Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: fires on the west and hurricanes on the east....how did all our Navoodles do?  (Read 533 times)

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
So, have we done a roll call on everyone that are in the line of fire (literally)  and the hurricanes?  I understand that KQ is doing well.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

ketchupqueen

• View Profile
Yeah I'm nowhere near the current fires (which are awful.)

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
I've been posting in the Cabin about the fires. I live about 60-70 miles (by air) from the area of the worst cluster of fires, in Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, & several other counties north of San Francisco.

This spate of wildfires is now historically the worst in California history, with 42 fatalities, nearly 400 square miles burned, & 8,400 buildings lost throughout the state, 7,000 of them in these "North Bay" counties. The city of Santa Rosa lost 5% of its residences. Two of my best friends live in Sonoma County, & they are fine. I don’t know if any Church members were killed, but 150 lost homes.

The biggest impact for us south of the fires was smoke, which on some days was thick & heavy. In parts of the Bay Area it sometimes looked like fog, except a more dirty gray color. I live closer to the ocean, but it got to us too. Filter masks were a top seller all around the Bay Area, & places like Home Depot & Loews ran out. I had a couple already that I keep for tasks around home. For days, folks were either wearing them or bringing them whenever they went outdoors - or they were just staying inside AMAP.

The Deseret News sent a team of reporters to the area & they’ve been sending in lots of articles about what the Church has been doing & how individual members are responding.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865691386/Mormons-regrouping-after-California-fires.html

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900002368/the-missionary-story-providing-help-in-a-time-of-crisis-in-california.html

I hope Nauvoodles in other areas where there have been disasters or other tragedies are doing OK. Do we have anyone on Puerto Rico, or Florida, the Gulf Coast, or Las Vegas? They will be in my prayers.

ketchupqueen

• View Profile
I had hoped, with most of the state being ut of drought for once, we would have a milder fire season. But it didn't happen. And now if we have another heavy rain year, the mudslides are going to be horrific to add insult injury for those areas that have fires this year.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
After the welcome rain in my part of the Cabin that mostly put the North Bay fires to bed, we’re having another heat wave this week. Everyone is praying it doesn’t lead to another epidemic of fires.

Those folks have a huge recovery ahead of them, & that’s multiplied by thousands of times, with residences, businesses, barns & outbuildings, & winery buildings destroyed, along with some of California’s prime vineyard acreage.

Cleanup is not just a matter of getting a bunch of neighbors together to rent a dump truck to collect all the debris. These days, fire debris is full of toxic wastes from minerals or metals that break down, synthetic building materials, paint, chemicals used in households or businesses, etc. It can't just be shoveled up & hauled to the landfill. And nearly 7000 buildings are involved. Local & state authorities want to fast-track it because winter is coming, & heavy rain would mean a lot of that crud getting leached down into the soil or washed into storm drains or waterways & spreading the pollution. Add that to the mudslides that KQ mentioned, & winter won't be pretty.

We’re waiting to see if “Mormon Helping Hands” will be requested from the rest of the Bay Area & Northern California. Probably everyone I know knows someone in the affected areas, not necessarily that they were hurt or lost their property, but an event like this traumatizes a whole region the way a hurricane or any major disaster does. I feel for the folks in Puerto Rico who can’t seem to catch a break, with much of the island still without power or water, & I saw a report about some doctors operating by the light of cell phones. When November comes & I have more $$, I'll make some more donations for disaster relief.

ketchupqueen

• View Profile
We are in a heat wave and under red flag fire warning down here too.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Sigh. Y'all will be in my prayers that all will be safe.

DerrellF

• View Profile
Best wishes to all in harm's way.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Just looking back through old threads, & see what KQ said a couple of months ago.

I had hoped, with most of the state being ut of drought for once, we would have a milder fire season. But it didn't happen. And now if we have another heavy rain year, the mudslides are going to be horrific to add insult injury for those areas that have fires this year.
How right you were, KQ. This is awful.

ketchupqueen

• View Profile
I was hoping any rain would be gentle for a few months.

Alas.

The main road between here and the city one over was closed due to flooding and mudslides and residents who barely escaped flames last month evacuated again in that area.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1244 Posts
Roper Roper
1034 Posts
dyany dyany
786 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
647 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts