Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Is re-purposing your kitchen a creative hobby talent???  (Read 151 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
Is re-purposing your kitchen a creative hobby talent???
« on: April 15, 2017, 10:54:50 pm »
Over the past year I have been Nesting. My kitchen has been chopped up by the original owner and it is a Royal Pain In the Bum to work in. I re-purposed the spice wall to be the Pot-n-Pan peg board that is painted red that also now has two rectangular wire baskets hanging at the mid-way point holding ALL of my utensils that don't hang from the Cooking Utensil Peg Board that is painted red also.

The cupboards under the counter by the sink and the Pot-n-Pan board now have roll out lid holders on the upper shelf and two bins holding all of the dish towels and dish rags. Oh, yes, I removed the doors and also removed the center 'support' on the bottom shelf. That way the bins can more easily be accessed. The doors were another Royal Pain in the Bum - had to move the cats water dish and the kitchen stool before they would open.

Next re-purposing was the peg board on the end of the counter nearest the dining room - The Sieve Peg Board painted blue. F

The last project was the sanding down of the 2" thick butcher block counter. Real butcher block. The last owners dumped latex stain-n-varnish on it. Then realizing they ruined the block, they took an electric hand grinder to sand it off. Left some real nasty gouges. After 6 years of working on it and washing it, most of the latex varnish is gone. I took a palm sander and sanded the remaining varnish and the stain off. Got 2/3 of the gouge marks out too. What is left is left. I ran out of energy and ended up in the worst pain ever. Right lower back all the way to and including the entire foot. Cleaned the counter all up and saturated it with Mineral Oil. Boy Howdy does it look good!!

Next mini project is to sand down my cutting boards. Two of them were made by my little brother in his sophomore and senior wood work shop classes. Back in 75-76 & 77-78. 42 & 40 years ago! :o  I love them.

After that, remove all of the cupboard doors, sand and then shellac them. Along with the sides of the counters. By all I mean in the kitchen, laundry room and both bathrooms. That I can do sitting down outside on a dry day, 'er days. Plural. Probably will end up doing the bedroom, bathroom  and closet doors too. The last owners went bat-ahem crazy with that stain/varnish crap. Did EVERY wood surface. Fun ~ ~ ~ not.

Palmon

• View Profile
Re: Is re-purposing your kitchen a creative hobby talent???
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:39 pm »
Yes! What you are doing is so impressive and yes, creative! I think there is even a TV show about people who pick up 'junk' and repurpose it into beautiful, useful items.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy

* Top Posters

Curelom
1041 Posts
Roper Roper
859 Posts
dyany dyany
720 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
588 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts