Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: A parody of bad writing  (Read 210 times)

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
A parody of bad writing
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:30:18 am »
I happen to have fallen into a rather large crowd of unruly LDS writers in the last year.

Many of them are published and some work in the industry as editors, slushpile readers, etc.  As a sort of prank this week, one of them secretly got a bunch of us together to write the worst story ever, then got our friend Lisa (managing editor at Shadow Mountain) to send this to her brother (who is a slushpile reader at Deseret Book), requesting that he look it over quickly as a favor and convincing him it was a serious submission.  To our utter delight, he started telling us about how awful 'this submission he had received' was before he figured out it was a prank, so we got the added joy of seeing him figure it out. :) 
It was such a hit that an author page was created and the story is now published for free on Smashwords, and we hope from that we'll be able to publish it for free on Amazon soon. 
I invite any and all to go download it and enjoy!

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/733388

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Patty Rain

• View Profile
Re: A parody of bad writing
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:03:58 am »
Loved it. Really, really, really loved it. Read to to Rad Rex, my super duper loving hubie and we laughed like the man in a suit whose laugh is like a bowl full of jelly which tastes like Jolly Ranchers.

But I have 1 serious question. When Mark didnít take his diabetic medication and his blood sugar was then low was that meant to be bad writing as well? I can't tell you how often I have seen diabetics on TV shows have low blood sugar and then get insulin shots are given to them to bring them out of "shock". (PSA Do NOT give a diabetic with low blood sugar insulin!) So I am wondering if that was intentionally written, knowing that is the wrong thing to do? I've even written a show asking them to put up a warning to not give insulin because I have seen that happen so often in the shows.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:06:10 am by Patty Rain »
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »
Patty: I was really tempted to correct them on that--since the medication is usually to bring BG DOWN, not up, but then I realized that speaking on an illness or situation upon which you have zero experience or knowledge and then don't research it...well, that's part and parcel with bad writing, so I let it slide. 

In some ways, this is a handbook of what to avoid in writing.  But unless you know how things are SUPPOSED to work, it will slip past most people. 

Otherwise, I am so glad you loved it.  :)  I will post the link to the next installment when it gets done.  It's amazing how quickly we can crank these out when there is not editing or any kind of quality control. ;)

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:20:16 pm »
Yes, if it didn't happen so often in the media anyway I wouldn't question it. I can't remember any time when I have seen a diabetic portrayed realistically or 100% true. It is scary to me because I know people are learning from it.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 12:28:08 am »
I know, right?!  And the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 are PROFOUND and require rather different approaches to control, which throws people way off, including many who HAVE one of them.  My step-grandpa (who admittedly didn't seem to have any real desire to understand or properly take care of his illness) had type 2 and refused to do anything but insulin, insisting that was all he needed.  Which is why he's dead.

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 04:47:30 am »
There are even medical people who don't get it. I had a friend who has type 1 who in grade school went to theviffice to see the nurse for some sugar when he got low. Luckily he was with it enough because she wanted to give him a shot.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1057 Posts
Roper Roper
874 Posts
dyany dyany
733 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
592 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts