Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events - US Politics Edition  (Read 22521 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2019, 11:48:55 pm »
Details about what he wants The Wall to look like. Something to rank with the Great Pyramids, the Taj Mahal, the Circus Maximus, etc., as monuments built by ancient kings & emperors to themselves.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-wants-his-border-barrier-to-be-painted-black-with-spikes-he-has-other-ideas-too/ar-AABsOLQ?ocid=spartandhp

The following users thanked this post: Roper

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:12 am »
I still prefer a rainbow inclusive eco love wall with solar panels and dirt on the top for organic gardening.  And a crisis hotline phone every twenty feet, in case someone needs counseling or services.  Better make it every ten feet.  I mean, we surely want to provide the criminals trying to enter our country illegally, with the best possible experience with our friendship wall, now don't we?
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2019, 09:50:53 am »
Or maybe we should follow the recommendations of the border state governors who actually deal with the challenges every day.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2019, 03:42:46 pm »
I did something I don't usually do, and listened to a good 30 minutes of some Trump event.  The event was held on the border, and for a solid 45 minutes, we heard from person after person, DHS and ATF agents, US Border patrol, representatives from small towns.  They took 1-3 minutes each, there were like 20 of them.  Every one said basically the same thing - thank you for finally noticing us, and yes we need more wall and we need it now please.  Some of the stories they told were horrendous.

Some of the governors tell a different story do they?  Well, they have to think about re-election and representing their constituencies and stuff.  You should listen to them too I suppose.  But you sure shouldn't discount the impassioned pleas from the folks who deal with things year in and year out.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2019, 10:26:31 pm »
Yep. And you'll hear stories from farmers and businesses along the border about how necessary a thriving immigrant population is. From POTUS to Pelosi, each politician will hand pick those stories which make their case seem the strongest. Each media outlet will broadcast those stories which best fit their own political persuasion.

My wife's folks live in Yuma (the lettuce capitol of America) six months out of the year. They are devout Trump supporters. And yet...every time Trump brags about shutting the border or deploying troops, they shake their heads. What Yuma needs is a faster and more efficient way to help immigrant families at the border. Their are so many families seeking asylum that the workers who cross on a daily basis to work in the lettuce industry are lining up at 3:00 a.m. to get across. It takes four hours each way. A wall will only make things worse for families seeking asylum, for workers who live in Mexico, and for the U.S. farmers.

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2019, 10:37:52 pm »
"What Yuma needs is a faster and more efficient way to help immigrant families at the border."

I think the entirety of both the exporting and importing countries need that.
-Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2019, 08:41:27 am »
DHS and ATF agents, US Border patrol, representatives from small towns.

You could have just said "the deplorables."

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2019, 07:23:42 pm »
From POTUS to Pelosi, each politician will hand pick those stories which make their case seem the strongest. Each media outlet will broadcast those stories which best fit their own political persuasion.

Isn't it SAD & DEPLORABLE (I want to be fair & non-partisan in choosing my adjectives) that public opinion on any issue depends on whose lies & demagoguery sound more credible at any given moment?

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2019, 11:44:44 pm »
If your little kids get upset with their playmates, grab their soccer ball or My Little Pony & storm back home, itís a great object lesson for Mamma & Daddy. What happens when (supposedly adult) politicians get into a snit & refuse to play any more?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-blow-up-leaves-lawmakers-worried-about-disaster-aid-budget-talks/ar-AABL2fo?ocid=spartandhp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/very-very-very-strange-how-nancy-pelosis-meeting-with-trump-went-down/ar-AABKLTE?ocid=spartandhp

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 23, 2019, 02:04:55 pm »
The counterpoint, of course, is that Dems and the media continue to scramble to find their next area of attack in the wake of their failure to have Russian collusion stick.  2+ years of effort, dead.  They'll find something new, but for now, all they can do is talk about coverups and obstructing justice without providing details, and getting personal with all the talk of Trump "roaring into the room", "getting upset", "blowing up", "getting into a snit", "refusing to play any more", "storming back home", "temper flaring up", etc.

So for folks who consume news mainly from places like msn.com, you end up with that picture in your head.

Here's a portion of his statements in the Rose garden after this melodramatic high-emotion scene.  He doesn't look very post snit/upset/roaring/storming/flaring to me.

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouse/videos/1159733690878947/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBwu20KnMXL1xDaPatIuWK03UURsypaCt6GP0YrhSP-jG8tnn6m0URfAOxX8LaR1wVImBtN3_5ZAU29Ae6D6KZEapcXaBzr9epSOl8eFu7lnaJ8qwXEkYWT1VIgV9LH4iL9k3V5XDWl5KiciIIRnzEmsYOjMcLDVl61vkflF2YvinI5MfJ8vhxxefYG8xI54WV03mVXQxLHAGkFKRRqIlJ8xAfmMGGJe8o0M9SZ7e1JfjPbM8g0inTrjsyPgJY53OVmb_YFmFlcYnpVDEb-aW4T9ZbY1M5ZDsCcHXD9QRYbCzxB9D2uY80ggvVf9gKHKRk6DyT-XocBtyiow6-p9ga6DCy1m3NA06lTphy2&__tn__=-R
-Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2019, 10:31:05 pm »
He is a con artist.  He can usually put on the facade he needs to appease his sycophants.

Hobbes

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2019, 10:56:24 pm »
The idea that the president of the United States can't agree to sign a bill addressing the dangerous condition of our infrastructure because the opposing party is being mean to him is... not great.

Signed: a bridge engineer

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 23, 2019, 11:09:39 pm »
So for folks who consume news mainly from places like msn.com, you end up with that picture in your head.
I get my news from NPR and the BBC World Service. I read analysis from Sratfor and the CATO Institute. I stopped reading MSNBC and Fox News years ago. I still think Trump's behavior was/is boorish.

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:32 am »
I've lost my free Stratfor stuff - was just thinking about getting back in the loop there.  Thanks for the timely reminder!
-Taalcon

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 25, 2019, 12:36:12 am »
$2 Trillion wish list without NO effort to come up with a way to pay for it. I am glad that was quashed. Where did the deficit hawks go? I hate my posterity as much as the next American, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

If you want stuff, pay for it. Raise taxes on all individuals and all corporations, especially multinationals.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1575 Posts
Roper Roper
1441 Posts
dyany dyany
910 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
787 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
582 Posts