Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events - US Politics Edition  (Read 39039 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition
« Reply #825 on: December 22, 2019, 12:46:56 pm »
Mark Galli isn't the only prominent Christian who sees the disconnect. Fr. Peter Daly wrote in the the National Catholic Reporter almost three years ago and compared the Beatitudes to the words and actions of Donald Trump:
What are U.S. Catholics going to do with Donald Trump? We have to deal with him because he is president of the United States. What does Donald Trump teach and preach by his words and actions? Trump's behavior is the antithesis of the Gospel. He teaches so many things contrary to the Christian way of life. He impedes our own proclamation of the good news of Jesus Christ. ... The gospel Trump is preaching absolutely contrary to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We who stand in the real pulpit should be willing to say so.

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/parish-diary/donald-trumps-gospel-not-gospel-jesus
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 23, 2019, 03:40:39 am »
He made a speech in which he talked about windmills, meaning, presumably, electrical power generation from wind turbines. My issue here is that I have no idea what the quotes in the article are saying. If they were taken out of context, shame on the reporter or writer. But if this is actually what he said, it makes absolutely no sense & it’s obvious that he has no idea what he is talking about & is flapping his lips just to hear them flap, & this happens with so much of what he says about so many subjects. In fact, these quotes are so incoherent, they sound like they’re from someone who is impaired in some way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-attacks-windmills-in-speech-to-conservative-group-i-never-understood-wind/ar-BBYfIpV?ocid=spartanntp

“I never understood wind,” Trump said. “I know windmills very much, I have studied it better than anybody. I know it is very expensive. They are made in China and Germany mostly, very few made here, almost none, but they are manufactured, tremendous — if you are into this — tremendous fumes and gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right?”

“So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint, fumes are spewing into the air, right spewing, whether it is China or Germany, is going into the air,” he continued.

“A windmill will kill many bald eagles,” Trump continued. “After a certain number, they make you turn the windmill off, that is true. By the way, they make you turn it off. And yet, if you killed one, they put you in jail. That is OK. But why is it OK for windmills to destroy the bird population?”
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:16:14 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 24, 2019, 03:52:22 am »
Christianity Today magazine has done it again, this time asking Christians to examine whether they are rendering unto Caesar what should belong to God only: their unquestioning loyalty.

"It is one thing to praise his accomplishments; it is another to excuse and deny his obvious misuses of power."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/christianity-today-again-slams-trump-raises-issue-of-unconditional-loyalty/ar-BBYhPi7?ocid=spartanntp

How long before we hear someone calling for the tax-exempt status of that religious organization to be reviewed?

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 28, 2019, 10:19:28 pm »
Looks like another experienced military leader with a distinguished record wants to get on you-know-who's you-know-what list.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/four-star-us-army-general-slams-trumps-behavior-in-navy-seal-controversy-if-he-was-a-general-wed-fire-him/ar-BBYqq8x?ocid=spartanntp

And if you ever feel something wrong is happening in government, & your conscience begs you to expose it, better think twice.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Trump-retweets-deletes-post-naming-alleged-14936572.php
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 10:53:46 pm by Curelom »

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 30, 2019, 10:56:52 am »
What do they like to read?

We can tell a lot about what people are like by the books they enjoy. I looked up the favorite books of U.S. presidents, & here are a few examples. Many of them, of course, reflect the times in which they grew up, the availability of books, & the education they may have had.

James Madison: The Collected Essays of John Locke by John Locke
Franklin Pierce: The Life of Franklin Pierce by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Abraham Lincoln: Collected Works of William Shakespeare
Theodore Roosevelt: Influence of Sea Power Upon History by Alfred Thayer Mahan
Franklin D. Roosevelt: A collection of Rudyard Kipling poems
John F. Kennedy: From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming
Lyndon B. Johnson: The Other America by Michael Harrington
Richard Nixon: Anything by Leo Tolstoy
Gerald Ford: Anything by Horatio Alger
George H.W. Bush: War and Peaceby Leo Tolstoy
Bill Clinton: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
George W. Bush: The Bible

And more detailed lists for the favorites of #44 and #45 to give a broader look at their personality & worldview based on their reading tastes:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/12/donald-trump-book-recommendations-2019-plus-ray-donovan-for-some-reason.html

https://slate.com/culture/2019/12/barack-obama-2019-list-favorite-books-movies-tv-shows.html?via=homepage_recirc_recent
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:49:55 pm by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, Redd

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2020, 03:53:22 am »
It's been almost a month since anyone has posted on this thread. See, we can do it!  ;D So now that we know we CAN exercise self-control, it's time for some polite discussion again.

The most important polite question here is not the morality of abortion, but which side the is toast buttered on.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/trump-a-late-convert-to-cause-to-join-anti-abortion-rally/ar-BBZhnyL?ocid=spartanntp

Just going to post this. I do not have the medical knowledge & expertise that being president of the United States would give me, so I will politely reserve any comment. I don’t even know beans about bone spurs, let alone TBI or CTE. So I have to defer to the clearly superior, authoritative scientific expertise evident in the statements quoted.

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2020/1/22/21077675/trump-minimizes-severity-of-head-injuries-in-iran-attacks

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:30 am »
I suppose that the ability to change one's mind, given additional experience or knowledge is a good thing (re:  President Trump and Senator Romney on abortion stances).

But it really does make one question if they are genuine.  In President Trump's case, he has at least appointed anti-abortion judges at all levels, which tends to bolster one's confidence in his conversion.  Senator Romney has voted for said judges, which also bolsters evidence of his conversion, a little.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »
In President Trump's case, he has at least appointed anti-abortion judges at all levels
Whether that was done out of a sincere desire to guarantee rights for developing children, or whether it was done as a purely political strategy to solidify support with his base, I am grateful for this.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2020, 12:27:33 pm »
I tend to take someone's true convictions towards the sanctity of lives of the innocent more seriously when I see their language and policies towards the living, especially refugees and policies that actually work towards seeing to the needs of the poor and needy, and working to dismantle the systems that make it hard to escape such a status.

There are political leaders that are consistent in both, even when it's not politically expedient. But they can be hard to find.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Iggy, Roper, Patty Rain, Hobbes

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 25, 2020, 05:51:57 am »
I am not one way or the other politically. 

BUT, it made me stop and stare when I read that many of the good and great came to Jerusalem to memorialize Auschwitz including HRH Willem Alexander of NL.  Except for the USA,  sending the VP and some others.

Apparently, it was more important for the leader of the free world to stay behind and tweet 180 times.

I am slightly boggled.  It was such a great opportunity to establish the USA as inclusive, anti-racist, whathave you.  I think. But what do I know.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 25, 2020, 10:07:53 am »
I'm with you, Jana. It was a missed opportunity. Not only would it have been the decent thing to do, but it would have been a politically savvy thing to do--sending the message that remembering the liberation of Auschwitz was more important than another day of impeachment hearings, which he has called a "sham" from the beginning. On the other hand, the security nightmare required might have upstaged the event. A lot of people already hate him, Iran has put a bounty on him, and Trump's presence could have been hugely disruptive.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 25, 2020, 10:03:43 pm »
It was such a great opportunity to establish the USA as inclusive, anti-racist, whathave you.  I think. But what do I know.

To appreciate such opportunities, one must recognize the need to be inclusive, anti-racist, what-have-you. Or at least have a profound & respectful sense of history & what we can learn from the past. One cannot do that if one is focused entirely on one's own present, believes one's world doesn't have a problem with inclusiveness or prejudice, or inhabits a world where those issues are irrelevant.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:06:06 pm by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 25, 2020, 10:20:36 pm »
Visiting Auschwitz would require one to reflect & introspect deeply on what human beings are capable of doing to each other. It would require one to examine one’s own actions, attitudes, & associations. Some people are capable of that, others are not, & some may be afraid to.

I have not been to Auschwitz or Yad Vashem, but have been to the Simon Wiesenthal Center’s Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, which has thorough, unsparing exhibits about the Holocaust. It was an almost crushing experience & I cried much of the time, but it was also uplifting to think of those who emerged from places like Auschwitz, Dachau, or Treblinka with their spirits still striving, later went to Israel or elsewhere & made meaningful lives for themselves & those around them.

I don’t claim to be a mind-reader, but fear of introspection might be one reason why some people do not want to see places where such unfathomable atrocities were done, not only to, but by our fellow humans, people who in different circumstances might have shared our workplaces, classrooms, neighborhoods, & yes, our voting booths & our places of worship.

http://somethinginherramblings.com/the-importance-of-visiting-auschwitz/

Here is a sample of the responses of U.S. leaders on visiting Auschwitz or Yad Vashem, the Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-presidents-trump-obama-clinton-and-bush-wrote-at-yad-vashem-holocaust-memorial/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6708619/US-vice-president-Pence-makes-1st-visit-Auschwitz.html

https://www.nysun.com/foreign/bush-us-should-have-acted-on-auschwitz/69403/

The heads of state of Nigeria, Greece, & Germany are among those who have visited Auschwitz. I can’t imagine how wrenching it must have been for Chancellor Merkel or other German leaders who have been there. But I commend them for being willing to acknowledge the past & work toward preventing it from ever happening or even being possible again.

https://statehouse.gov.ng/news/in-poland-president-visits-auschwitz-birkenau-memorial-and-museum-pays-tribute-to-holocaust-victims/

http://auschwitz.org/en/museum/news/greek-president-visits-the-memorial-site,1025.html

https://www.deseret.com/2019/12/6/20999227/german-chancellor-angela-merkel-auschwitz-holocaust

I can't force the president of the United States to do the right thing & pay my country's respects at Auschwitz. But I need to do what I can in my own way to work toward a world where no one singles out entire races, religions, nationalities, or cultural groups to throw into gas chambers, & no one says that those who sympathize or associate with such evil (or deny that it existed) are "some very fine people."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:22:53 pm by Curelom »

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 26, 2020, 12:33:06 am »
I posted this the other day.

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2020/1/22/21077675/trump-minimizes-severity-of-head-injuries-in-iran-attacks

We knew it wouldn't be long before there was a response from people who know what our military personnel experience because they have been there.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Veterans-group-wants-apology-after-injury-remarks-15004492.php

I am not a veteran, but I am a daughter, niece, neighbor, & friend of war veterans, & I was disgusted. Didn't this kind of disdain for less obvious war injuries end with that infamous General Patton incident?

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 26, 2020, 10:43:46 am »
From my observations, Trump holds everyone in disdain except for himself, so par for course.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Patty Rain

* Recent Topics

topic Current Events - US Politics Edition
[Politics]
palmetto_gal
Today at 01:10:50 am
topic Home Improvement
[Everything Else]
Iggy
February 24, 2020, 10:24:23 pm
topic Likeable Leaders
[General Discussion]