Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events that do not Mention He Who Shall Not Be Named in any Way.  (Read 380 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Current Events that do not Mention He Who Shall Not Be Named in any Way.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 12:54:18 am »
That seems so ironic. Could it be confirmation of that old saying, “Power corrupts”? Could a person who once deserved the Nobel Peace Prize be corrupted to such an extent?

I just looked at the full list of all Nobel Peace laureates, & there are some truly fine, great people among them. I think some of the most appropriate ones have been to organizations, including the International Red Cross, the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, & Doctors Without Borders, that work for peace, harmony, & the betterment of people worldwide. There are many deserving individuals, but some selections can make you scratch your head & wonder if the committee was either making a political statement or just desperate to honor someone.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 07:56:46 am »
I have no idea what this is about.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Jason

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 10:47:03 am »
About the nurse and soon to be ex-cop, one lesson I have learned from this is to always work on your temper and demeanor with other people. We might think we are good under stressful situations, but who hasn't ever said or done something before thinking it through? To a family member, friend, co-worker, etc? If you have, then you could have been that officer. The events in a day to day flow of a job tend to happen as they are supposed to happen. It is the atypical that can really test us. Diffusing situations is a skillset that isn't taught to many people, especially when we are the ones who need to be diffused. The old axiom of taking a deep breath and counting to ten before saying or doing something impulsive would have made this whole event a non-event.

Hospital administration should have come down there in person, as opposed to being on the phone, as well as getting the hospital's general counsel on the phone. Front line nurses and doctors should not be the ones to interact with law enforcement.

The cover-up should also be looked into, as discipline seems to only have come out once the video was released.

The following users thanked this post: curlybat

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 03:19:22 am »
This is one of those tragic events that can’t end well. No matter what choice the people make, everyone suffers. It could probably fit into the Doctrines forum too, since this is an issue that is addressed by Church teachings that are not rigidly dogmatic but allow for individual situations

http://www.sfgate.com/lifestyle/article/She-rejected-chemotherapy-and-chose-to-die-of-12187420.php

This couple had 5 kids when they conceived again, then the mother learned she had a fatal brain tumor. They had to decide between chemo that could prolong her life but would mean ending the pregnancy, or rejecting chemo &  the chance to prolong her life to allow her to try to carry the child to term.

They decided to continue the pregnancy, but the mother had strokes that put her in the hospital on life support from week 22. She wasn’t even conscious any more. Eventually the baby was big enough to survive outside the womb but wasn’t moving, so the father decided (the mother wasn’t conscious) on a C-section. The mother died two days later.

The family says they are pro-life & live on faith. According to the father, “She gave up her life for the baby... I just want people to know that my wife loved the Lord. She loved her kids. She put anybody in front of her needs... She put my daughter above herself."

OTOH, he also said, “My wife's gone. I have six kids, three are under the age of 5. I'm just going to focus on my daughter right now, getting her home. As far as what I'm going to do after that, I can't tell you." He doesn’t even have an income source.

What a sad story, & what a dilemma. Since I don’t have kids, I can’t relate to this personally or have any idea what I might do. Even with the wise counsel the Church gives, & with divine guidance, it would be agonizing to decide. But I look at this dad’s statements about her giving up her life for her baby & putting the child above herself, & wonder about the other 5 kids. The parents’ dedication to their pro-life principles is admirable, but look at the cost. She loved her kids, but the two parents had to decide whether to give the 5 kids a few more years with their mother or (possibly) save their unborn sibling. Aside from the issue of choosing the life of the mother or the life of the fetus, imagine how this must have impacted the remaining kids.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 02:10:08 pm »
No brainer here.  Mom's life takes priority.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 03:43:12 pm »
No guarantee that mother would have lived with the chemo, especially long enough to raise the children.  Seems to me that if she died in six months of learning about it, the chemo would only be a temporary delay.  We really don't know enough to be able to assess this for her.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: curlybat, dyany, Palmon

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:26:45 pm »
No guarantee how long the mother would have survived even with chemo. No guarantee that the infant would have survived being so premature & weighing 1 pound 4 ounces. Either of them might have lived six years or six hours. That’s part of why it would be such an agonizing decision. Having 5 other kids adds to the dilemma. Do they stick to their principles because those are their principles, no matter what, which they believe are from God; or do they put aside their principles, ask God to forgive them, & maybe give those 5 kids a chance to have their mother for even just a short time more?

Since they chose their principles, I have to hope the remaining kids will not resent their parents or their youngest sibling for this.

Jason

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 06:42:22 pm »
I think the pro-life decision would have been to take the chemotherapy in the attempt to preserve her life.

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:44 pm »
Interesting how many pro-choice people in the comments condemn her choice.

If she rushed into a burning building, saving a child but dying in the process, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  We would praise her as a hero who sacrificed her life so a child could live, even though she was leaving her family without a mother. 

But people insist on using pro-life and pro-choice political excrement to obfuscate the issue.  This isn't politics. It's love and sacrifice and faith. And ultimately her agency.

The following users thanked this post: cook, dyany

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 08:37:40 pm »
No guarantee that mother would have lived with the chemo, especially long enough to raise the children.  Seems to me that if she died in six months of learning about it, the chemo would only be a temporary delay.  We really don't know enough to be able to assess this for her.

And we don't know what quality of life she would have.  She may not have been able to give anything to get children and been more of a burden to her husband having to cate for her on top of the kids.

That's why I will never judge what should be done in these situations. There are too many unknowns both ways and I have no ability to get inspiration for them so I will be supportive of whatever way they choose.
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, dyany

* Top Posters

Curelom
1010 Posts
Roper Roper
838 Posts
dyany dyany
695 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
571 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts