Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Duration of Callings  (Read 442 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Duration of Callings
« on: April 24, 2017, 02:54:58 am »
What is the usual duration for various Church callings? We know that bishops usually serve for 5 years, but what about other ward callings?

Several people I know have had (both recently & at other times) callings that they accepted because they felt duty-bound, but didn’t feel inspired about them & wondered how long they’d have to wait until they could look forward to being released. Not teaching callings where we prepare from standard materials, teach at specific times, & have control over when we do our homework & the time we spend & no one is bugging us during the week, but major leadership callings. For instance, YM, YW, RS, or Primary presidents, who put in huge amounts of time & effort not only for meetings or events, but also intangibles like planning, reaching out to members, determining people’s needs – & they often don’t know when something will come up that's out of their control. I daresay the RS or YM president might devote a lot more time to prayer about their calling than I would in preparing a Sunday School lesson.

I know ... we aren’t supposed to second-guess the revelation that comes to our leaders about callings, & the law of consecration (our acceptance of it, if not its actual implementation) governs our work in the Church. But I know people who do struggle with them, especially folks with families and/or jobs that also require their time & energy. They may not come right out & ask to be released, but is it wrong to do their best while hoping the Lord will relieve them before it wears them out?

AndrewR

• View Profile
Re: Duration of Callings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:04:43 am »
General rule of thumb for EQP, HPGL and RSP would be about 3 years - to ensure they are actually able to be effective and accomplish something.

YW, YM - as long as possible. How long you are president may depend on previous calling - were you a counsellor before, so total time away from quorum/RS.

Primary - very individual. We have a stake Primary President who has served virtually exclusively in Primary her entire church life. This is her second term as stake. But she has served in Primary as president in the three units in the stake she has been a member of. She would not want to be released. For others, two years is enough.

Clerks and Exec Secs 2 to 3 years.

I am stake clerk and unless I move I will be in this calling until at least the release of the current SP (called one month before me, over five years ago), and probably longer. I have served in the Stake Sunday School president for nearly 7 years - last nearly three as president).

A previous member of our area presidency told us the when he was stake president his high councillors served for only two years. We go considerably longer because replacing them is hard in our stake - currently at 9/12.

I think in general if you feel a calling is no longer working for you, you should discuss it with the person responsible for the calling.

Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:30:03 am »
What Andrew said seems to be similar here. Of course things happen, so that you have to move people around earlier. It seems that in most teaching callings here we try to keep it two years. Some say earlier they jsut can't do anymore, some want to continue longer. I mean as a Primary when someone has been teaching for about 1˝ years we start asking, how do you feel, should we start looking for a new teacher (since it might take that 6 months to get one). Some say no, I want to continue, and then we let them.

They do try to release the Primary presidency after two years too, but it depends. We've been now a few months over two years and they just asked, do we feel we need to be released asap, or could we go on until the end of the year (we said sure, though finding people to callings is hard, other than that this is quite easy, you basically have your turn to teach only every third Sunday, though at times you need to sub in Nursery, classes or music...)

I understand the idea behind having the youth leaders longer, at least some in the presidency. It's good. Unless you get one you really don't like (meaning the kid doesn't like).

I  know for sure there are many callings that are not inspired but just because someone needs to do the job. Nothing wrong with that. I think the bishopric asks, and even more often the people say, for how long can they do it. I mean they ask, do you think you could do this calling for a year, or someone says, I accept the calling, but only for a year. And that's fine too.

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:56:28 am »
If there's a bell curve for somethings, it's kind of flat and wide for a lot of callings. 

I was exec secretary spanning the administration of 3 bishops.  I loved that calling, and often flat out told them I didn't want to be released.  I got to 'train' two bishops, both seemed to appreciate my efforts.  One of them even called me his third counselor.
"Somebody should have set a match to this place long ago."

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:46 pm »
We have two colleges in our ward boundaries, so we get a lot of young couples/families in our ward.  Our turnover rate for callings is pretty high as they graduate and move to their next ward.  For most callings in my ward, two years is on the longish side. Most of them are 12-18 months.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:45:14 am »
When I moved into my current ward, I learned that a RSP had accepted the call on the condition is was for just one year.  Several after her only served for that long too.   I don't think there should be an expiration date, though I do think that leaders have heavy burdens and the ones making the callings should stay really in tune to how their families and they are feeling about their service.

I also think that Primary people should commit and be committed for each full year, and start the first sunday in January --- kiddos deserve that level of stability. 
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Iggy, Roper

Susan

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:12:25 am »
In my ward it seems like most people average being in their callings about 2 years, but a few members seem to change a lot quicker than that.  The last time I was RS president I had that calling for almost 4 years.  Right now I have been the Gospel Doctrine teacher for almost 3.5 years and haven't been released yet. 

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 10:51:04 pm »
I served as Primary secretary for 3.5 years, and when my living situation changed, was then called to be a permanent Primary sub for the remainder of my time living in that ward. 

I've now been a Nursery leader for 21 months and a Bears Den leader for 18 months. Yes, at the same time. We have a fairly small unit.  I would not object to being released from either, except I'm kind of worried about what I'd be called to next  ;D

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 08:07:51 am »
Most callings I have seen were 2-3 years.

The handbook actually states ward missionaries is 2 years.
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 08:23:33 am »
I have moved a lot so I haven't held any callings for very long.  Plus I now live in high growth area, so in 10 years I have been in three wards and two stakes without changing my address.

Not all sequential.  There are gaps and overlaps (2 callings at the same time).

26 callings, 373 mo = avg 14.3 mo.  shortest: 2 mo. longest: 3 yrs.

Starting in Mar 1983 it went like this:

First 5 yrs: Not much
2 yrs: YMP, counselor
1.5 yrs: SSP, counselor
6 mo.: SSP
1 yr: Primary, teacher
1 yr: EQP, counselor
2 yrs: Ward Mission Ldr
5 mo.: Ward finance clerk
3 yrs: EQP
6 mo: EQ, teacher
6 mo: ward clerk
9 mo: YMP, counselor
2 mo: EQ, teacher
2 yrs: SS, Adult GosDoc teacher
1.5 yrs: Temple worker (Chicago)
1.5 yrs: YMP
1 yr: Primary, teacher
6 mo: SS teacher, youth
2 yrs: EQ, teacher
2 yrs: Cannery assignment (1 night/wk)
6 mo: Ward missionary
9 mo: HPGL, Assistant
3 yrs: Ward FamilySearch Indexing Director
4 mo: SS, Adult GosDoc teacher
3 yrs: HPGL, Secretary
1 yr: Sacramednt coordinator (took sacrament to home-bound widows)
6mo and counting: HPGL, Assistant
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:31:51 am by kazbert »
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

* Top Posters

Curelom
1037 Posts
Roper Roper
858 Posts
dyany dyany
720 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
588 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts