Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 257 times)

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
What are you reading?
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:30:27 pm »
I thought we could use a literary thread in the spirit of "What are you watching?"

I'll go first.

I'm reading American Public School Law for one of my classes.  It contains a fascinating study of the Supreme Court cases which have shaped school law.

Right now, the most interesting case to me is Morse v. Frederick, 2007: High school students were released from school to watch the Olympic torch parade. One student, Frederick, crossed the street (therefore not on school property) and held up a banner which read, "Bong hits 4 Jesus."  Morse, the principal, ordered Frederick to take down the banner. When Frederick refused, Morse suspended Frederick for 10 days. Frederick sued, claiming that his first amendment right of free speech had been violated.  The Ninth Circuit Court agreed, and held that the principal had violated Frederick's right to free speech. In a 5-4 decision, SCOTUS overturned the lower court's ruling and sided with Morse, ruling that the school may regulate student speech which is antithetical to the school's anti-drug message.

While I don't condone Frederick's actions on moral grounds, I believe the SCOTUS legal decision was wrong. Students, as citizens, don't shed their constitutional rights when they pass the schoolhouse gates. The decision gives enormous police power to the school. However, educators are neither commissioned nor trained to be law enforcement officers. Furthermore, Frederick's stunt was on public grounds (not at the school) and was intended to attract media attention. No reasonable person would construe that Frederick was an agent of the school who was promoting drug use.  He was a kid hoping to get on TV.

Anyway, I would have thought the 1100 page legal tome to be a total snooze fest. Much of it is, so I do a lot of scanning.  However, there are some cases which really merit careful study and consideration. 

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 01:01:02 am »
When the Westboro Baptist people came to protest in Tampa (2009? 2010?), they chose to do it across from one of the high schools on the peninsula.  CrowSon was planning to join the counterprotest, when word came down from the District Powers-that-Be that any and all students doing so would be suspended.  It was the same thing--school district dictating and enforcing behavior not on school property.  I decided it wasn't worth some potential lawsuit--CrowSon was trying to get into college at the time, plus the Air Force wouldn't have let us stick around to see one through--so I praised him greatly for his intent, but said Leave It Alone.  So this case's outcome does not surprise me. 

I vaguely remember the incident behind Morse v. Frederick.  Thanks for the outcome.

On topic, I am reading The Cold Dish, the first book in the Longmire series.  A lot of differences between this and the A&E/Netflix series, but I'm enjoying it very much. 

CrowMan just finished--and wants me to read--Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D.  He says it will help him be a better teacher, and parent.  I'll write more after I've read it, but if anyone else has, I'd like to read their thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:18:51 am by CrowGirl »
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: Roper

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 03:10:20 pm »
This is the hardest thing for me.  I used to LIVE to read.  I read ALL THE TIME.  I was defined by many people as the person who never stopped reading.  But one of the things the depression stole from me is my ability to comfortably read.  As in, I often get anxiety when approaching a book, feel guilt for spending time on it, and find myself unconsciously avoiding reading.  It breaks my heart.  I get maybe 5 books read per year these days, when it used to probably be closer to 100. 
That being said, I have been able to finish a few books, and I'm finding that listening to Audible while I am a the gym or driving all over creation for work has been pretty helpful.
Last series I loved: The Lunar Chronicles (starting with Cinder) by Marissa Meyer, and the Reckoners (Steelheart, et al) by Brandon Sanderson.
Last standalone book I really loved: The Accidental Highwayman: Being the Tale of Kit Bristol, His Horse Midnight, a Mystery Princess, and Sundry Magical Persons Besides by Ben Tripp
Fiction currently Reading/listening to: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.  Oh my goodness the non-stop funny is SO helpful for my anxiety!
Non-fiction currently listening to: Medieval Heroines in History and Legend, a college course offered by The Great Courses through Audible.

Stuff I read semi-recently that I can't really recommend: Uprooted by Naomi Novik.  It really pulled me in and felt nice and YA, then 3/4 of the way it had a horrifically graphic 2 page sex scene.  I skipped that part, but I felt betrayed and tricked.  The ending wasn't very satisfactory, either.  It didn't wrap things up well and was very meandering.

Stuff I haven't been able to finish yet: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.  It's been building up to the big bad event, and I am pretty sure I know what's going to happen and it makes me so upset that I had to set it aside.  I don't know if I will be able to pick it back up again.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:12:58 pm by dyany »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Susan

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 01:47:13 pm »
I don't know why I stopped reading because I love it....maybe finding Netflix could be part of the reason.   I have a goal of reading at least 40 books this year and frankly I am a little behind but plan to catch up.  This year I have read:  The Life We Bury, The Shipping News, The Glass Castle, Snow Child and In the Blood. 

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:54:44 am »
"Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence"
by Susan Schneider

A bit chewy in places, but fascinating to me just how thoroughly (broadly and deeply) most sci-fi concepts have been examined by hundreds of authors over the years. 

I've been doing a lot of sci-fi writing lately involving AI, and I found this book saved me from having to devote a lot of time thrashing around aimlessly investigating concepts that were new to me, and also gave me some great concepts to integrate into my story. 
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

Scruffydog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 09:28:22 am »
Just read the Odd Thomas series from Dean Koontz. Quite interesting, and enjoyable because Koontz is a Catholic with a clear idea of good and evil. No fruity bits, and I found the character of Odd Thomas very engaging.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 11:38:48 am »
I really like Dean Koontz.  I've read many of his earlier books.  I haven't started the Odd Thomas series.  Thanks for the good report.  I'll have to put them on my summer reading list.

Koontz wrote "Oddkins." It's one of my favorite books for children, precisely because the good characters embody good principles, such as loyalty and friendship.  While the characters have misgivings and are often hesitant about their own capabilities, they press forward in doing the right thing even though they're scared.  It's ultimately a story about faith. There are no ambiguous heroes in the story, such as somewhat good characters with dark and troubled back stories.  Good is good and evil is evil. It's a great book for kids (and grownups, too.)  Plus, if you can still find the illustrated version, Phil Parks' full color illustrations bring visually vibrant life to the toy characters.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:54:30 am by Roper »

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 11:45:16 am »
My son just gave us the second Rick Riordan book The Trials of Apollo.  I am not sure I appreciate the same sex attraction he weaves into some of his books but at least he is tactful about it.

I read the books out loud to my husband and the people I visit at the nursing homes.   I have enjoyed all of his mythological based books except the Kane Chronicles based on Egyptian mythology, I just find the Egyptian mythology hard to follow (and the books just do not read out loud well.)

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 03:53:29 pm »
I really love the Odd Thomas series.  I couldn't get through the last few books because of the anxiety, so I had to have my husband paraphrase them for me because I needed to know what happened!

Scruffydog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 03:11:07 pm »
I was a bit disappointed with some of Koontz's other books, but the Odd Thomas books are good. I have run out of fiction to read, which is a pain, but I need to get back to work reading

* Top Posters

Curelom
904 Posts
Roper Roper
797 Posts
dyany dyany
646 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
530 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
401 Posts

* Board Statistics