Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 1818 times)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 04:47:55 am »
Well... I'm reading Enid Blyton... In French and Spanish. I'm not sure this really helps anyone else, though... LOL!
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 06:05:12 pm »
I had to look up Enid Blyton. 763 books and 600 million copies sold! All I can say is wow!
Are you reading her books to help with your Spanish and French? One of our sons did that on his mission to learn Russian.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 11:12:29 pm »
After hearing NPR's interview with Senator Tom Cotton (R, Arkansas), I really want to read his book, "Sacred Duty: A Soldier's Tour at Arlington National Cemetery." It's about the U.S. Army's "Old Guard." That's the unit which provides ceremonial services, such as sentinel duty at the Tomb of the Unknowns and military burials, in Arlington National Cemetery. The Old Guard is the oldest active duty unit in our military, serving since 1784.

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 01:13:50 am »
I had to look up Enid Blyton. 763 books and 600 million copies sold! All I can say is wow!
Are you reading her books to help with your Spanish and French? One of our sons did that on his mission to learn Russian.

That's exactly what I'm using her books for. They're simple enough that I can understand most of it. I'm slow, but that's how it goes.

We're also reading comics in French - our favourites are Ana Ana and Pico Bogue. They're Calvin & Hobbes-esque. They're hilarious and entertaining and the artwork is beautiful.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 10:46:22 am »
It's about the U.S. Army's "Old Guard." That's the unit which provides ceremonial services, such as sentinel duty at the Tomb of the Unknowns and military burials, in Arlington National Cemetery. The Old Guard is the oldest active duty unit in our military, serving since 1784.
I heard an interview with one of the members of that unit.  Very inspiring, weighty and sobering most of the time, very funny here and there.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 01:19:12 pm »
"The Host" by Stephanie Meyer.  Just recently joined a book club through my RS. I had read this book shortly after it was released. Had already ready her vampire books. Yeah, I am a senior adult, reading about vampires but I also read about paranormal stories, shape-shifters, werewolves and other creatures/monsters, etc. Actually I have been reading about them since I have been working and had my own money to buy the books - that would be when I was 17 (1969).

Am having a difficult time reading it. Just when I get settled into my recliner, glass of water close at hand, pillows propped behind my head and under the heavy hard backed book, Hubby either turns the volume on so the *room* aka me can hear it, or starts searching for a movie for us aka me - n - him to watch. If he would actually turn his head 45 degrees to the right and LOOK at me, he would see me settled in with a  - - -drum roll here - - - BOOK!

It is too uncomfortable to sit at my desk where my computer is to read a book, and I have never been able to read in bed. The dining room table is out too, because then the book is too high to comfortably read it.

Because it is a hard back, and a large one at that, I won't haul it around with me when I eat out alone. Only will take paperbacks that fit in my purse.

If I could just be left alone from after dinner to bedtime (approx. 3.5 hours) then I will easily finish this book in time for our meet-up with the book club. 

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 03:46:06 pm »
I read that! My take away was there was actually some really interesting ideas in there that I still think about. I can't sum up the story any more, but ideas that drove the story stuck!

Meanwhile, I'm working my way through the audiobook of Words of Radiance, Book 2 in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 04:34:52 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 11:41:56 pm »
“Coast of Dreams” by the late Kevin Starr, an eminent California historian – IOW, a person from California who studied & wrote about California. He was also head of public libraries in both S.F. & L.A. & a college history professor. He had a strong interest in cultural history that shows in the many books he wrote about California. This one is about the millennial cusp years, 1990-2003, a time when more than a few Californians asked profound questions about what direction the state was really taking. Was it a true trend setter? Was it a failed (or failing) social & cultural experiment? The table of contents suggests some of the ways he approached the story of California in the years after Loma Prieta and before Prop 8: Surf’s Up!, Zen California, Catastrophe, Reefer Madness, Diversity, Endangered Species, Dot-Com Debacle.

I recently got “Small Wonder,” a collection of essays written by Barbara Kingsolver after 9/11. It’s supposed to be her thoughts on a variety of social, environmental, & moral issues in the changed perspective after 9/11, & I don’t know why it never came to my attention before. I haven’t started it yet, & since it is essays, I may not read it all at once. But just thinking about 9/11 & the immediate aftermath almost makes me nostalgic. Not for the awful events of that day, of course, but for the kind of national unity that we experienced for just a short time with a President who took his role as the leader of our country seriously. Regardless of anyone’s opinions on the events of 9/11 & America’s response in the years since, I’m grateful we had a POTUS who was capable of responding.

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 01:02:37 am »

Umm, Iggy, why not tell Bro. Iggy what you just told us? 

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 10:49:12 am »
Umm, Iggy, why not tell Bro. Iggy what you just told us?

I did. Each time I started to get settled into my chair I told him. Just like I do when I want to nap in my chair rather than go to bed for a nap. He doesn't actually listen or perhaps he doesn't care to listen.

I even take out my hearing aids, tell him I am NOT wearing my ears so please keep the volume set only for him (through his hearing aids). I may as well be talking to the blasted wall!

But I am able to nap with the volume on and him chattering away. Just close my eyes and off to nap land I go.

I have a glider rocking chair in my bedroom - and a small folding step stool that works great as a foot rest, just have to put a cushion/pillow on it. So that is where I will be going to read from now on.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 10:27:43 pm »
"The Host" by Stephanie Meyer.
I liked "The Host" much better than the Twilight series. My favorite part is when Wanda's telling the stories of her other lives on different worlds. My favorite character is Uncle Jeb. "My house. My rules."

* Top Posters

Curelom
1553 Posts
Roper Roper
1338 Posts
dyany dyany
882 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
771 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
504 Posts

* Recent Posts