Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Current Events that do not Mention He Who Shall Not Be Named in any Way.  (Read 13680 times)

Taalcon

• View Profile
Re: Current Events that do not Mention He Who Shall Not Be Named in any Way.
« Reply #210 on: August 06, 2019, 03:18:39 pm »
President Nelson has even said, "good inspiration is based upon good information."

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2019, 10:59:56 pm »
If anyone is still reading at this point...

Using the 50 state chart previously provided, I did my own analysis of the most recent 21 mass shootings:

14 of them happened in states in the bottom half of the graph (strictest gun laws.) 7 of them happened in states in the top half of the graph (least restrictive gun laws.) If I was a member of the NRA (I'm not), then I could say, "States with the strictest gun laws have twice the number of mass shootings as states with less strict gun laws." Technically, the statement is accurate, but it means nothing. It's merely a correlation that could be used to score political points.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2019, 12:10:45 pm »
John Lott's approach is pretty valid.  When you take a statist approach, you're not doing yourself any favors.  Basically, it's important to study the trends.  What was happening with violent crime before some new law, and what happened after the new law.   What's the rate of things over time - this is important stuff to know, if we're going to have a clear picture of what's happening and what's not happening; What works, and what doesn't work.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Roper

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2019, 12:34:02 pm »
This one gets no national press:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/50373/man-goes-2-hour-stabbing-rampage-california-4-dead-james-barrett?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro&fbclid=IwAR0et63SwsikbZeYOc5eQEONulIxlv0070bvIrznLISES4n4si_qoAVWHoM

Man Goes On ‘Anger’-Fueled Stabbing Rampage In California: 4 Dead, 2 Wounded

In the preceding two hours, fueled by what police described as "anger" and "hate," the man allegedly unleashed attacks in at least six locations, robbing several stores and leaving four people dead and two injured, all of whom were also Hispanic.
The attacks were "random acts of violence," said Whitney, stating that the suspect "was not involved with any of the victims."
 The attacker also randomly attacked a man pumping gas at a Chevron gas station, stabbing him in the back and nearly "sever[ing]" his nose from his face, Whitney noted.
The rampage ended at a 7-Eleven in Santa Ana, where detectives had tracked the suspect's Mercedes and police ordered him to drop his weapons.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2019, 02:22:07 pm »
NT, that is a useful data point.  Compare only 4 dead in a time span of a couple of hours with a knife to dozens dead in just a few minutes when a gun is used.  Call me biased if you wish, but a knife wielder seems much less of a threat than a gun wielder.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2019, 01:05:24 pm »
The lesson from this story: keep your cool.

If any parents found someone they didn’t know in their 15-yo daughter’s bedroom at 2:30 a.m., & they throught he was a risk, detained him, & called the police, they’d be entirely justified. But these folks went stupid & started threatening & beating him & using racial slurs, & look what they brought on themselves. Not only are they facing felony charges – but they made the Washington Post.

If they hadn’t been dumb enough to bring race into the confrontation, the police would have sorted it all out, maybe the daughter would be grounded & the boy banned from the home, but no one would be in all this trouble.  :(

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Family-members-charged-wih-assault-hate-crime-14381291.php

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2019, 06:49:48 pm »
This is awful, just utterly terrible.

Drug cartel members in Mexico slaughtered 9 people from one of the colonias, settlements that branched off from the Church in the 1880s. They were dual citizens of Mexico & the U.S., all mothers & children. 

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/At-least-7-members-of-Mormon-family-brutally-14810203.php

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/11/5/20949767/3-mothers-6-children-killed-in-ambush-near-latter-day-saint-settlement-in-mexico

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2019, 03:09:51 am »
Ugh. That's just so controlling. And wrong.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: nitasmile

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2019, 08:23:40 pm »
Not to mention ill-informed --- lots of things can make them "no longer intact".
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2019, 09:01:36 pm »
Well, since T.I. has a history of using and selling drugs, I think Dayjah should demand that daddy get a drug test every month.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2019, 05:01:55 pm »
"I say, 'Look doc - she don't ride no horses, she don't ride no bikes, she don't play no sports, man -…”

She probably never leaves the house out of Papa’s sight or without a chaperone either. How is it that someone 18 years old tolerates this $#*+ from anyone, her father or anybody else? And how is it that a doctor goes along with this request? Wouldn’t a normal MD think there was something strange & maybe ethically dodgy about this?

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2019, 03:05:28 am »
Curelom, whatever environment a child is raised is what they see as normal and what everyone else's existence is like. It takes a long time to realize that, nope, this behavior is unacceptable. It takes longer to agitate for change. And the girl might think that she needs to go along with her father's antics to keep his love and, also, his financial support.

In some ways, it's easier to realize how screwed up a situation is when it's extremely bad. When it's "only" partially bad and the kid still thinks her parents are doing things out of love, it can be harder to move away from accepting that behavior. NOT putting the blame on the victim, but rather, understanding why she continues to go along with these things.

The doctor - well, no excuse there.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Iggy

* Top Posters

Curelom
1673 Posts
Roper Roper
1552 Posts
dyany dyany
969 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
835 Posts