Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events - US Politics Edition  (Read 83569 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition
« Reply #1170 on: February 25, 2021, 04:04:22 pm »
Politicians behaving badly (cuz they have such a great role model to adulate & emulate).

The GOP governor of Florida, Ron De Santis, ordered flags on state offices flown at half staff for Rush Limbaugh. Since Trump already defiled the Presidential Medal of Freedom by awarding it to Limbaugh, I suppose it doesn’t matter anymore that this honor meant for war heroes & other veterans, public officials, & other distinguished people should now also be dragged through the manure. Some officials still believe this form of recognition means something & should be respected, & said they will not disrespect it or our country's flag.

How about maybe a sign of mourning for the 30,000+ Floridians who have died of COVID while De Santis diddled over it the same way Trump did all last year which has now led to Half A Million Deaths (make that 520,000) in the U.S.? Those people deserve to be mourned no less than Limbaugh.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Florida-governor-Flags-will-be-at-half-staff-for-15964726.php

Texas GOP Senator Cruz is asking folks not to be @$$es over his cavorting off to a Cancun holiday in the midst of the pandemic as his state was also being bashed by a natural-turned-manmade disaster when extreme winter weather was complicated by the collapse of the energy grid. Little Ted’s wife was upset over leaks of the family’s plans to flee to the Sunny Caribbean since their daughter's school had to close anyway, a closure forced by the storms & power failures that millions of Texans couldn’t escape. BTW, this is the state whose GOP governor gleefully poked California last year about our public safety power shutoffs to minimize wildfire damage. Poor Texas. I wonder if Cruz tossed out paper towel rolls on his return from the vacation.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/houston-texas/article/Ted-Cruz-Cancun-trip-leaked-text-messages-podcast-15972313.php

And then there is the guy whose sentence was commuted by Oklahoma’s GOP governor Kevin Stitt, was freed only last month, & is now charged with an unspeakable depravity. He was doing 20 years for gun & drug violations & was out after only 3, despite his parole officer saying he “remains a threat to society and himself.” He had prior convictions for threatening a GF with a gun & selling crack cocaine near a school. No link for this one – NSFW or family viewing, but it’s all over the news. I guess the governor figured if the Potus can spring a boatload of crooks, abusers, & threats to our national security, it was a suitable example for other public officials to emulate.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 25, 2021, 04:57:34 pm »
There are people with $10,000 power bills now because Texas deregulated the power market. That could have paid for a trip to Cancun  :o
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 26, 2021, 08:16:22 pm »
I agree that DeSantis lowering government flags for Limbaugh is completely beyond the purpose of the honor and the zone for whom it should be done.   But I don't see how Cabinet member's directive to ignore the Governor's order on government buildings overseen by her is any more appropriate.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 27, 2021, 12:06:00 pm »
Here's a good article about Adam Kinzinger, a Republican representative from Illinois:

Kinzinger’s main focus these days is on fixing the Republican Party—figuring out what went wrong and what has to be done to make it right again.

I asked him whether, in retrospect, he sees warning signs about the direction the GOP was heading that he didn’t recognize at the time. “I think that the warning signs were just basically this lack of—you always assume there was a backstop of truth-telling,” he responded. “No matter how bad it got, ultimately we would defend the Constitution and tell the truth. And I don’t believe that anymore.”

“Looking back on it,” he added, “it was so obvious. You see it in people—in a minor thing, in people like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, who stoke the outrage of the day, and they can be completely on the other side of the subject that they were on six months ago and nobody calls them out on it. And you realize that if you don’t have a commitment to truth, you can get by with a lot of stuff. I think those warning signs were there.”

What he never expected, he told me, was “the authoritarianism … but looking at the fact that truth doesn’t matter, anything now is possible.”

But the abandonment of truth wasn’t the only factor that reshaped the GOP; the politics of fear contributed, too. In the past, there was significantly more focus on policy, Kinzinger said. But today “we feed fear. That’s all we do.”

The article also explores Kinzinger's lament about how Trumpism has damaged Christianity.

You can read the whole thing here: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/man-who-refused-bow/618156/
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 27, 2021, 08:45:22 pm »
I agree that DeSantis lowering government flags for Limbaugh is completely beyond the purpose of the honor and the zone for whom it should be done.   But I don't see how Cabinet member's directive to ignore the Governor's order on government buildings overseen by her is any more appropriate.

Actually, it is appropriate.

De Santis disrespected the flag by ordering it lowered to half staff for someone who is not a veteran or a public official & who actively used extremism & bigotry to divide Americans against each other. If he were a public official who used bigoted or extremist behavior or speech in that manner, which so many have done from the highest levels of government on down, he would be entitled to it. As a media figure who did the same, he does not deserve to be honored in a way that uses our flag. As a veteran, De Santis ought to understand how special that tribute is, & not drag it through the mud for just anyone.

Here are examples of Limbaugh's words. Who can think anyone who peddles such rubbish, in the absence of any other valid reason for the tributes, deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom or our flag disrespected to honor him?

-- The NFL: “looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips.”
-- The NBA: “Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call 'em gangs."
-- On hearing the president of China: “Ching cha. Ching chang cho chow. Cha Chow. Ching Cho. Chi ba ba ba. Kwo kwa kwa kee. Cha ga ga. Ching chee chay. Ching zha bo ba. Chang cha. Chang cho chi che. Cha  dee. Ooooh chee bada ba. Jee jee cho ba.' Nobody was translating, but that's the closest I can get.”
-- Gay people: "When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it's an invitation."
-- AIDS: “Rock Hudson disease.”
-- Feminism: “so unattractive ugly broads could have easy access to the mainstream”
-- Women: “still live longer than men because their lives are easier."
-- Need for sexual consent: “How many of you guys in your own experience... have learned that ‘no’ means ‘yes’ if you know how to spot it? It used to be used as a cliché.”
-- Greta Thunberg’s autism: “She claims she has Ansperger's type — Ausperger's — or autism — Asperger's — some kind of problem in that area…. And nobody is permitted to question her, you see, because she has — what did they call it? She is in the autism spectrum, so you can’t disagree, you can’t question, because she’s not well.”
-- Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s disease [while moving around mocking tremors]: “He is moving all around and shaking and this is purely an act... This is really shameless, folks. Either he didn’t take his medication or he’s acting.”

Lest anyone think I’m bashing Limbaugh because he is “conservative,” I would think the same if some misguided governor proposed a holiday to honor, say, Karl Marx, the Weather Underground, or Fidel Castro. I would hope subordinate officials would push back & say no. Some people are just beyond being entitled to consideration for any tribute that involves our most valued national symbols.

In my first visit to Washington years ago, I went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History & saw the original Star-Spangled Banner. It was on a special linen backing that had been sewn on decades earlier to reinforce it, & then it was still mounted vertically, shown for rotating 15-minute periods & then shielded to give it a break from the light because it was so fragile. (It has since had extensive conservation & preservation treatment & is now displayed horizontally). It was full of holes & burn marks from when the British bombarded Fort McHenry, & Francis Scott Key saw it “at the twilight’s last gleaming” & still flying “by the dawn’s early light.” I cried right there in the museum when I saw it, & I still get emotional thinking about seeing that symbol of our freedom & what it costs & continues to cost. Unlike Limbaugh, my dad was a veteran, & when he passed, my mom was given the flag from his casket, of course with 50 stars, not the 15 that the Fort McHenry flag had. It makes me sick to think of that flag being abused to honor someone who hated & scorned my fellow Americans & humans as much as Rush Limbaugh did.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 28, 2021, 12:44:11 pm »

De Santis disrespected the flag by ordering it lowered to half staff for someone who is not a veteran or a public official & who actively used extremism & bigotry to divide Americans against each other.

Here are examples of Limbaugh's words. Who can think anyone who peddles such rubbish, in the absence of any other valid reason for the tributes, deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom or our flag disrespected to honor him?

So, do you have a similar problem with flags lowered for George Floyd? 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd#Later_life

Just wondering if you're consistent, or inconsistent. 

in the absence of any other valid reason for the tributes
Are you saying Limbaugh never did anything good or worthy in his entire life, and your quotes represent the sum total of the man?

What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 02, 2021, 11:22:54 pm »
The media's coverage of Governor Grandma-killer is interesting. His horrible handling of his state's nursing homes, especially his deliberate cover-up, was finally gaining some speed recently. But this week that very important issue has become a side note as a focus on his sexual harassments has emerged as his big scandal. His sexual harassment and bullying style of "leadership" are important, but they didn't result in excess elderly dying.

The conspiracy of narratives tells me that he had been propped up as a foil to Donald Trump over the last year, so legitimate criticisms of his bad policy decisions were suppressed. But now that his usefulness is gone, and as the reality of those criticisms have come to light and are gaining speed, the media does not want their willful suppression of that story exposed, so they are pushing hard on a different narrative that will likewise take him down.

His only hope is for a different story to take the spotlight off of him. He has some hope, as it has been a week, so the next crisis to rise to the top of the news cycle is due any moment now.

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 02, 2021, 11:42:33 pm »
The conspiracy of narratives tells me that he had been propped up as a foil to Donald Trump over the last year, so legitimate criticisms of his bad policy decisions were suppressed.
I didn't see that in the sources I usually go to. I've seen sharp criticism of Cuomo's delays and mistakes since last summer. I do agree that the Biden election machine promoted an inaccurate narrative of what really happened in NYC.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 04, 2021, 03:11:58 pm »

De Santis disrespected the flag by ordering it lowered to half staff for someone who is not a veteran or a public official & who actively used extremism & bigotry to divide Americans against each other.

So, do you have a similar problem with flags lowered for George Floyd? 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd#Later_life

Just wondering if you're consistent, or inconsistent. 

in the absence of any other valid reason for the tributes
Are you saying Limbaugh never did anything good or worthy in his entire life, and your quotes represent the sum total of the man?

I can't say whether Limbaugh has never done anything good or worthy in his entire life. I'm sure he has. After all, "Mussolini made the trains run on time," didn't he? People accused of some very heinous things are often defended in court by those who contend that they were good kids, lovingly babysat their little siblings, & would never hurt a flea, so they should get a break because when they mugged, raped, or beat someone to death, "that wasn't the kid I knew." But if Limbaugh has done spectacularly benevolent things, I do want to know so I can correct any negative opinions & give him a break for the spectacularly malevolent things he has done to all of us.

As for George Floyd, I'm sure there are better, more suitable comparisons. George Floyd did have a police record of some kind, but that wasn't why he was killed. I'm ambivalent about half-staff flags for cases like this; I can understand people's anger, grief, & frustration, & I myself was outraged when I learned what actually happened to him. But not sure this warrants the same honor as we give people who have served their country & community. I do hafta say that one glaring factor in any comparison between Floyd & Limbaugh is that no one has ever stereotyped Rush Limbaugh because of his race & sat on his neck until he stopped breathing.

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 04, 2021, 04:40:11 pm »
But if Limbaugh has done spectacularly benevolent things, I do want to know so I can correct any negative opinions & give him a break for the spectacularly malevolent things he has done to all of us.

Some of his charitable work:
- He's raised millions for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society with a yearly telethon.  I don' t know the total amount, but between 1990 and 2006 it was over $15 million.  Rush regularly donated hundreds of thousands from his personal funds.

- For decades he did an annual drive to provide scholarships for kids of Marines and LEO that died in the linke of duty.  No total, but in 2007 a single eBay auction landed $2.1 million.

- Somewhere around $5 million + to the Tunnel to Towers Foundation (another charity for military/first responders who lost lives doing their duty)

- Since his death, I've heard probably half a dozen people come forward with stories of Rush's personal generosity to this or that cause or individual.  Donations made after getting a promise it would remain anonymous.

Other things:
- If you want a sense of the positive impact he had on people, just tune in to his program any time this next week.  It continues to broadcast since his death, with various guest hosts, sometimes with his wife Kathryn hosting.  The endless phone calls from fans take on similar tones - Reminiscing about the personal impact of listening to Rush, and talking about the positive impact on their lives.  Endless stories about people leaving behind things like victim mentality, race or class hatred, dependence on government, entitlement mindset.  Stories of people taking control of their own lives and improving themselves.   As I listen to parts of these shows on my drive, I notice half or more of the callers are female.  I don't know how long the program will continue to air, but 2 weeks of a Rush Limbaugh show with no Rush Limbaugh, with each caller more rhapsodic and grateful than the last, is a thing to behold.

- For me personally, his principled arguments were 33% responsible for my breaking away from my father’s Democrat upbringing, moving to conservatism.  This was a process started in the late '80's, and involved years of umpteen arguments and political discussions over years.  Like anyone who has moved from one very strong opinion to another will tell you, I figure I'm better off for it.   You may find it interesting to note: I used to be a registered Democrat in Utah.  Then Rush happened and I started losing arguments until I emerged a conservative.

- His radio interview with "The Breakfast Club" about the George Floyd story, is amazing.  It's worth breezing through, even more worth a thorough read: https://news.iheart.com/featured/rush-limbaugh/content/2020-06-01-pn-rush-limbaugh-my-conversation-with-the-breakfast-club/

- His bestselling and award winning "Rush Revere" series of children's books, written for 5th graders, have made no shortage of teachers and parents happy for helping them instill love of our country and constitution. 

- I have sort of a lighthearted prediction going, that after this coming fast and testimony Sunday, I will hear a report from at least one LDS person somewhere, that they heard someone mention Rush while bearing their testimony.  (I'm not saying this is an appropriate thing to do when bearing a testimony, just that I would be very surprised if I didn't hear at least one report from someone.  I can think of two likely candidates in my own ward who have mentioned him during this or that lesson over the decades.)

the spectacularly malevolent things he has done to all of us.
Heh.  Good analogy between Rush and Joseph Smith - pile up everyone who hated and derided him, and you've got a big pile of people who didn't know that much about him/never listened to the show/never read the BoM.   Pile up the people who knew him best, and they mostly have good things to say.  As far as I can tell, his 3 ex wives fall into the latter camp.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:42:21 pm by N3uroTypical »
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 09, 2021, 03:10:00 pm »
“So I want to thank you both, and I want to thank the sec… the former general, I keep calling him general but my… my, uh… the guy who runs that outfit over there,” he said. “I want to make sure we thank the secretary for all he’s done to try to implement what we just talked about. And for recommending these two women for promotion.”
Unfortunately, this is not a stutter, especially in light of how his handlers have been controlling him.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 09, 2021, 06:37:23 pm »
We have a history of presidents who have served with some kind of impairment.

- George W. Bush often stumbled over his words in public.
- Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan had hearing impairments.
- JFK and Eisenhower had learning disabilities.
- FDR had polio and used a wheelchair.
- Theodore Roosevelt was blind in one eye.
- Abraham Lincoln suffered from severe depression.
- James Madison had epilepsy.

I'm more concerned about ableism being used to score political points. We're more enlightened about disabilities and more compassionate than that. Or, at least, we should be.

Also, this: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden-forgot-defense-secretary/

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:51:11 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: cook, dyany

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 24, 2021, 09:23:44 am »
Some of Joe Biden's gaffes are obviously stuttering issues. Occasional word finding problems happens to everyone, even without stuttering. And of course political creatures will trumpet things without nuance. But based on my observations of Joe Biden it is difficult to say that all of his gaffes and stumbles are solely due to his attempts at overcoming stuttering and none are due to cognitive decline/dementia. Many of his compensatory phrases, as well as unwarranted outbursts of anger, are very similar to how my patients with cognitive decline/dementia attempt to compensate. They often fool their family members.

With the amount of power that a current president has to directly impact our lives, I do not think that we should automatically ascribe all of Joe Biden's gaffes to stuttering when there are warning signs that there is cognitive decline.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 24, 2021, 04:19:26 pm »
I recall reading several studies done by clinical psychologists that tracked the vocabulary of Trump over the years and found that the diversity of his word usage had greatly declined starting a few years before his election, a sure sign of "cognitive decline" they said. So, with regards to your comments on President Biden.... whatever.....

Besides, if good ol' Joe decides to resign from office due to health or capacity issues, we'll be in good hands.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:07 am »
I've never been a fan of sound bytes fed to me by someone pushing an agenda, so I did what I've been doing for the last 4 years, and went to the source.  I watched through probably 20 minutes of Biden's first press conference. 

He did fine.  He did a slow, semi-frail old man, cherry-picking-reporters-to-call-on-out-of-a-picture-book-someone-gave-him version of fine, but he did fine enough.  It takes stamina and brain power to stand there for an hour on live TV, making statements for 25 minutes and then answering questions for 45 minutes, and he did it.  Yeah, he had every help and aid possible, but you can't fake that level of ability.  Yeah, he's 78 years old, and in regular old slow visible decline.  If it comes to it, America can survive a president who is frail, experiencing neurodegeneration, and needing extra aid and assistance by handlers who eventually run the show.  Just like the Church weathered some prophets who were pretty darn unable to do much of anything by the end of their lives.  No matter what your political affiliation, we all saw VP Harris coming, nobody should be surprised if she steps forward and Biden steps away, either formally or informally, during this term. 

I was pleased to find the press not nearly as compliant and friendly as the right-wing cherry picker news claims.  There was even an NBC 'fact checking Biden's press conference' article, that found some falsehoods.  I was pleased to hear Biden's tough rhetoric and stands, on illegal immigration and China, which the left-wing cherry picker news leaves out.  He and Trump deserve credit for meeting his initial goal of 100 million vaccine doses in the first 100 days, and He and Trump deserve credit for being able to reasonably double the goal to 200 million in the first 100 days.  It's good to hear all of Biden's talk about getting the vaccine out, kids back into schools, businesses back open, people back to work.  Of course, I remain firmly conservative and in opposition to quite a bit of what I heard, but them's the breaks.

-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

* Calendar

April 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts