Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events - US Politics Edition  (Read 25026 times)

JLM

• View Profile
Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition
« Reply #540 on: August 17, 2019, 09:55:41 pm »
I'm really missing the point and laugh emoji from old Nauvoo.  Yes, of course I was using hyperbole ... sort of.  It was noted that only the rich benefited during a recession, and Trump, allegedly being rich, could really snap up a bunch of real estate for super cheap is the economy tanked.  He truely has an incentive to hurt the economy.  The Greenland thing was just to be funny in light of the rumors of him proposing to buy Greenland and his horrible record on the environment.

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical, Roper

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 18, 2019, 11:43:36 am »
Fair enough.  Now, off to amend my social media post of "guess what someone just said to me!"
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 21, 2019, 10:35:00 pm »
Not angry. Just...incredibly sad that we have come to this.

The U.S. government will not give flu vaccines to migrant families being held in detention centers near the U.S.-Mexico border ... even after three migrant children have died in the past year from the flu.

Earlier this month, doctors associated with Harvard and Johns Hopkins sent a letter to Congress members calling for an investigation into the health care at migrant detention facilities. The doctors specifically cited the migrant children who died from the flu ...
- https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-wont-give-flu-vaccines-to-migrants-in-border-detention-centers-near-mexico-border/

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold;" - JS-M 1:10

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 21, 2019, 11:59:35 pm »
ICE has been overrun by heartless, racist, compassionless scoundrels and needs to be disbanded.  The evil there runs so deep it cannot be fixed.  Immigration enforcement needs a complete purge and reboot.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy, Roper

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 22, 2019, 01:59:06 pm »
Hey Roper and JLM, just out of curiosity, when was your last flu shot?  I don't think me or anyone in my family has ever had one, although we might have that one year when H5N1 was in the news.  What was that, 2009?
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 22, 2019, 02:25:44 pm »
Hey N3uro, just out of curiosity, do you consider their (and your) circumstances comparable those detained, en masse, in enclosed spaces in many cases without a particularly great access to many standard hygenic materials (like soap)?

(I get the shot annually, as does my family. I forgot to get around to it two years ago, and I alone got the flu in a highly strong manner that year that renewed my resolve to do whatever I could to avoid that in the future)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:33:52 pm by Taalcon »

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 22, 2019, 03:07:22 pm »
My last flu shot was Sep 2018. Same with everyone in my family. We're all getting them again next month.

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 22, 2019, 03:22:04 pm »
Hey N3uro, just out of curiosity, do you consider their (and your) circumstances comparable those detained, en masse, in enclosed spaces in many cases without a particularly great access to many standard hygenic materials (like soap)?
There are obvious differences.

There are more comparable circumstances to times when the cops are called on a domestic violence incident and go arrest the parents, and the children are seized and placed into CPS custody.

I doubt anyone has ever given a second's thought to "did CPS vaccinate these children?"  But then again, the news can't use such stories as a way to bash Trump, so why would anyone?
-Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 22, 2019, 03:41:04 pm »
From what I've seen, the way children are handled in cases of CPS is not in any way comparable to the circumstances in these under discussion.

While I understand the argument/comparison being made to the cause of the removal of children, when you go to the conditions of the individuals, the situation of the children who are removed by CPS as opposed to in these circumstances is, generally, simply not comparable.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 22, 2019, 08:02:56 pm »
Comparisons aside, doctors from Harvard Medical and Johns Hopkins are concerned enough that they sent a letter to congress. It's interesting that congress hasn't acted on it. At the very least, they could appropriate the funds and then have a legal case when DHS refused to implement.

From DHS's own report: "We are concerned that overcrowding and prolonged detention represent an immediate risk to the health and safety of DHS agents and officers, and to those detained." You can bet that DHS agents are required to get flu shots to help protect them. The same shots are denied to migrant children. Hmm...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:39:55 pm by Roper »

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 22, 2019, 09:37:28 pm »
Don't you think that the parents of those children ought to be the ones deciding whether or not to vaccinate their children?   Why do we think the federal government should impose vaccinations  --- they don't /cannot do it for citizens?
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 22, 2019, 10:00:41 pm »
I mean, sure, ask the parents! I don't think the parents are being consulted about anything, or I guess the kids would have gotten soap? Pretty sure none would have opted out of that given the option.

The situation is messed up, and quite unprecedented in its sheer numbers. And the Flu has killed children in custody.

But you're right. That's a great idea. Offer it, and ask the parents if they want to opt out giving their children a potential life saving measure.

Most of these families aren't privileged enough to even think about being an anti-vaccer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:32:45 pm by Taalcon »

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 24, 2019, 09:53:40 am »
Why do we think the federal government should impose vaccinations  --- they don't /cannot do it for citizens?
It is not and never was about "imposing." It is about providing. Our government provides flu vaccinations to millions of children through federal and state programs. Why not migrant children? Because the Trump administration believes, like the Obama administration before Trump believed, that these kind of measures are a deterrent to families seeking asylum. Study after study shows that there is zero deterrent effect. Hmm...keep my children here, where they might be murdered or sold into slavery, or travel a thousand miles to America, where I know we'll be detained and probably deported. But, maybe we'll be one of the lucky families who get in...

I know exactly what choice I would make. As many times as it took.

The following users thanked this post: Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 24, 2019, 01:56:04 pm »
So Trump now thinks he is "The Chosen One."  Wow. What a megalomaniac.  Yet his approval rating still hovers around 40%. It is so hard to believe that 40% of the population is that stupid, but here we are

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2019, 05:04:51 pm »
[is one of the 40% that "is that stupid"]

I'm the rubber, you're the glue.  Or something.
-Taalcon

* Top Posters

Curelom
1611 Posts
Roper Roper
1484 Posts
dyany dyany
943 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
818 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical