knew they had the wrong guy.
"He was old, Ephraim. He was 52."

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 03:40:56 am »
Hi, Jacaré - it's nice to see you here!

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Jacaré

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 04:50:48 pm »
Sheesh, got another one. Why am I getting all these spam appeals? :( I am not opening the e-mais, but right-clicking & selecting “Review Message Source,” which sometimes lets you read some of the content. Another one with grammar & diction suggesting the writer is not a native English speaker/writer & is translating into what he/she believes to be proper formal English.

This predator thinks people are dumb enough to send their phone & fax numbers - unfortunately, some are.

My name is Dr M***** L****, the Manager of Fund Investment Ltd London office. My client, who died recently in the eastern city of Benghazi insurgency, made a fixed deposit of GBP =C2=A328,300,000.00 Twenty Eight million, Three Hundred Thousand British Pounds in my branch. From investigations, he did not declare any next of kin, so I need you as a foreigner to act as the next of kin to get this fund for us because the funds will revert to the UK Treasury if nobody comes forward. My anticipated percentages for sharing shall be fair enough 55% for me, 45% for you. Please, be inform that we shall commence processing of claims of payment once I receive your interest from you, and the funds will get into your account within Five (5) working days by Telegraphic Transfer (T.T).20 Note that this transaction is 100% risk free as long as I am involve. Do acknowledge the receipt of this letter by indicating your interest in : transaction with your direct contact details such as your telephone and fax numbers for easy communication. Yours truly  Dr. M***** L****

Jacaré

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 12:18:17 am »
Did you hear about the Nigerian prince who was found to be hiding $17,000,000 in his basement? He'd been trying to give it away for years, but no one would answer his emails.
"He was old, Ephraim. He was 52."

* Top Posters

Curelom
1217 Posts
Roper Roper
1015 Posts
dyany dyany
785 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
645 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts