Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: President Monson has earned his rest  (Read 363 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
President Monson has earned his rest
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:48:52 am »
President Monson passed on Tuesday night at home at age 90.

We will remember him for his tireless work as God's servant, a minister to all in spiritual or temporal need, and the face of the Church to millions of people around the world. He  truly lost himself in the service of the Lord and his brothers and sisters. I am sure that as he crossed over, he was comforted by hearing "Well done, thou good and faithful servant; welcome home."

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, LMAshton, palmetto_gal, Iggy, Roper

AndrewR

• View Profile
Re: President Monson has earned his rest
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:53 am »
He certainly has. Sad, but at the same time I am happy for him. He is with his wife, and has all his faculties back.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, palmetto_gal, Iggy, Roper

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:03:06 pm »
I cried. The world will miss the influence of a great man.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, palmetto_gal

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:11:33 pm »
Hard to believe it had been 10 years since President Hinckley passed away. Already in his 90's, I wonder how long President Nelson will be around. I really like him.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:25:19 pm »
I’m sure everyone has heard, if not read the NYT’s article about president Monson. I agree 100% with this man’s opinion
https://www.gregtrimble.com/think-president-monson-new-york-times-obituary/

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:24:37 pm »
I didn't find a problem with the NYT obit. It was factual and accurate.  I suppose it could have focused a little more on humanitarian achievements.  But there was nothing offensive in it.  I don't see why so many Mormons got all up in arms about it.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »
Because obituaries are usually honorary memorials, unless the person was evil. President Monson was so loved by members that they expected at least a bit recognizition of the good he had done in the world and not the focus of on what the world believed he hindered. Factual though it was, it didn’t begin to tell the story of President Monson. I, however, was not surprised and felt the focus on what it was, was a disservice to who President Monson was.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:31:10 pm »
That post did not express my thoughts: by our focusing on these obituaries, we are doing a disservice to who president Monson was.  The obituaries are nothing more than what was to be expected: we are expected to be more!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:39:47 pm by Palmon »

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 07:21:23 pm »
Some quotes from the obituary:

"Thomas S. Monson, ... enlarged the ranks of female missionaries, but rebuffed demands to ordain women as priests and refused to alter church opposition to same-sex marriage..."

"Facing vociferous demands to recognize same-sex marriage, and weathering demonstrations at church headquarters by Mormon women pleading for the right to be ordained as priests, Mr. Monson did not bend."

"Mr. Monson displayed a new openness to scholars of Mormonism, ... allowing them remarkable access to church records."

"On Mr. Monson’s watch, the church enlarged its global missionary force to 69,200 from 52,000 and, in what students of church affairs called a major achievement, doubled the number of young women in its missionary ranks, to 18,400, by lowering the minimum age for service, starting in 2012, to 18 from 19 for men and to 19 from 21 for women ... It changed the whole view of what women would do: that they would go just like the men...”

"Despite persistent demands for change on another feminist issue, Mr. Monson — who as president was considered by adherents to be God’s “prophet, seer and revelator” — did not open the door to women in the priesthood..."

"Mr. Monson faced another test when church members, increasingly scouring online sources, found apparent contradictions between historical records and church teachings. ... In allowing such access, ... Mr. Monson presided over an unprecedented era of openness about church history, while reassuring the faithful that theirs was the one true, unerring faith."

"... in 2015, Mr. Monson responded to the Supreme Court’s decision legalizing same-sex marriage with a letter read in Mormon churches saying that sexual relations outside heterosexual marriage were “contrary to the laws of God.”

"Awaiting his turn for the presidency, he embraced humanitarian causes with Christian, Jewish and Muslim groups supporting homeless shelters, food banks, nursing homes and disaster relief efforts in the United States and abroad."

All of those seem positive to me.  Those events show that Pres. Monson displayed faithful and unwavering leadership during continual confrontation for the church to  comply with political agendas.  To me, placing his leadership in the context of all those "negative" things shows that he was a prophet.  It would have been easy for him to just propose the demanded reforms.  He did God's will, not men's.

The NY Times is the most well-known and highly-regarded newspaper in the country. As such, they focus on historical fact. When they do an obituary, they place the person in context of public events. The most widely reported public events of Pres. Monson's leadership were issues regarding the church's position on gay marriage and the ordination of women. So that's what the obituary focused on.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:24:20 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog

* Top Posters

Curelom
1244 Posts
Roper Roper
1034 Posts
dyany dyany
786 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
647 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl