Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events - US Politics Edition  (Read 3861 times)

cook

• View Profile
Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2018, 03:26:17 am »
Can someone explain to me why this is considered to be because Trump has done something good/right?

Yes, this may mean it is more probable that Trump and Kim has their "super meeting", but even that is not guaranteed. A similar meeting between the leaders of Koreas and same agreements were done 2007 and nothing happened. Would Kim really get rid of nuclear weapons? Most likely not. Would US agree to have peace without them getting rid of nuclear weapons? Most likely not. Call me a pessimistic, but I don't see much happening here.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »
I really really hope for the elimination of NK's nuclear weapons program. I hope for an end to the DMZ and the reunification of the Koreas. I hope for the opportunity for the people of the world to show their good will toward NK and help to lift them out of the poverty that has plagued families for generations.  It will be one of the greatest achievements I have witnessed in my lifetime.

However, it will not be brought about by a commitment to peace.  It will be brought about by the fear of war.  Trump and Kim have already said as much. One should get a Peace Prize for pursuing peace. One shouldn't get a Peace Prize for threatening invasion, war, and retaliation. That's brinkmanship, not peace.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, palmetto_gal

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 03:27:59 pm »
I think the biggest push for resolution will be when they allow their people to freely travel between the two countries. Families will be reunited. Those in North Korea will see what prosperity looks like. And South Korea can likely learn some things from North Korea, too.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 10:00:10 pm »
I'm sure ya'll have seen the news by now:  Kim threatening to disengage from peace talks and Trump retaliating with threats of "decimation." Sigh... It's like watching second grade bullies kick sand at each other.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 04:40:17 pm »
But second-grade bullies kicking sand at each other can’t wipe out millions of people in a single burst of infantile, temperamental brattiness.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 09:14:01 pm »
Way to go, prezzie. ::) Use one of America’s most solemn days to beat your own political drum. This might look a bit different (but not much) if you at least had served like so many of your military high school classmates, “heroes proved in liberating strife, who more than self their country loved,” instead of in your papa’s business empire while sitting on your liberating heel spurs.

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-memorial-day-2018-remarks-slammed-critics-946322

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 11:28:20 pm »
Well, it looks like this year I'll be voting for democrats for the Senate and House to counter the Oval Office's agenda, democrats for state offices to help protect Utah's public lands, and democrats for local offices to stem the tide of cutting community services in one of the nation's fastest growing economies.  This will be a first.

The following users thanked this post: Jen

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 03:14:40 am »
Roper, I knew there was still good in you. Welcome to the light side.   ;)

I understand where you are coming from.  My 5 year stint in Utah cured me of voting along republican party lines.  Those Utah R's are cra-zy. 

I tend to vote about 70% D and 30% R these days.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 08:00:35 am »
Great news, everyone. [where's the applause graemlin when you really need it?] The big threat from “Little Rocket Man” has been eliminated. The whole region is so safe that the U.S. will cease joint war games with South Korea, an apparent surprise to South Korea & the Pentagon. DT says that will save money.

"Everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-says-north-korea-no-longer-a-nuclear-threat/ar-AAyA9f2?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/The-Latest-SKorea-still-trying-to-parse-Trump-s-12989861.php?cmpid=overnight

Trump, Pyongyang, & Moscow are happy.

OTOH, Canada is still a problem …. Maybe with the savings from the military exercises, we can build another wall, to the north.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 09:20:56 am »
"Everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office."

Tell that to the 160 million women in the U.S. whose president sexually assaulted women and bragged about it, and then it was all swept under the rug.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2018, 12:01:12 pm »
You see, the MAGA crowd don't care about any of this.  Their primary interest is in preserving their white trash, redneck culture.  Guns and their religion of white privilege are all that matters to them. 

Sadly, most of the GOP leadership have caved.  While more and more Republicans are getting on board with Trumpism, fewer and fewer people are sticking with the GOP.  I suspect the Republican party is going the way if the Whig party, drifting into irrelevance by clinging to policies no longer relevant in a changed world.  I hope whateven party comes in to replace it will temper some of the worst tendencies of the Democratic party.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2018, 12:17:39 pm »
Sadly, most of the GOP leadership have caved. 
Yep. Politics became more important than people. I've been slowly walking away from the Republican party for about a decade.  Trump turned it into a sprint.  The sad thing is this:  There are many good and decent Republicans in office. Trump bullies them into submission. And they submit. Hopefully, people will come to their senses by 2020.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:06 pm »
A legislator who stands by while our constitutional and human rights are attacked by a man child power monger, doesn't deserve to be in office.  Most of our LDS members of congress have been gross embarrassments to the church and our values in this area.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 05:57:09 pm »
Using scripture to justify just about anything is as old as scripture.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sessions-cites-bible-to-defend-separating-immigrant-families/ar-AAyF52Q?ocid=spartandhp

Those who disapprove of the Trump regime's edict to break up families might cite Matthew 19:6 or Mark 10:9, “what God hath joined together…” We usually see this in reference to marriage, but what has God joined together, even more than a husband & wife, than children with their parents?

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 07:38:06 pm »
What a wrest! 

* Top Posters

Curelom
1276 Posts
Roper Roper
1084 Posts
dyany dyany
799 Posts