Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: New Weird News Thread  (Read 6706 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird News Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2019, 04:09:57 am »
It is indeed!  ;)

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2019, 12:32:55 pm »
Boy I laughed at that.   (But I wouldn't be surprised if neither description fits the actual facts if it were the actual people inferred to be.)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2019, 01:13:16 am »
I figured it would be good for a laugh. And if anyone reads advice columns, which I do now & then mostly for entertainment, you know that Abby, Amy, Harriette, etc. get supposedly real letters from supposedly real people asking questions like those.

Does it seem to anyone that many, even most of the questions in "Agony Aunt" letters could be resolved by the people themselves if they would stop & think for a few minutes? Or many of them are none of the letter writers' beeswax or are just plain ridiculous? Some of those letters seem to be a sign of people’s growing helplessness & inability or reluctance to think for themselves. Examples:

DEAR ABBY: My cousin recently married a lovely girl, someone he'd been dating for a couple of years. Our whole family loves her, and she's always been very sweet to us.

She's very intelligent and kind, but the issue is her wardrobe. She's pretty but refuses to wear nice clothes. Instead she wears baggy, boring clothes. Our family is fashion-conscious, and I know my cousin has suggested to her several times that she buy new clothing -- to no avail. He thinks she's self-conscious about her body.

Her birthday is coming up, and my sister and I would like to take her shopping as a birthday gift to buy her some nicer clothes. My cousin thinks she might not appreciate it, but he agrees that she needs new clothes. He also suggested buying her a gift card to somewhere, although that wouldn't solve the problem of which clothes she buys with it. Do you think that taking her clothes shopping for her birthday would be appropriate? -- FASHIONISTA IN CONNECTICUT
and

Dear Annie: I met the man of my dreams at the workplace. At the time, I was in an abusive marriage and had given up all hope, and then I met "Howard."

Here's the problem: Howard is 45, still lives in his parents' basement and works from home. He doesn't pay rent or utilities, although when he gets a paycheck, he gives his mother some money. On the other hand, my daughter and I have our own place. We make ends meet. Howard bought me a laptop for my birthday and a bedroom set for my apartment, has fixed my car and recently put new tires on it.

He has done so much for me, and I am grateful. But because he still lives with his parents, it limits what we can do. He says he is obligated to his mother, daughter and grandchildren. His job sends him on extended trips to other countries where he sometimes spends four months at a time. He says this job looks good on his resume.

I am also aware that Howard has a drug addiction, and I hate it with a passion. We drink together, and it's all a fun thing, but then he gets forgetful and confuses me with some of the other women he's been with. When I ask whom he's talking about, he starts yelling that it was before we dated. I trust him, but I don't know how to do things by degrees. All of my heart belongs to him.

Am I being selfish, or is this man so comfortable where he is that I come in second? -- Need Your Opinion
::) ::) ::) ::)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2019, 12:12:29 am »
A court in Michigan ruled that customers who had their tires rotated at a shop, & were hurt in an accident because the mechanic forgot to tighten the lug nuts & a tire fell off, do not have a case. In effect, the mechanic was obligated only to put the tires back on but not make sure the lug nuts were secure.  :o

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/does-tire-rotation-include-tightening-lug-nuts-michigan-court-thinks-about-it-for-awhile-concludes-no/ar-AAJcuaB?ocid=spartanntp

So if you have brain surgery & the doctors leave a hole in your head, that's OK?

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2019, 01:43:58 pm »
Wow. That's just so wrong.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2019, 12:38:08 am »
Another case of "What in the world were they thinking???"  :(

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/us/iowa-gender-reveal-death/index.html

What happened to the old-fashioned idea of having people over for cake & ice cream, or maybe a taco party with a piñata that makes the "reveal" when it breaks open? Or, even better, saving their energy for the fun times to celebrate with baby showers, birthdays, etc. Besides, who are parents to say they're having a girl or a boy, when the child might change gender identity multiple times before even being near puberty?

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2019, 03:49:37 am »
Holy carp!

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 06:10:32 pm »
The latest wedding fundraiser. This couple actually thinks their family & friends are going to donate MORE.  (If anyone does, they are inviting people to be "judgmental"  ;D ;D ;D)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/couple-cancels-wedding-keeps-dollar30k-as-donation-for-honeymoon-instead/ar-AAJT9dc?ocid=spartanntp

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 09:07:48 am »
The latest wedding fundraiser. This couple actually thinks their family & friends are going to donate MORE.  (If anyone does, they are inviting people to be "judgmental"  ;D ;D ;D)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/couple-cancels-wedding-keeps-dollar30k-as-donation-for-honeymoon-instead/ar-AAJT9dc?ocid=spartanntp

This was a marketing stunt. See this article.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2019, 09:56:58 am »
Oh yay.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2019, 05:25:28 pm »
OK, another gender-reveal gone sideways - literally. It happened at a town called Turkey, Texas (I did not make that up). At least no one was killed, although a plane did crash.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Pilot-Crashes-Crop-Duster-in-Gender-Reveal-Gone-Wrong-564669421.html

Repeat after me: Let's invite some friends & family for cake & ice cream.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2020, 10:59:51 pm »
Oh, for Pete's sake. Are there really people with this much free time on their hands & so few useful or constructive things to do?  ::) ::) ::)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/05/us/walmart-bed-bugs-released-trnd/index.html

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2020, 09:32:11 am »
This is a COVID-related topic, but it seemed just as appropriate in this thread since it isn't about the complexities of the disease or the political issues that it's causing in some places.

What an adventure these young people are having, but they are ready to go home anytime now. They are from Bolivia & were on a European performance tour, & they got stranded in Germany when the travel bans took effect. They have been SIP for more than two months in a 16th century royal castle that they say is haunted, & packs of wolves wander around the grounds.

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Bolivian-Orchestra-Stranded-in-Haunted-15292404.php

I guess it could be worse. What if they had been giving concerts on one of the Carnival cruise ships?

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2020, 09:03:40 pm »
That was really cool to read about, but the one question I had wasn't answered. WHY are they staying at the castle instead of a hotel or some other place?

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2020, 11:06:16 pm »
They are staying in a guest house on the premises. Not sleeping in the castle as such. Another article told: In the meantime, only on Monday 18 May could they step inside the castle for the first time, as tours restarted for the public. Before that, they had stayed in the estate’s building and grounds." The article is not good. Here's a better one.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/orchestra-stranded-german-castle-haunted-wolves-coronavirus-bolivia-pandemic-1234615376/
or this
https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/coronavirus/bolivia-orchestra-stuck-german-palace-wolves/

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 [4]
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

• - Holidays -
  • holiday Independence Day

* Recent Posts

Re: Cabin 2.0 by Curelom