Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: "It mattereth not what ye eat or drink"  (Read 374 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
"It mattereth not what ye eat or drink"
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:32:39 pm »
Here is an interesting small item I just stumbled on.

The Vatican has been mulling over the use of gluten-free or low-gluten wafers for Holy Communion (their equivalent of Sacrament). The wafers, also called the host, come from manufacturers approved by the Catholic archbishops, just as kosher food producers are certified by organizations of rabbis. I imagine just as with all Christian churches that take Communion, it’s been challenging for the Catholic Church to accommodate people all over the world with a wide variety of health, allergy, cultural, or other concerns about food. We know there are people who latch onto nutritional fads, but celiac disease is a major concern for many.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/world/europe/vatican-gluten-free-bread.html

We’re blessed to have the gift of continuing revelation, & a prophet who was tuned in enough to God’s voice to hear that He doesn’t care what specific items we use to represent the body & blood of Christ. All He wants is that we recognize the symbolism & take the Sacrament with an eye single to His glory & remember His Son's sacrifice (D&C 27).

The revelation included both the bread & wine, adding that we should not use wine purchased from enemies but only “new made” among us. He did not specify why, & we could come up with a number of reasons. In 1830, it might have been literally dangerous for the Saints to buy food or drink from enemies. We would have no control over the potency or alcoholic content of such a drink, or it could have been tampered with. It might simply be unhealthful because it wasn’t made properly or in sanitary conditions (the best way to know that anything is done right is to do it yourself). Maybe, recognizing that the use of wine or spirits is often for unrighteous reasons like getting drunk, seduction, or building up the courage to do evil, He did not want us to be complicit in those purposes. Or perhaps by “new made among you,” He meant fresh grape juice or plant extracts or infusions, not fermented beverages.

I hope the Catholic Church comes to a solution that helps all their folks who want to renew their covenants & remember the Lord’s sacrifice in a way that’s healthy & they don’t have to worry about side effects. In taking the Sacrament (or Communion) more than in any other situation, people need to feel safe.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
Re: "It mattereth not what ye eat or drink"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:15:03 am »
My wife was recently diagnosed with a pretty strong gluten intolerance, and being aware of quite a few in the ward who have something similar or more severe, I'm been trying to get the ward on board with a practical way to consistently have a GF alternative available on the Sacrament Table and trays. It's going ... very slowly getting it implemented.

I visited a ward once that had a little container of Rice Chex on each tray for those who needed it. I loved that option. I've become super grateful for D&C 27, or else, due to a Mormon tendency towards minute literalism, we might be having the same debate being hashed out for sacramental bread that people still want to have over what is technically covered in D&C 89 :P

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:18:00 pm »
Yes, Section 89 does unfortunately get used to justify some odd hobby-horses, like no white flour, no chocolate, & whatever. Sigh.

In our ward, the people who need GF typically bring what they can have in a plastic bag that's put on the tray that will come to their pew, & those who will pass it are briefed ahead of time.

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:11 am »
My old ward had enough people with gluten issues in our population that we went entirely to gluten-free bread for everyone rather than risk contamination or worry about the extra logistics of coordinating baggies of bread. I have no idea how the financial side of purchasing enough bread for the congregation every week worked out. I would like to believe it came from fast offerings.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:53:09 am »
In my ward, specific people are scheduled to bring bread for Sacrament each week. These are typically folks who don't have demanding callings, sometimes those with limitations on callings they can have, but need or want a chance to serve. If there is bread left over, it goes in the freezer for future emergencies (e.g. when someone forgets to bring it).

If the people assigned to bring the bread are dependable and conscientious, & we know they can always be relied on to bring gluten-free, that could work. If they are flakes, then it's better that one person be in charge of bringing it all the time,

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 01:01:10 am »
That's interesting. I thought in all the Wards the Teachers bring the bread. We have two of them, so we rotate it monthly.  We only have about 160 attending so one bread is enough. We have one glutein free and rise crackers for her, but the stores do have pretty well glutein free bread so I don't think that would be a problem. It works well this way too, though.

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 10:47:41 am »
Problem with deciding only GF bread will be served in Sacrament is, when sharing a building, you can't be sure the previous ward will, and you can't always trust the Teachers to super-cleanse the trays in a way that would guarantee cross-contamination. And if the congregation is always assuming it's GF bread, if on one single day that ISN'T the case, a big announcement would have to be made to make clear. And because of those (legitimate) fears, many GF members may just choose not to partake anyway.

I hate forcing the members w/ allergy-intollerance to bring their own, simply because many won't, or may run late and not get it to the table in time.

It's why I kind of like the idea of having an easy, inexpensive alternative (like the rice chex cereal) in a closed container placed on each tray.

In our church, things need to be as consistent and streamlined as possible, or, well, it just won't get done.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 10:20:06 pm »
Taalcon, you make great points.

I like the idea of chex rice simply because it is so recognizably different from bread. And I love the idea of using a separate closed container to prevent cross-contamination. Cross-contamination can be a very serious problem for some people.

Sacrament bread isn't something I have to worry about since wheat/gluten is not one of my allergies/health problems (thankfully), but I have so many other allergies that I know what it's like to have to be very very careful about what I can safely eat.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Taalcon

Traela

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:07:07 am »
When we had one person in our ward with a severe gluten intolerance, a few different remedies were tried.  Finally, he would just hold it in his open hand while the prayer was being said.  Not ideal, but I'm sure The Lord understood.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 12:14:04 am »
I'm in the camp of doing whatever works, so why not?
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Taalcon

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:33:53 am »
Yes, Section 89 does unfortunately get used to justify some odd hobby-horses, like no white flour, no chocolate, & whatever. Sigh.

In our ward, the people who need GF typically bring what they can have in a plastic bag that's put on the tray that will come to their pew, & those who will pass it are briefed ahead of time.

same here

Jason

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 11:14:18 pm »
My ward started using wine a few months ago. It has been a nice change. We got a surge in sacrament attendance for those curious as to what wine tasted like.

(That might have just been a dream, but it would be nice to do it that way).

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:58:54 pm »
My ward started using wine a few months ago.
Well, that's a relief. I was afraid you were going to say you started using Coca-Cola!   :o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:01:11 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Jen

* Top Posters

Curelom
1041 Posts
Roper Roper
859 Posts
dyany dyany
720 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
588 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl