Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events - US Politics Edition  (Read 31359 times)

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition
« Reply #405 on: July 15, 2019, 12:16:00 pm »
There have been literal Testimony Meetings where individuals bore testimony of him as a Great Example of a Father, and defender of Truth.
For context, my ward is also full of those who proudly wear Confederate Flags on their vehicles, homes, and clothing. This includes my Bishop's family.
Yeesh.  And all we have in my ward, is a lady who occasionally bears her testimony about how we all need to put the hymn books away right, or we're disrespecting scripture. 
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 15, 2019, 04:57:24 pm »
Taalcon, I can feel just a wee bit of your anguish. I don't converse with many in my Branch - so I don't know what any of the members political leanings are, except for one man and I have detested him from the moment I shook his hand in church when I met him. MY discernment SCREAMED at me to avoid him at all costs.

My husband went from hating Trumps guts to now praising him. I hate Trump, he is the devil incarnate to me. I see him, hear his voice or even read something he says - my gut roils and I shake all over in fear.

Hear the devil often enough and one will believe all he says and does, and then one will follow him into hell.

I fear for my husband. I fear for my country. It isn't often that I am at peace and NOT feeling ill in my own home. I finally had to get knees to knees sitting in front of my husband and practically scream at him to keep Trumps rhetoric out of my hearing & seeing. I also was so extremely angry that I actually threatened him that if he had the sound up on his computer so that I heard that man, I would destroy his computer. I would take the 5 pound sledge hammer to it. Promise, PROMISE, not threat.

The volume has been off - only going through his head phones since then.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:02:48 pm by Iggy »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Taalcon

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 15, 2019, 06:41:42 pm »
Taalcon, I feel for you. I'm in a very conservative Utah ward. My brothers and sisters here are compassionate and valiant saints. But, we can't talk politics. It's probably a good thing I serve in Primary.  I hope you will always feel welcome and accepted here in Nauvoo, Taalcon.

Any inkling that I had about possibly voting for Trump has vanished. After his recent racist tweets about elected officials hating America, I can't support him. In any possible way.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Scruffydog, Iggy, Hobbes, Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 15, 2019, 11:46:50 pm »
I'm super disappointed in Mitt Romney.  He had the opportunity to call a spade a spade and gave a political waffle instead. 

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 16, 2019, 10:32:00 am »
[quoteI hope you will always feel welcome and accepted here in Nauvoo, [/quote]

The question is will those that have opposing opinions be welcomed and respected?

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 16, 2019, 11:03:17 am »
I can absolutely welcome and show respect to individuals as a whole, but not claim respect to certain beliefs/opinions that are held.

I think the history of this forum shows the majority of members of this board engaging with different opinions that they clearly do not agree with or appreciate, but having a respectful conversation about it with those willing to engage. A big part of this forum is seeking to understand why people can feel a way very different from the way another understands things.

Some validly view support of Trump and his rhetoric and policies as a personal attack on them, their friends, their family, etc.

If you believed someone was bullying and abusing those you cared about, you would probably not respect the opinion of those who view the bully and abuser as a good person, and overall good for everybody. You might like the person, you might participate in many events or activities with them, but part of you would wonder why they approved of someone who, from your personal experience, was making life worse for you and so many others. And why they kept shrugging off your explanations and experiences as "fake news" and "just another opinion.", and "Well, I just don't see it."

I can respect people that acknowledge others' experiences, while still holding a different view, but I would, honestly, have a very hard respecting those who, in order to keep their view, must categorically refuse to acknowledge the others experiences exist.

Fortunately, I have had very, very, very, very few encounters with the latter on Nauvoo, and with those I did have, they generally didn't stay around long enough to matter.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 16, 2019, 11:52:32 am »
I can respect people that acknowledge others' experiences, while still holding a different view, but I would, honestly, have a very hard respecting those who, in order to keep their view, must categorically refuse to acknowledge the others experiences exist.
Now, see, in my funny dream, you were sitting there making these vague observations, and every single one of them was pointed directly at me.  Just done with words that wouldn't violate the social expectations of a fancy dinner party.  Me knocking over all the water glasses in order to call out dream-Taalcon violated it immediately, and earned me instant judgment as a low-class buffoon, as well as a permanent dis-invitation to the party.  I continue to giggle at the dream, now almost a week later.

Anyway, if you are thinking I might be one of these people, I'll share a story:

Election night November 2016 found me in a social media room for fans of Hamilton the Broadway play.  People there were panicking.  Some were openly sobbing.  Others were locking their doors and listening for sounds of boots belonging to swat teams going to grab them and make them disappear (half were afraid because they were GLBTQ, half because they were not white).  These people had received a serious shock, lost adrift on an unfriendly ocean in a sinking ship.  I did what I could.  I kept telling them that I was a conservative religious white guy, and they were all welcome to come hide at my house if they wanted.  The fact that I was probably 400+ miles away from all of 'em didn't really matter - several folks told me the offer helped, and they were able to calm down enough at least to drive home, or whatever. 

The event stuck with me.  Because of the lies they had been told and believed about Trump and his motives, those folks were genuinely afraid.  Not for their jobs, or their social acceptance, but for their very lives.  Literally hysterical.  I was worried some of them might start hurting themselves or others.  Online, I'm always the over-blunt no-punches-pulled insensitive arguer who is no respecter of persons, but I set it aside on that night to give genuine e-hugs to the panicky gays and latinos.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 16, 2019, 01:15:59 pm »
-Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 16, 2019, 01:33:50 pm »
   Not for their jobs, or their social acceptance, but for their very lives. 

Given the real and significant increase in hate crimes against  Latinos and LGBT since Trump's election, I think their fears have been fully substantiated.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 16, 2019, 01:48:06 pm »
   Not for their jobs, or their social acceptance, but for their very lives. 

Given the real and significant increase in hate crimes against  Latinos and LGBT since Trump's election, I think their fears have been fully substantiated.

Again, they weren't afraid about any "increase in hate crimes".  They were literally afraid of government troops breaking down their doors to kill them.

As for "real and significant", yeah, you may have caught some of the hysteria lie virus too.  Vandalism isn't being killed.  Stop it.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/apr/03/hate-crimes-are-increasingly-reported-us/
-Taalcon

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 16, 2019, 03:43:10 pm »
I have always had a few children of undocumented parents in my classes. After Trump was elected, they stopped volunteering at school because one must complete a background check to volunteer, and they are afraid that a background check will be sent to ICE and they will be hunted and deported. With Trump's nationwide raids now in full swing, ICE is using every database it can to hunt down and arrest undocumented people. Maybe not all fear of Trump is justified (the "safe rooms" on college campuses for people to cry about the election were hilarious), but many fears about this administration are reality in people's every-day lives.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical, Taalcon

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 16, 2019, 03:50:35 pm »
The question is will those that have opposing opinions be welcomed and respected?
As long as they abide by the charter, I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Huh. I just went to re=read our charter, and there's nothing in the "Please Read" section.

#######################################################################################################

*** Forum admins, where is our charter? ***

#######################################################################################################

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 16, 2019, 04:34:38 pm »
Free for all!  It's like when the government shutdown had the TV censors not working!

(poopie) (snicker)
-Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 16, 2019, 04:38:33 pm »
My Uncle is a videographer for the BBC. He's been threatened, and attacked at Trump rallies that he was covering by mobs because, just by holding a camera, he's part of the "Fake News Media" and is an "Enemy Of The People". These are at the rallies where the President of the United State POINTED at the Media Pool, and called them the Enemy of the People, reveling in the boos and vitriol of his supporters.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:45:08 pm by Taalcon »

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 16, 2019, 05:41:56 pm »
As long as they abide by the charter, I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Being welcomed and respected is a bit different from just being there.

Taalcon, I am sorry your relative was so badly treated. Are you suggesting that all supporters of Trump are equally guilty because some people that 'supposedly' agreed with them were violent? In that case, do all supporters of the left carry the sin of Antifa? I don't think they do.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1673 Posts
Roper Roper
1552 Posts
dyany dyany
969 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
835 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
680 Posts