Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Home exercise equipment  (Read 77 times)

Curelom

• View Profile
Home exercise equipment
« on: June 28, 2017, 03:53:45 pm »
I've been looking for a compact body weight exercise device that can work in a 1-bedroom apartment without taking acres of space or making it look like a gym or health club. None of my interior doors will accommodate TRX or similar systems - the hall door will but that would mean propping it open during use (ha ha, mini Cirque de Soleil for the neighbors :D) & taking everything down each time.

I was surfing idly & came across this handy little thing, which comes from the U.K. It looks ideal for small-space situations & even taking away from home. It weighs a bit over 20 pounds & dismantles into a portable package.

https://porta-gym.co.uk/

Has anyone seen anything like it available in the U.S., or has anyone actually used this Porta-Gym & have an opinion of it? Even though the shipping charge is a reasonable $45, I don't want to rush into ordering it to be sent across the ocean to me if I won't like it.

pnr

• View Profile
Re: Home exercise equipment
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:29:05 pm »
Isn't the best weight resistance, push ups and pull ups?

Aren't resistance bands the smallest most compact exercise equipment?   https://greatist.com/fitness/resistance-band-exercises
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Home exercise equipment
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:34:18 pm »
Push ups and pull ups only work the upper body.  If you want to work the core, then planks are good, and leg work is important, too.  Resistance bands are decent, but limited.  Basically, you really need to figure out what your workout goals are.  Aerobic strengthens heart and lungs and can burn calories intensely, but only for a limited time.  Strength training builds muscle (which has a lot of long-term weight-loss and other benefits) and can help with maintaining bone integrity.  Then you have exercises that help with mobility, etc., and you have to consider your personal health and limitations.

I have had a treadmill for years, but it really wasn't enough, and I found that as my breathing capacity decreased, aerobic training was harder and harder to do, which left me doing nothing.  I had some small hand weights, but that was very limited.  I finally joined a gym in September, and though I haven't been able to go as often as I would like due to the lung health year from heck, the flexibility of being able to do strength machines on bad lung days helped me do far more than I could have done otherwise.  Plus, as someone who is remarkably good at injuring herself (I currently have 2 broken ribs from coughing), being able to use strength machines, which don't work as many muscle groups as free weights but REALLY reduce my risk of injury, has been invaluable.  And at about $20/month...well, it's well worth it.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

* Top Posters

Curelom
931 Posts
Roper Roper
810 Posts
dyany dyany
674 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
542 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
401 Posts