Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Burial  (Read 256 times)

Susan

• Greenie
    • View Profile
Burial
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:55:07 pm »
My 15 year old grandson asked me why  we are  buried in our temple clothes.  I gave a couple of guesses but I have never thought about it before.  So....why are endowed members buried in our temple clothing?

Taalcon

• View Profile
Re: Burial
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:56:59 am »
Tradition mixed with symbolism. I think the idea being they are visually laid to rest in the way they will next be seen and risen: as a covenant maker prepared for dwelling in the presence of God.

I think it breaks down if too much detail and literal meaning is attempted to be placed into it, but I can see how many find beauty and hope in the pageantry.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:11:34 am »
During my tenure as a counselor in RS, whenever we dressed a sister's body and placed her temple clothing on her, the RSP would always say, "Let's remember, sisters, we are dressing Sister X to meet the Savior."  That was reason enough for me.

OTOH, I am very heavy and I plan to be cremated.  I've told my RSP that I'm fine with having them place my temple clothing with my body prior to cremation to spare them the burden of having to dress me.  I have absolute faith that when everything is restored, my garments and clothing will be on my body as needed. 

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Patty Rain, Taalcon

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:53:26 pm »
I don't know and I realized I've never thought of the why, but for me it has seem to be a sort of 'faithful to the end' symbol.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:54:09 pm »
I don't know and I realized I've never thought of the why, but for me it has seem to be a sort of 'faithful to the end' symbol.

Except that you don't have to be worthy of a temple recommend to be buried in temple clothing. You just have to be a member with their temple covenants in tact - ie blessings restored if previously excommunicated.

Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »
A neighboring ward buried two people in the last week, both from part-member familiess & both in temple clothing at their request. According to the handbook, if possible, deceased members who were endowed should be buried in temple clothing.

Nowhere does it mention a current recommend, diligence in keeping the commandments (which no one really knows they are doing except them & the Lord), or other conditions. As I read it, it includes those who have made the commitments & accepted the covenants contained in the endowment in the understanding that these are part of the path back to the presence of God; including those whose blessings have been reinstated. I think many of the instructions in the handbook are vague, to allow for interpretation by members with appropriate reliance on the Spirit & by priesthood leaders if needed.

Similarly, when the handbook says if possible, it leaves some situations open to circumstances.  It says "should," not "must." Perhaps a body cannot be located or is destroyed. A person may be the only member in their family & relatives for whatever reason refuse to have them clothed. There would be other reasons, & Heavenly Father knows them all & knows what each of His children would have wanted.

We wear temple clothing, the symbol of the covenants, in a prescribed manner as we prepare to enter the celestial room, the physical representation of Gods presence. Id agree with folks who say temple clothing for burial is mainly symbolic. The clothing is the outward sign of an inward commitment, but it is not an ordinance of salvation. The person inside of it is what the Lord concerns Himself with. Scriptures tell us we will face our Father & Savior in all our nakedness, meaning that any physical attributes wont matter & it is we ourselves who will be judged & found worthy or unworthy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:06:56 pm by Curelom »

beefche

• Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:09:00 pm »
If one is cremated, is one still dressed in temple clothes? Do the dead wear clothes when being cremated?

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:33:23 pm »
If one is cremated, is one still dressed in temple clothes? Do the dead wear clothes when being cremated?

Yes, unless like my oldest sister who weighed nearly 675 pounds, her garments & temple clothes were folded and placed on top of her, including the ceremonial items.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 01:14:55 am »
Beefie, from what I have heard, in the US, the dead are traditionally dressed when cremated, often in just as fancy or formal of clothing as they have for a burial.  In fact, it's a somewhat common form of thievery that crematorium workers often steal jewelry and such from bodies before they are cremated, as most family members never check if the melted/destroyed jewelry is actually in the ashes.

Susan

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 10:45:41 pm »
Thank you for your replies.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1010 Posts
Roper Roper
838 Posts
dyany dyany