Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: So far ...  (Read 325 times)

Curelom

• View Profile
So far ...
« on: April 01, 2017, 10:02:34 pm »
Simple & straightforward, like the women’s session was.

As the world gets more complex & sometimes befuddling, our leaders simplify life even more for us. Back to the basics: Love God, love your neighbor, avoid judging, have charity toward all even if they aren’t people you really want to like, make & keep covenants. The Atonement doesn't save us - through the Atonement, the Savior saves us. The plan of salvation & our Father’s love for all His children & our duty to offer His blessings to the living & dead.

Favorite talks? One that really spoke to me was by Elder Cordon, the Seventy from Costa Rica who talked about losing language. He mentioned Hispanic folks but said he was not limiting his reference, & since I have some Asian DNA & many Asian friends, I could identify with this. He had observed how offspring of immigrants gradually become less fluent in their mother tongue over a few generations, & likened it to how we can grow further from the “language of the gospel” if we don’t guard against that. Nephi needed to get the plates so future Nephites would not lose the language of their fathers, but also because they needed the scriptures to keep them close to the Lord.

As for predictions, N3urotypical was right – we heard the dissenters calling out “Opposed” & Pres. Uchtdorf inviting them to take their concerns to their SPs. I wonder how many of them ever do. I mean ... that would mean going through the proper channels, wouldn’t it? And simply by calling out rather than signifying their opposition in the prescribed manner, they’ve already shown their lack of interest in the proper channels.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:20:45 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Traela

• View Profile
Re: So far ...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »
Elder Holland's talk was, of course, magnificent.

I very much enjoyed the arrangement of Do What Is Right, sung during the first session.

Does anyone know why they aren't showing the lyrics of the congregation  hymns?

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

GoodyScrivener

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 12:16:33 am »
I wondered about the missing lyrics as well. It's not a big deal for me to pull up the app while I'm watching, but I know that not everyone has that option.

beefche

• Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:06:04 am »
I was really struck by Elder Nelson's talk in Sat morn session. I never made the connection that by referring to "the atonement" as such posed a great risk of removing Jesus from the act. We aren't saved by the atonement, we are saved by Jesus through the atonement. It was just so enlightening to me.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Susan, Patty Rain, Taalcon

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 12:09:20 pm »
Priesthood Session.  Elder Eyring's story about the drunk guy who crashed into the bank, and the resulting miracle that changed Elder Eyring's life.  At times, I've been able to approach that miracle with a lot of people.  And at other times I've struggled to just have an intellectual understanding that God sees people like that. 
"Somebody should have set a match to this place long ago."

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 02:31:58 pm »
Pres. Uchtdorf's address about using fear as a motivator.  Every elected official should listen to it.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, dyany, Patty Rain

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 03:00:29 pm »
Pres. Uchtdorf's address about using fear as a motivator.  Every elected official should listen to it.

This one really resonated with me. It made me realize that my mother has always lived in fear. She lives the gospel because she's afraid of what will happen if she doesn't. I'm glad I've mostly learned differently at this point in my life, and hope to show my children the way Pres. Uchtdorf prescribes.

It also gave me hope that I can hold on to joy in spite of the evil around us and the difficulties in life.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Hobbes

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 08:30:55 pm »
"Fear" is a nuanced word.  In reference to fearing God or fearing eternal punishment, I think "respect" is what is meant, and that is certainly a good thing.

As far as using fear (the afraid kind, not the respect kind) as a motivation, I appreciate Pres. Ucthdorf's observations.  Indeed, that afraid kind of fear cannot cause a change in heart, though it can cause a temporary change in behavior.  It can also be emotionally damaging if it is a traumatizing kind of fear. 

In my own efforts to lose weight, I have found that an extreme afraid type of fear has been more effective for losing weight than anything else.  That said, the problem I've had with using an afraid fear to lose weight is that it works to lose weight but doesn't work to keep it off.  Once I have lost the weight, the fear loses its power -- I'm no longer in danger. 

Perhaps that is why some folks oscillate between obedience and rebellion.  They are responding to being afraid rather than being respectful.  Their behavior changes, but not their heart, so it doesn't last.  Perhaps that is the difference between Laman and Alma the Younger, both of who were visited by a scolding angel. 
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical, Roper, CrowGirl, Firefly

* Top Posters

Curelom
947 Posts
Roper Roper
821 Posts
dyany dyany
677 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
552 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl