Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: New Curriculum for Third Hour  (Read 869 times)

AndrewR

• View Profile
Re: New Curriculum for Third Hour
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:48:45 am »
first Sunday topic is both men and women

I am making an assumption at what you meant by that - which I read as Elders, High Priest and Relief Society have class councils on the same issue.

This is incorrect. Each should be discussing, in council, something decided by their quorum, group or class leader. Bishops and Stake Presidents may make suggestions, but the EQP, RSP and HPGL decide.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:21:32 am »
bad me.  drive by posting. I meant exactly what you said.   Both men and women meet together in council together with one topic....

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 11:26:43 am »
Well, that's not what is supposed to happen.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 06:12:09 pm »
oh I get it.   our first Sunday was hosted by Bishop in the chapel for all.  I assumed that was the new drill.  and then I misread what you wrote. I figured fifth Sunday was just moved to first Sunday....  sigh

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 01:17:18 am »
I’ve heard a number of favorable reactions to this (as well as gripes from folks who are used to “the way we’ve always done it” & feel challenged when things change).

Some of the things people like: Most weeks, topics & materials are locally chosen, by the people who are closest to the ward members & know them best. Week 1 is council, on a topic that HP, RS, & EQ leaders select based on what their people need or issues they’ve seen in the ward or in their orgs. Each might pick something different, or they might be separately inspired to pick one topic of interest to the whole ward.  Weeks 2 & 3 build on that topic, with related Church leader talks from GC (in one ward where I have friends, they used previous Christmas Devotional talks in December in lieu of GC talks). The occasional Week 5 is directed by the bishopric. Only Week 4 has a topic chosen outside the ward.

In past years, it was the opposite. Weeks 2 & 3 were from Presidents of the Church manuals, & Week 4 was Teachings for Our Times with GC talks selected by the stake. Only Weeks 1 (taught by HP, EQ, & RS leaders) & 5 (from bishopric) originated locally.  Even though it was important for us to learn the teachings of past prophets, the lessons were sometimes formulaic, & too often in my ward & others, I saw verbatim reading of the text with an occasional “What do you think Pres. X meant, and how does it apply to your life?” Stake choices for GC talks were made with the needs of stake members in mind, but if your stake is like mine, one size can never fit all.

I live in the Bay Area where we have YSA wards, Spanish, Filipino, Samoan, Tongan, & Chinese language or cultural units, & traditional “family” geographic wards. Some family wards are also MSA magnet wards, & most have many singles of all ages – employed, stay-home, combination employed/stay-home, retired, never married with or without kids, divorced with or without kids, widowed, you name it. Many have changing populations, with folks coming & going for school or career, or moving to more affordable places when kids start arriving. So the transition to having more of the “adult hour” topics & materials be relevant to real live people in those wards seems to resonate with many (the exceptions we see are mainly those who have been in the Church a long time, are very settled with the way things have been, don’t like sitting in small groups or a circle, or don’t favor a lot of discussion). This is more work for leaders of those orgs – I see how much effort some of them put into it. But hopefully it will bless individuals, families, & wards.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Hobbes

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 12:45:01 pm »
We always had the 4th Sunday lessons chosen by the Ward (RS presidency, HP presidency and EQ presidency), I believe in the whole country, not just our Stake. But the point is still valid.  :)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 10:23:42 pm »
We always had the 4th Sunday lessons chosen by the Ward (RS presidency, HP presidency and EQ presidency), I believe in the whole country, not just our Stake. But the point is still valid.  :)

Maybe it differs by country, or even by stake if some stakes were having the ward leaderships choose topics. AFAIK, at least in the area I'm in, the old format was:
Week 1 - Lesson chosen by RS, HP, & EQ leaders, & wouldn't need to correlate.
Week 2 & 3 - talks from Presidents of the Church manual.
Week 4 - Teachings for Our Time with GC talks selected by stake presidency, used in all "adult hour" classes.
Week 5 - Directed by Bishoprics. Might be a combined meeting, with lesson by Bishopric or assigned to another org; could also be separate with topic chosen by org leaders.

What Cook describes would have one more week each month directed by ward leaders, who at least are closer to the members than stake leaders who may see us only every few weeks & when we go to renew our TRs.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 11:21:45 pm »
That's how my ward in TX did the lessons, Curelom.  The only difference is that fifth Sunday was always RS/PH combined, with the lesson taught by the Bishop, unless someone from the stake presidency taught.

For about a year, my wife and I both did the Teaching for Our Times lessons--she in RS and me in HP.  We loved preparing the lessons together.  Even though we had basically the same lesson plan, it was interesting how much different the lessons came out.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 04:45:24 am »
4th Sunday was to be chosen either by the SP or, if he chose, the bishop(ric).

In our stake we originally had it so that one in three was the SP and the other two the unit chose. However, in order to allow for those that travel in the stake (high council, auxilliary leaders, SPy) we changed it so all were chosen by the SP and all units had the same lessons.

One of the problems with the new format is that if you are going to another unit in your stake you have no idea what to prepare for - and sometimes I go at the drop of a hat, so no time to ask.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1276 Posts
Roper Roper
1081 Posts
dyany dyany
799 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
662 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts

Re: Forming a new Stake - eta I got an answer this morning at Church by Taalcon
[August 13, 2018, 09:52:53 am]

Re: Arbilad by Roper
[August 12, 2018, 11:20:26 pm]

Re: Forming a new Stake - eta I got an answer this morning at Church by palmetto_gal
[August 12, 2018, 03:26:20 pm]

Re: Arbilad by mirkwood
[August 12, 2018, 10:53:57 am]

Re: Arbilad by Iggy
[August 12, 2018, 10:53:08 am]

* Board Statistics

• stats Total Members: 106
  • stats Total Posts: 9962
  • stats Total Topics: 663
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 26
  • stats Most Online: 65