Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: I'm meeting with my Branch President on Sunday afternoon  (Read 238 times)

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
Re: I'm meeting with my Branch President on Sunday afternoon
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 10:55:30 am »
Follow up after the meeting, in writing, confirming what you said and what he said and committed to.  Make sure your SP gets a copy of it.   If they are assigning him to go into anyone's home, then send a copy to the Area Presidency and the First Presidency too.   That way they'll do it, having been fully informed.
I totally get the desire to do this, but not sure it would be all that helpful.

Documenting who said what when, and making sure everyone knows it, just isn't that effective at getting people to do what you want.  For one thing, it bugs the crap out of them.  Might as well show up with a video camera or even a news crew.  For another, it clearly communicates a suspicion, a lack of trust.  If I had raised my hand to sustain this guy, I don't see how I could do what pnr is suggesting here.  That looks like the opposite of sustaining to me.

That's why I prefer just putting everything you have to say into a letter, including a copy from the website proving he's a sex offender, and then sending it to BP and SP.  Between the two of them, they'll take action.  What that action is, is probably none of your business.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:27:13 am by N3uroTypical »
"Somebody should have set a match to this place long ago."

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, LMAshton, Roper

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 12:05:08 pm »
Palmon: in the beginning, yes.  But 'otherwise good people' often NEED to be informed, and while not engaging in gossip, hearing tidbits needs to prompt them to find out the truth.  If it is true, to take appropriate protective action.  If false, to stand up for the falsely accused.  I don't accept 'not engaging in gossip' as an excuse for ignorance.  You don't have to spread it to find out the truth and take appropriate action. 

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 12:39:18 pm »
PG - I was there on Sunday 26th March. Sadly, you were not there.
I am so sorry I missed you.  Please let me know when you plan to visit again.  I have many problems with my Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Moving about in the morning is one of them.  My work schedule is now 2-10:30 pm to accommodate this issue, but Sacrament Meeting can't be rescheduled.  I hope to see you when you come over this way again. 

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 08:38:41 pm »
I totally get the desire to do this, but not sure it would be all that helpful.

It is absolutely helpful in making sure that all the parties making and supporting a decision are making a fully informed one, though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:49:28 am by dyany »
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

palmetto_gal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 12:25:08 am »
Between the two of them, they'll take action.  What that action is, is probably of your business.

NT:  is the word "none" missing from the second sentence?

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:17 am »
PG - I tend not to say I am coming in case my plans have to change. Right up until about 4pm on the Saturday I wasn't sure if I would have to work the Sunday.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 10:27:38 am »
Between the two of them, they'll take action.  What that action is, is probably of your business.

NT:  is the word "none" missing from the second sentence?
Yep - all fixed!

palmetto_gal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 03:05:28 pm »
I met with my Branch President today.  He walked in, I was already seated.  He suggested we begin with a prayer, and he offered the prayer.  I remarked that today's Sacrament Meeting was very inspiring and uplifting, and he agreed.  Then I said, "I don't know exactly how to put this, but I've heard that Bro. & Sis. XXX are being assigned to the Branch for two years as proselyting/service missionaries."  He replied that he did not know that, but he had only had two weeks' notice when another couple from our Stake had been assigned to us.

I then told him, "If they are indeed coming, then you probably need to know that he is on the SC Sex Offender Registry." and I handed him the printout.  He replied that he hadn't seen their membership records because they haven't been sent to our Branch yet, but he would look for an annotation and would also speak with the Stake President.  He mentioned that he had served as a Bishop in Alaska and was familiar with this kind of situation.  He thanked me for coming to him with the information.  I told him I hated that our first official meeting was on a negative topic and I didn't want him to think I was trying to act as a vigilante.  He assured me I had done the right thing, and that it could in no way be described as gossip.  We ended the meeting by discussing how to make sure everyone in Branch Council is supposed to ensure that various meetings and programs are entered into the lds dot org calendar so that I can use it when preparing the weekly bulletin. 

I must say that ever since I decided to meet with my Br. Pres., I've felt a sense of peace about the issue, and the meeting itself gave me personal confirmation that bringing this issue to light was needful.  He did state that the wife of the couple should have shown more restraint about publishing the info about their mission.  As he said, "But that's social media for you."

If they do show up in our Branch, I'll post about it, but somehow, I don't think they will be assigned here.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, N3uroTypical, dyany, Roper, Patty Rain, Hobbes

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 08:02:35 pm »
Good job, PalmettoGal.   :)

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

* Top Posters

Curelom
878 Posts
Roper Roper
758 Posts