Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events - US Politics Edition  (Read 53870 times)

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition
« Reply #976 on: April 11, 2020, 10:47:49 pm »
1st article: He is angry that his father died and looking for someone to blame. If he sent an even much harsher letter to the President of China, a slightly milder or about the same toned letter to Governor Jay Inslee, then I might see the "it's a moral issue - not political" aspect they claim. But there is clearly political motivation behind using the grieving family's emotions.

2nd article: This is clearly an opinion piece that was found in their political news section. The opinions are designed to push a certain narrative. Looking at how it was written I suspect it was not written to convince anyone of the validity of the arguments/opinions, but rather as a piece to motivate those that already believe the same way. Those types of articles are pretty common.

3rd article: Trump is indeed a hypocrite when it comes to his how he attacked the government spending on Obama's vacations, yet spends just as much or more. However, I think they took the wrong line of attack here. The more I read about what a 'protected trip' is, and why Trump had more of them with his larger family size and more former officials, the more valid the bulk of the trips appeared to be. They missed the mark when they went for the eye grabbing headline of 4000+ trips, when they should have focused on how much his personal vacations have cost. This is the line of attack that fiscal conservatives might resonate with. While it would not bring any fiscal conservatives to the Democratic party, it might lead them to stay home on election day, which accomplishes the same goal. By attacking his family's trips, they leave themselves wide open to the Hunter Biden line of attack, which attack already has a firm foothold in the American psyche.

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 12, 2020, 09:33:53 pm »
Yes the family trips stuff is nonsense --- Trumps family are grown with their own families and actively part of the administration.   No recent former president has had adult children and participating in the business of government.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 14, 2020, 09:37:46 pm »
I can't begin to fathom the amount of hubris it takes to claim that a global pandemic supports your politics.

“Look, there’s nothing good about what happened with the plague, OK? Especially the death. But the one thing is, it said, ‘Trump was right,’” (referring to himself in third person.)

“And we’re going to bring back manufacturing that we could never have done without this, as bad as this has been, because now people agree with me. A lot of people are saying, ‘Trump was right.’”

Read the article at Politico https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/14/trump-pandemic-coronavirua-257856

All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile

The following users thanked this post: Roper

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #980 on: June 28, 2020, 10:25:48 pm »
Has anyone been following the Trump-damning books coming out. I mean, Bolton is serious enough (and Trump's claims of "every conversation with me is classified" is laughable enough) to impact the election, and all Trump's efforts to block it have failed. But his niece is coming out with another damning tell-all, and so far the legal efforts to block her have failed as well. https://apnews.com/ddb9dc54e4a32321169c9cca9c045c85

If any of the efforts to block her actually succeed, my thing is: isn't it damning enough to have a family member who was denied part of her grandfather's inheritance unless she signed an NDA agreement about her own family? What kind of family is so mercurial, and so evil, that they have done such horrible things that they were taken to court, and had to threaten and withhold inheritance from someone to force them to keep their mouth shut because the truth about them would be so devastating?

Personally, I feel NDAs are an evil thing. They are akin to (and beyond) the "letting the evil go free because of their money" described in the Book of Mormon. In what ethical situation would someone (or a company) be able to silence proof of their guilt for large sums?  Why is that okay?

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy, Roper, Sparky

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 29, 2020, 08:22:11 am »
NDA's are not inherently wrong.  They are some good uses, such as when businesses want to work together to develop a new technology.  The NDA between them helps ensure that they can share info between eachother without having their property or knowledge sold or shared to a competitor. 

I agree that there should be limitations on NDAs.  I believe all NDAs related to someone's personal affairs should be null and void the moment he or she puts himself or herself on the ballot. 

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 29, 2020, 09:44:30 am »
I won't read the "tell all" books, and here's why: In my experience, people who write them are seeking revenge by publishing details of private conflicts. It is becoming popular (and profitable) to become anti-Trump now that the tide of public opinion is turning. I have no patience for the "We didn't realize it was going to be this bad" argument. Either you didn't do your homework, or you willingly dismissed evidence. Donald Trump has been like this since he entered public life 50 years ago. He's gonna do what he's always done--stay in the spotlight by either fanning the flames of hatred toward those who are different, or by trying to make those who support him feel important with empty words and ineffective gestures. No, the failures of this administration over the past three and half years are the responsibility of those who have championed all things Trump.

"You knew what I was when you picked me up." https://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheLittleBoyAndTheRattlesnake-Cherokee.html
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Taalcon

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #983 on: June 29, 2020, 12:23:28 pm »
JLM: that's true, I forget about that use of NDAs, which are more contractual than from a civil court. Those make sense. An NDA enforced for a settlement does not.

Roper: oh, I won't read them, either (never my thing, specifically for the revenge factor you mention). But in my near-50 years, I have never seen such big, damning books come out about a US leader before their first term is even finished. Never even a hint. I think that's less because of 'riding the wave of public opinion' and more because he gives soooooo much fodder for such endeavors.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 01, 2020, 03:42:15 am »

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11