Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Gift and gifts of the Spirit  (Read 161 times)

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
The Gift and gifts of the Spirit
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:54:02 am »
The more you know the more you do not know.  Sunday School lesson was over the Gift of the Holy Ghost and the gifts of the Spirit. Sad to say the lesson just obfuscated the subject.  A question about skills and talents held by non members was asked.  No clear answer was given.  I researched a bit.  Nothing I can find is a clear and meaningful answer.  I come away more confused.
We all have in born natural talents and skills.  Those are not gifts of the Spirit?
Those who are baptised receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  I surmise that that is a condition where we can expect the wisdon, comfort and inspiration of the HG as we live of it and need it after baptism.
But the gifts of the Spirit look like skills and talents people outside the church also have.  Thus it is confusing.
Are the gifts of the Spirit connected to the work of the Kingdom, and when we are called into a calling or assignment , we are able to tap into latent abilities that help us fulfil whatever task it is so that God works through us to establish Zion?
Anyone know talks or articles that really lay this out in a consise and straightforward way?
There is a brother asking questions whose English is very decent but anything really scholarly would not be immediately helpful to him.
I tried to answer him but felt like I tripped over the concepts.

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gift and gifts of the Spirit
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:11:47 am »
I think I would begin with a study of the relative scriptures: 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, D&C 46, AoF 7.

It seems to me that there are various gifts of the spirit which are given to each person as part of our mortal journey here.  I understand that the gift of the Holy Ghost is specifically given by the laying on of hands by those who have authority.

My understanding about the difference in spiritual gifts between members and non-members is directly linked to covenants--we consecrate our gifts, whatever they may be, to build the Lord's Kingdom.

more later...

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:42:39 pm »
I think when we talk about gifts of the spirit, we tend to mix in a lot of stuff. My belief is that what the scriptures speak about are gifts that are for those who have received the gift of the Holy Ghost. Others are talents.

Like I quite often interpret at sacrament meeting. I'm not a professional, but they say I do it pretty well. Do I have a gift of spirit, gift of interpretation or translation? No, because I don't do it by the Spirit, I do it by what I've learnt. When I've prayed about an issue and I'm reading the scriptures, and I clearly understand something that isn't literally said in the scripture and I feel the Spirit teaching me, then I experience the gift of interpretation in a small portion. Through the Holy Ghost.

When I went to the MTC and went to the temple for the first time in English and understood it all, was it because of the gift of tongues? No, it was because I had studied the language. But when my companion went for the first time, in English, never been in the temple before and she knew very little words in English, yet she understood it all. That was because of the gift of the tongues (and because I'm sure most were praying for her to understand as much as possible).

Can one have the gift of wisdom or knowledge, if it is not based on truth and the Holy Ghost confirming that truth?

I believe they are gifts of the spirit for those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost. Others may have talents in those things, but there is a difference.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:23:34 pm by cook »

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:54:42 pm »
We come with certain gifts.  D&c makes that clear.   But I have no doubt that the Holy Ghost can expedite and enhance the development of spiritual gifts that we weren't specifically given.   Once you have read about the hundreds of people in Africa who sought the gospel, were told no one was coming and then built their own congregations, who were baptized years later in huge groups when missionaries were finally sent, it is impossible to believe for an instant, that church membership has to proceed getting or using spiritual gifts.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:38:55 pm »
But I think spiritual gifts and gifts of the Spirit the scriptures tell we should 'seek after' are different even when they seem to be the same.

For example one can have great faith in God. But untill you actually have the true knowledge of God, can it be a gift of the Spirit? A spiritual gift, yes.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:50:11 am »
All my life I have been guided, led by *Gut Instinct* also *Women's Intuition*. After marrying Hubby #2 and becoming more active in church the realization that these feelings-promptings-warnings came from the Holy Ghost. The more I walked with God, obeyed His commandments - the more easily I was able to interpret this wonderful gift of Discernment.

Yep, even back when I had fallen away from the church I had this gift. I pretty much listened to and heeded it also. When I was bar tending one afternoon a new customer walked in, my **gut instinct** aka discernment sent Clanging Bells of Warning clear through my body. I immediately told Hubby #1 that this guy was bad news and I wouldn't serve him. To please get him out of the tavern. Fortunately in Oregon you can use the You Appear to already be intoxicated and thus I would be in violation of the OLCC ruling regarding serving VIP's (Visibly Intoxicated Person's) - so you will have to leave the premises.

The guy left, but not before he pulled a shiny, sharp, Bowie Knife from inside the back of his shirt. Fortunately he did this in front of the open side door, and the city's Chief of Police and his deputy were entering to have lunch. They took the Bowie Knife and him into custody.

No, I didn't see the weapon as he walked by me when he came into the tavern - but the Holy Ghost certainly did and *gut* kicked me in warning.

That is just one of the very many warnings I have received during my lifetime. I know there are many that I have not heeded - but there are more that I have.

Since being active again in church, my gift of discernment has broadened out and includes much more spiritual warnings. If I humble myself after the first tingling of caution I am able to more fully see/feel the total warning. Like the time when I was pretty much floored with the feeling of dishonesty and corruption emanating from a new to the branch member.  The only one who believed me was Hubby #2, though we both tried to explain/warn the Branch President.

Four years later her true colors became obvious to the BP. A year after that she moved on to a new town. As much as I wanted to go to the BP and tell him I Told You So - - I didn't. Hubby told me that in doing something like that would likely drive the Holy Spirit away.

Now, I also have gifts of talents. I embroider. In the past, when my hands didn't hurt and my eyesight was way better I embroidered beautiful designs on Chambray shirts, pillow cases, place mat, napkins and table runners. I also color. Again, back when my hands and eyesight was better I did free hand sketches with pastelettes, crayons, and colored pencils. I hunted down and found Adult coloring books (NOT XXX Adult either, and not paint on velvet ~ ~ shudder ~ ~ ~) before the recent craze. Also found the gel pens and fine point sharpies to add to my collection of crayons and colored pencils. The pastelettes are gone and I am not fond of them anymore.

Another of my gifts is that I can easily see what the outcome(s) of a particular action of others/myself will be. For myself I will either pursue it to fruition or take appropriate steps to insure that it does NOT come to fruition.  When it is my Hubby who is the other person, I will caution him - tell him what I feel/see and then leave it to him to engage his Agency.

If it is someone else, and the outcome could be evil &/or dangerous, then I distance myself totally from the results.

What amazes me is that this gift of discernment works not just IRL, but also over the internet, emails, phone calls, written articles, etc. Plus it works not just as a warning but also as a confirmation of good. The first general conference that President Monson was first sustained as our Prophet, I was nearly brought to my knees with the affirmation that he was truly chosen by Father to be His living prophet on earth. I was crying so hard I couldn't see and breathing was hard. I finally had to pray for an easing of the Spirit, that It was just too much. This is the same affirmation I get when I do initiatory's and the sisters accept the work.

Also, when we are confirmed after baptism  the words used are: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings/20.2?lang=eng&_r=1#20.3.9   scroll down to 20.3.10 

Uses the words “Receive the Holy Ghost” (not “receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”).
bolding is mine

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:32:17 am »
Even when we refer to the the ordinance, we don't have consistent language.  That's partly where the ambiguity comes from. AoF 4: "We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:56:33 pm »
All I know is that I made a comment as a kid asserting that Mormons were more talented than the rest of the world. Boy, did my dad put me in my place in a hurry, and I'm thankful he did.

I learned so much about love from him. I miss him.

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog

* Top Posters

Curelom
892 Posts
Roper Roper
784 Posts
dyany dyany
634 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
513 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
400 Posts