Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: DNA  (Read 671 times)

Palmon

• View Profile
DNA
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:29:15 pm »
Have you taken a DNA test? Which one and why that one? Did you learn anything unexpected or find family members? A friend was found by her nephew, adopted at birth - it turned out alright but the mother had to tell her children about the unknown sibling.

libertygranny

• View Profile
Re: DNA
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:40:38 am »
i have thought about it, but why? just doing genealogy will tell you where you come from. unless you are adopted, then maybe doing a DNA test would be a good idea.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:06:43 am »
I would like to do it.

An article recently came out about some people having multiple genes for producing alpha tryptase. Multiple copies of alpha tryptase are commonly found in at least some people who have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, and Mast Cell Activation Disorder - EDS, POTS, and MCAD, which is a trifecta of awfulness. I have all three. It was previously thought that EDS caused POTS and MCAD for some people.

I'd like to find out whether I fall under the multiple copies of alpha tryptase thing. It won't help for treatments - that still has to be developed, and will likely take somewhere between 10 to 20 years before there's something available as a treatment. But knowing that this is the cause would be a nice piece of information.

DNA for genealogical information isn't so important to me. I know where my ancestors come from.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: dyany

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:34:30 am »
I have thought about it. Just for the sake of it. I doubt there will be surprises, but never know. We know one ancestor came to Finland as a merchant in 1500s. We know one is suspected, cannot be confirmed, to be an executioner from Denmark earlier than that. But if the DNA would give hints from earlier times, it would be fun.

Our sons dna is under scrutiny for mefical reasons. They've bern doing the searching some 5 years now I think. It would be nice to get some results from that.

Sarahgirl

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:54:21 pm »
We have done several of the Ancestry DNA tests for genealogy purposes. My parents are both converts and their families only came over to the United States in the early 1900s.  Most of my family records are in Poland, Ukraine, and Russia.  Because of the wars and changing governments, most of the records have lots of holes in various periods of time.  (These countries are putting more and more records online, but not all of them are available.) Also, the people were moving every generation or so.  I have most of my family members back to the late 1800s but the generation before that can be hard to find. A few lines I have closer to the early 1800s.  Most of the DNA matches to members in my family only give clues as to which families might be related, but it is helping.  The matches sometimes have ancestors with records in the same churches as my ancestors with matching surnames.  I can't find the exact relation yet, but it is a likely match and I can help do their family's research until we do find the connection.  Also, because of all the moving and the wars, I often don't know where my ancestor's siblings and their descendants ended up.  Having a DNA match, especially when I can figure out the connection, often gives me information about a hundred years+ worth of family members.  This is really helpful since privacy laws often stop me from finding more recent records. 

We had Zeta-flux take the DNA test, too.  He is from pioneer stock back generations.  Usually we know exactly how his matches are related to him right away.  However, one of his DNA matches recently contacted me.  She's his 3rd cousin from a line that left the church.  She didn't have family information.  We were able to give her information she didn't have and now we know about her.

I may not be time to do temple work for the more recent generations, but by having the information someone in my family can do it later when enough time has passed.  There is always the possibility someone else related to those family members will join the church and be related closely enough to do the temple work sooner.  It will all be ready for someone to do when it is time.

One of my friends is married to a man who was adopted as a child.  He was born to a teenage couple out of wedlock here in Utah.  They did an Ancestry test and were able to track down his father.  They tried to be very careful in how they approached the family, not wanting to upset anyone or reveal something that was private.  The father and his family took it in stride and have welcomed them in.  They now have another set of grandparents and family members.
Member #350 joined June 2001

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 12:46:37 am »
Laurie, there is a company that buys your DNA for research for rare diseases. I guess they tell you what research your DNA is being used for and send you $50.00.  Apparently for each study they use your DNA for, they send you a new kit to swab your cheek. According to their web-site the other DNA companies are actually selling your DNA to research companies already. Unfortunately, I think they are only offering this to people in the US and maybe Canada.
https://www.dnasimple.org/about

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:52 am »
Palmon, thanks for mentioning that company. Yes, they're currently only for the US and Canada. I would love to get involved, but that can't happen now.

For all I know, that might be one company my brother signed up with. He has an extremely rare genetic retina thing, and he's donated his DNA to at least one place and is anxious to provide it to any organization that can do some good with it.

I'm glad that organizations like that exist.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Palmon

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 01:48:30 am »
DNA has been a valuable family history tool for me.  I first got involved with it a number of years ago when it was still early.  It helped dispel a family connection that had been thought to be true for some years - so my surname line didn't go back near as far as it did before.  It is good to know the truth and to this day some still can't get go of that connection.

I have used DNA for both our adopted daughters.  It solidified some information for our oldest (now 12, adopted at 8).  She has some strong LDS lines that I was glad to point out to her.  I even took her to a reunion (she happened to have a couple connections in our ward).  It also points to some future possibilities.  I was even contacted by someone who may be the biological brother of her grandfather who was adopted as a baby.

Our youngest adopted whose family history we know very little about, I now know more certainly is Ute, Paiute and maybe even some Navajo.  DNA tests don't determine tribe but the matches point in certain directions.

I recently got my mom to do a DNA test.  She was born in Belgium and so far all her family history has been in Belgium.  She was told by her mother that there was some Spanish family history on her side but it hasn't surfaced yet.  That is still a good possibility according to her DNA but it also showed a lot less Belgian DNA origin than we expected.  There is a mysterious presence of Great Britain that showed up in her DNA origins.  We're suspecting in her ancestry may be some Celtic which ended up in Great Britain.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:12 am »
DNA through Ancestry.com has confirmed some genealogical connections that were otherwise very tenuous. As in, there were names and family through the records we thought were the person we were looking for, but the records weren't concrete enough to be absolutely certain.

Then, I became DNA matched with an individual who had that individual on their tree in a way that that line was the only overlapping material in our lines, and the estimated relationship was exactly as it should have been.

--

Also, it was just cool for me to see my national origins beyond what I could discover in genological data (I am sooooo Irish, turns out), and we also did it for my (adopted) son. Some very, very cool stuff.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:55:14 am by Taalcon »

Sarahgirl

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 12:26:48 am »
If you are going to do the mitochondrial DNA test (the one Ancestry does), then Ancestry is likely the best choice.  They have the biggest database right now and are growing quickly. Also, they allow you to download your DNA, but you can't upload a test from somewhere else. I have uploaded my Ancestry DNA to gedmatch, myheritage, and ftdna. That has helped me find more matches.  One thing to know is that Myheritage is really inconsistent on accuracy as far as I can tell.  My husband with pioneer ancestry knows his family way back and some of his matches there seem really unlikely.

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 03:12:52 am »
Actually Ancestry DNA does autosomal DNA testing, not mitochondrial DNA testing.  Mitochondrial follows the maternal line.  Back when I originally did DNA testing through Family Tree DNA it was Y-chromosomal (paternal) with the option to do Mitochondrial (mtDNA - maternal).

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 02:31:51 pm »
I am not sure how this DNA genealogy works.  I was born in America, my father and his mother were born in Mexico, maternal great grandfather was born in America.
Paternal grandfather born in America (and backwards from there.)  Eventually I go to Ireland and England (no real surprise there).  So how will my DNA help me find all sorts of interesting dead people???

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 09:30:53 pm »
I can't answer how it connects to family lines but you may find that through your father's mother's line, you have roots in Spain and into western Europe. Or perhaps you might also find Mayan or Aztec lines. Through his paternal line - who knows what you will find. Some of the companies claim they can narrow the region down in Ireland and England. But you may find surprises there, too. There is an ancestry commercial about a man that thought he was Scottish, only to learn he was more German BUT his siblings may be the opposite. It boggles my mind. In Ancestry and Family Tree they can connect you to living people who may be related (siblings, parents, cousins, 2nd cousins) - you'd have to actually find the link, you'd just know you are related and to what degree. Of course, if you don't want to be contacted and remain anonymous , they do that too.

Sarahgirl

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 02:24:38 pm »
Thanks for correcting me on the autosomal DNA thing, curlybat.  I should have looked it up to make sure I remembered it correctly.

I just got an unexpected blessing because of a DNA match. Someone on Ancestry matched with my mom's DNA.  He was looking over our family tree trying to figure out the connection, when he recognized some other names.  (We still don't know how we're related.)  He had inherited a bunch of family pictures and some of them included my family members.  His grandparent/great-grandparents were friends with  my great-grandparents/great-great-grandparents.  When he offered to give me the pictures, I figured they would be of family events from his family that my family had attended. No! He had two pictures of a huge wedding party in front of my great-grandparent's boardinghouse.  It was my great-grandmother's sister's wedding.  So it included my great-grandmother and her siblings.  He also had portraits of several of my grand-uncles that I had no/very few pictures of. There were about 9 pictures that were basically just of my family members.

One of the pictures was of a 3-4 year old boy who was my grandmother's cousin. I just recently made contact with another DNA match who is  that little boy's granddaughter.  She is visiting him next week.  She is going to show him all the pictures to see if he can name any of the unidentified people. How crazy is that!?!

The following users thanked this post: curlybat, dyany

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 01:24:42 am »
Fantastic, Sarahgirl!  What an exciting find!

* Top Posters

Curelom
1090 Posts
Roper Roper
890 Posts
dyany dyany
742 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
606 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts