Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Garments  (Read 1181 times)

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
Re: Garments
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 10:20:00 pm »
I also just bought the new cotton/spandex tops with the printed markings. No indication anywhere of a lifespan, including of the markings.

And now this makes me wonder.... If the markings wash off after 20 or 50 or 100 or whatever, does that de-sanctify the garment?

The following users thanked this post: Jen

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 11:00:32 pm »
I used to have 100% cotton ones that lasted about a half dozen washes...
Seriously? You washed them 6 or 7 times & they fell apart? :( I have 100% cotton & I find them very durable. Some I know I've had for more than a year, & none of them are threadbare after dozens of washings.

Why are markings being printed on some - economy? Maybe they're only going on spandex. I like the embroidered markings because I can feel them.

It's probably time for me to go to Distribution Center & check out all the fabrics, which will be an extra trip since the Oakland Temple is closed until 2019 for major renovation, but I'll find some other occasion when I need to go to the East Bay. Mostly for curiosity, because I like 100% cotton & don't expect to stop wearing it, so as long as they don't tamper with that I'm OK!

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 06:39:34 am »
I used to have 100% cotton ones that lasted about a half dozen washes...
Seriously? You washed them 6 or 7 times & they fell apart? :( I have 100% cotton & I find them very durable. Some I know I've had for more than a year, & none of them are threadbare after dozens of washings.
Yes, seriously. They weren't threadbare, nor did the seams come apart. The fabric itself just ripped, fast and furiously. Gloriously huge rips. It was like the fabric had just rotted and decided "no more". It ripped so easily that there was no way that any repair job was likely to keep it together.

It was quite a while ago - about, oh, 16 or 17 years ago I think. Hopefully, the fabric is much better quality by now. But as for me, I won't be buying 100% cotton again.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:53 am »
You must have had a really seriously goof. I wear cotton most of the year because summers here are three days long and it rains the rest of the time (hows that for overststing?)    In any event cotton is most comfy.    Its the lace trim thats the problem for me.
Possibly becausse once a week the white load is washed at 60C with Vanish and white wash detergent.
The cotton stays white but the lace goes grungy.
I hope we all are duly reporting wear problems and fitting problems to the distribution center...otherwise louder voices wil get heard.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 10:38:37 pm »
The lace trim is a problem for me, too. I have huge legs. I have always had huge legs. When I was skinny, if I were to fit the garment bottoms based on my waist, it would have been a size 28 or 30. Fitted for my hips made it a 32 or 34. If I were to fit them for my legs to be comfortable, it would have had to be at least a 38, but probably larger. The elastic/lace trim bites into my legs in the most uncomfortable way.

I normally prefer cotton or other natural fibers, but have switched over to drisilk. Partly it's due to the lace trim thing, but partly, it's because I sleep better in drisilk - it's easier for me to switch position and the cotton/poly provides too much friction for that.

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 09:44:58 pm »
I loved the Carinesa when I first got them. Now I find that I feel a bit like I'm wearing plastic wrap all day. My shirts stink faster when I wear them, too.

I want to try the stretch cotton, but I wear mine for far longer than 50 washes. I'm also curious to know what we're to do when the markings wear away.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:39 pm »
The new stretch cotton bottoms have no elastic on the edges.

I suspect for those of you having cotton and elastic come apart that condition may be the result of bleach use --- cotton is originally a gray (because that is less expensive) and it is dyed white.  So bleaching it tends to turn it dingy instead of whitening.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Jen, dyany

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 12:53:50 am »

I suspect for those of you having cotton and elastic come apart that condition may be the result of bleach use --- cotton is originally a gray (because that is less expensive) and it is dyed white.  So bleaching it tends to turn it dingy instead of whitening.
Not me. I don't use bleach in the laundry. Ever. I don't think I ever have for even one single load.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 02:43:46 am »
I have problems with halogens so do not use  chlorine bleach....the whitening agent I use is another chemical.  And the elastic thread in the lace is not durable either...

It baffles me still that something so important and special is a problem for so many.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 09:02:23 am »

Not me. I don't use bleach in the laundry. Ever. I don't think I ever have for even one single load.

On the cotton whatever else it is made with bottoms that Hubby loves it says right on the label, Do Not Use Chlorine Bleach. BUT to get out the stains and keep them looking good, I use a whitening additive and a small amount of liquid detergent in the first wash. Then after the rinse and before the last spin I stop the machine, turn it back to wash, add my homemade laundry detergent, all fabric powder bleach then let it go through the wash/rinse final spin cycles. With the tops it is just my home made detergent and all fabric powder bleach plus a pod of whitening. I also put them through a second rinse.

With my DriSilque - homemade laundry detergent and all fabric powder bleach. When the first wash & rinse cycle is done, I start the machine at Wash and put it through another complete cycle with no detergent, powder bleach, anything. I am soooooooo sensitive to the washing powders/liquids. If my outerwear smells like detergent, then it gets put through another rinse before it goes into the dryer.

DriSilque doesn't have lace - well only around the neck & I can tolerate that. What bothers me is the bottom hems curl up. Good thing I can't get at them easily while I am wearing them, otherwise I would *fret* at them constantly.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1344 Posts
Roper Roper
1141 Posts
dyany dyany
819 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
677 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
420 Posts

* Recent Posts