Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: New curriculum  (Read 599 times)

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: New curriculum
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 11:15:38 am »
All I can say is that the manuals are a baseline.  When taught in youth classes (usually by youth, if followed properly), they will be closer to that baseline.  When taught to adults, a good instructor AND CLASS will always be able to enhance from that baseline to various degrees. 
Personally, I have had bad instructors but am rarely bored in classes.  Often that means I am not paying 100% attention because it means I have taken something that was mentioned and I'm pondering that at length in my own head while maintaining just enough attention to occasionally comment.  I know this isn't normal, because of the shock and positive reactions to the comments I make after the pondering.  But it doesn't mean that anyone is trapped at the baseline if their spiritual understanding is beyond that.  In fact, I would daresay that anyone who feels trapped at that baseline may not have as much spiritual understanding and maturity as they think they do.  Because the material has to be publicly adapted for the weakest of the Saints.  The rest of us are allowed, encouraged, and even have a DUTY to ponder and learn and extrapolate from that baseline.  If we abdicate what we get from a lesson to the level of the worst instructor, like they have 100% of the responsibility and we are only there to be entertained and elucidated without effort on our part...well, we're not doing it right.
My pondering starting questions to myself are usually along these lines:
-what core principles, in modern terms, can I glean from this passage?
-how does that affect my perception of my personal experiences?
-how can I apply these principles to my current circumstances to improve them and/or my perceptions of them and bring me closer to God?
-what are ways in which these principles can be applied and/or understood in not just my life, but a modern context, and the specific context of the people around me in this room right now?
-in what ways could this information be presented to help the people around me understand the principle better to help them be happier and closer to the Lord?  (And yes, I do this extensively as a student.  EVERY time.  Because I feel as much responsibility with my comments as I have felt as an instructor.)
-how does this gospel story/parable/history apply to other instances in ancient and modern teachings?

It helps that I knit in class. :P  I have ADD and that helps calm my brain enough to pay attention and ponder better.

The following users thanked this post: libertygranny

libertygranny

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 11:42:10 am »
Thank you dyany!

I am persoanlly excited for this new Come Follow Me curriculum to come out. I loath the current manuals used in Primary. I taught YW when the new Come Follow Me came out and I loved it...it was my teaching style. I also hated sitting in RS and have the teacher just read the lesson straight out of the manual....no discussion, etc because she felt we had to cover the whole chapter!

And yes, you as the student in class get out of class what efforts you put in. We also have to remember, not every member is as spiritually mature as some of you may be, so yes these manuals are a baseline.

But what I really love about them is that they all correlate....what you are asked to study at home as a family the week prior will be re-inforced that Sunday in all the classes. I also like it because any concept you or a member of your family is struggling with may be presented by the teacher in a way that helps with understanding. And you know what the beauty of the manuals are....you can enrich the lessons to your liking at home.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:53 am »
I have mixed feeling about the added correlation.  The new expectation is that FHE must follow the manual.  On one hand, having canned fhe lessons will ease the burden on parents a bit.  On the other hand, there will be a perception that one shouldn't deviate from the manual, rendering tailoring to the needs of the family less likely.

As for the baseline argument, I don't know about RS, but EQ teachers almost always go in barely prepared.  That means baseline every week, and with these manuals the content is do thin we'll be done in 10 minutes. 

And some of the suggested ideas are just dumb.  Look at gospel art pictures and share our feelings on them?  A consequence stick?  False dichotomies?  These are fine ideas for primary, but for adult material it is downright insulting.  This isn't baseline, more bottom of the barrel.

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 02:27:55 pm »
Ok, so the way I see what I looked is that it's a topic and I as a teacher can build the lesson as I'm inspired. If that is the case, then I think this is good.

Traela

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 12:04:06 am »
No opinion on third hour, but the Sunday School curriculum is much better than what is currently being inflicted on the kids.

ketchupqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 02:03:25 am »
Ok, so the way I see what I looked is that it's a topic and I as a teacher can build the lesson as I'm inspired. If that is the case, then I think this is good.

Is that not the way all lessons are taught, all the time? *confused* That's certainly the norm in my ward (in SS, RS/PH, YW, Primary, Nursery...)

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:26 am »
I think in many lessons you are to follow inspiration of course, but you are to use much of the elements in the manual. Like the current RS & Prirsthood manual, you're supposed to use quotes from that with scriptures, not find all kinds of quotes about the title and use only those or no quotes at all...

The following users thanked this post: dyany

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 12:16:29 pm »
I think the Church is trying to deal with an inherent dilemma in the gospel and church, as has been around since Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 
We are on earth to learn through our own experience.  Through DOING.  Through PRAYING.  Through the SPIRIT.  It is absolutely essential.  Leaders should only be there to teach us correct principles and let us govern ourselves.  But too many people are scared they will make mistakes or bad things will happen if they do not have very exacting rules of what they shouldn't do and what exactly they have to do.  They don't want to act or think independently.  I will admit I was personally like this most of my life.  I often begged Heavenly Father to 'just tell me exactly what to do and I will do it.'  But He NEEDS us to figure things out.  It's interesting that one of Joseph Smith's problems was being pestered day and night by every little question from almost every single Saint. 

We are not here to learn to be marionettes.  Quite the opposite. 

However, as we all well know, waaaay too many people think that learning to be independent means they can do whatever they want., or are just too lazy and disinterested in being good to think that anything but very specific rules count.  The first group doesn't follow the commandments that ARE given, and in no way seek the Spirit.  The second doesn't give a flip about the Spirit of the law, and will often find 'loopholes' in the letter of the law to feed their natural man desires.  Not only does this produce the problems directly caused by the rebellion and disobedience, but it drives the rule-following saints crazy.  So, all too often, they make more rules and more rules, especially because of the 2nd group who ARE somewhat deterred in their bad choices if there are exact rules banning their exact behavior.
The problem is, more rules doesn't solve the real problem, which is that these people need to be 'anxiously involved in a good cause.'  They need to be actively seeking to become like Christ.  You don't need micromanagement for that.  You need to seek the Spirit and instruction through prayer and scripture study.  It's simple because we, individually, must personally decide to work and seek and grow to fill in the blanks.  If we don't learn that it is completely up to us, if we don't start really trying, then no amount of exact rules, or precise and micromanaged lesson plans, will save us.  I feel that the Brethren have seen this and are worried about it.  I believe that the new lesson manuals are an effort to urge us to start thinking more independently and seeking learning and understanding through the Spirit and our own study.  Because it is absolutely essential for our eternal progression that we develop the initiative and wisdom that cannot be gained by micromanagement and hand-holding.

The following users thanked this post: pnr, ketchupqueen

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 01:47:05 am »
When I taught an adult Gospel Doctrine class years ago it was the D&C and at the time was chronological rather than topical.  I preferred that a lot over what we do now.  I too hope SS sticks to the scriptures.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: ketchupqueen

ketchupqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2017, 06:13:35 am »
I think in many lessons you are to follow inspiration of course, but you are to use much of the elements in the manual. Like the current RS & Prirsthood manual, you're supposed to use quotes from that with scriptures, not find all kinds of quotes about the title and use only those or no quotes at all...
Ok, that makes sense I suppose.

Being used to teaching, and having lessons taught, in this manner, in a ward where people actively engage with the teacher, to me it just looked like they stripped down the framework to work from and dumbed it down and made things harder on the teacher. But I can see what they may be aiming for, if there are teachers that do this (there are teachers that do this?)

ketchupqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2017, 06:21:32 am »
Dyany, that's very true in many ways.

Every once in a while I visit a ward where a lesson is taught micromanaging rule followers, or sometimes a well-intentioned lesson gets hijacked by a loophole-finder, and I'll find myself thinking, "Is this truly happening the church of Jesus Christ? This doesn't feel like His gospel."

I guess my ward has been very lucky in teachers the past few years (though now I think of it, there was Sister FalseDoctrine 6 or 7 years back whose lessons in RS were all folk doctrines, faith promoting rumors, bad poetry, and political screeds in such a horrible mix I often skipped her lessons. But she only lasted 13 months or so.)

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2017, 12:20:24 pm »

Is that not the way all lessons are taught, all the time? *confused* That's certainly the norm in my ward (in SS, RS/PH, YW, Primary, Nursery...)

I have found that many teachers have not read, not known was there or ignored this instruction in the front of the manuals:

Seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost as you prepare to teach. Study the chapter to become confident in your understanding of President Hinckley’s teachings, and prayerfully select the teachings that you feel will be most helpful....

As you teach from this book, invite others to share their thoughts, ask questions, testify, and teach one another. When they actively participate, they will be more prepared to learn and to receive personal revelation.

Allow good discussions to continue rather than trying to cover all the teachings. ...

Read together some of President Hinckley’s teachings in the chapter. Ask participants to share examples from the scriptures and from their own experiences that relate to those teachings.

By that I mean that rather than "select the teachings" and "allow good discussions" many teachers try to cover it all or most of it.  Yes, we were asked to actually use quotes from the lesson in our lesson, but that never meant we couldn't pull in scriptures, our own stories, discussion or different learning methods. 

It's been kind of funny because there have been some complaints about assigning conference talks for sacrament meeting talks.  Some people read through almost all of those talks for their own talk.  Some people are even kind of ornery about being assigned to give them.  Their thinking is that if they have been assigned that talk that they must only give what is in that talk just as those teaching the prophet lessons think they have to stick with reading quote after quote. 

This is part of the reason we have the teacher's councils - to learn the skills to teach in the way the introduction describes.  I would love to have more of this in the teacher's councils, but having studied about if for several years it may be more helpful to add just a few skills each year. 
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: ketchupqueen

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 12:40:07 pm »
Thanks libertygranny for posting those.  It will be interesting to see how teachers deal with this.  What I saw in it was an expectation for members to do more study at home and more thinking in class.  No longer a process of spoon feeding the whole lesson to the students as many teachers have done.

I think it will still be tough for some teachers.  Some have experienced the reading the whole lesson all their lives and don't have good examples.  Some teachers think the lesson is all about "me" so they have to come up with good content and entertain those in class.  Some of them will really fight expecting more of the students and many students will take a while to develop trust that when they come to class learning responsibility is on them. 

I am seeing the new curriculim as a good thing, but leaders will have to work hard with some teachers to get past what they have done in the past.   Hopefully they will see this change as a starting point and not just continue what they have always done.

That is one thing I have found good about the YM and YW getting the Come Follow Me first.  I know that the repetition got old, but for those YMYW who were allowed to teach as they were supposed to do they will be gaining these skills and becoming the new teachers in RS and priesthood.  I have seen this happening with my youngest the last 2 years  since my husband became his leader and does have the boys teach - there are only a few of them so they rotate between leaders and boys.  It has been more of a struggle with the my daughter because her YW leaders haven't wanted to give up giving the lessons, but fortunately through seminary and institute she has been learning by example how to teach through her teachers.     
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1010 Posts
Roper Roper
838 Posts
dyany dyany
695 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
571 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts