Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: BE SAFE & KEEP EVERYONE ELSE SAFE!  (Read 291 times)

Curelom

• View Profile
BE SAFE & KEEP EVERYONE ELSE SAFE!
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »
Please, please, folks! Donít text or make phone calls or do other distracting tech stuff while driving! Tell your driving-age kids the same thing.

This terrible tragedy happened (by the driverís own admission to a passerby) while he was texting behind the wheel. :(  He survived, but he killed 13 of the 14 people in the other vehicle who just happened to be minding their own business in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/local/article/Witness-driver-who-hit-church-bus-was-texting-11041354.php

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical, Roper, Patty Rain

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: BE SAFE & KEEP EVERYONE ELSE SAFE!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
Yeah, it's been all over the news here in Texas. Texas is one of only four states without a ban on texting and driving.  Our legislature has passed the bill before, but our idiot governor vetoed it claiming that we shouldn't use legislation to "regulate the behavior of adults."  Moron!  That's exactly what we use legislature to do--regulate behavior for the good of the public. Earlier this month, the Texas House of Representatives passed a bill banning texting while driving.  Chances were slim again this year it would make it into law.  Maybe the 13 deaths of senior citizens on a church bus won't be in vain.  Maybe this will be the year when common sense and public safety will prevail over swaggering stupidity.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »
our idiot governor vetoed it claiming that we shouldn't use legislation to "regulate the behavior of adults."

Oh, right. This is the governor who wanted to abolish the U.S. Dept. of Energy, isnít it? Now heís been kicked upstairs where he can show off his incompetence on a national stage, not only to Texas.

Did he advocate repealing all laws against murder, mayhem, kidnapping, rape, assault, arson, robbery, drunk driving, & trading human beings for crack cocaine? If everyone behaved in a manner that didnít require regulation, we wouldnít need the Ten Commandments, let alone stupid secular laws aimed at people who want to kill other people.

I hope this irresponsible young "adult" really grasps how much devastation he caused the whole community. Some very relevant public service is in order as part of his debt to society, like lecturing at high schools, colleges, & youth groups & telling them, ďMy name is Jack & I killed 13 innocent human beings because the text I had to send right that minute to [my girlfriend/ my buddy/ the pizza takeout counter] was more important to me than my safety or theirs.Ē

I feel awful for the victims & their loved ones. No legal judgment or anything this dude can do if he lives to be 110 will make up for what he did to them, but I hope their faith in God & His plan for them will comfort them.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:10 pm »
Let's be honest, texting isn't the only thing that distracts drivers - although it is a biggie. There is talking on the phone, searching for radio stations, putting on makeup, reading (yup, know some that do), knitting (that one too), talking, daydreaming, etc.  Distracted driving is dangerous - no matter what is causing it.  Some we can legislate against, like the phones - the others, not so much.  In all cases, defensive driving is a must.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 11:23:52 am »
Distracted driving is caused by three elements:

- Not having eyes on the road and traffic.
- Not having hands on the steering wheel.
- Not having attention focused on driving.

Texting while driving involves all three.

I commute my motorcycle a lot.  I've been run off the road twice and almost hit once by distracted drivers.  I'm in favor of banning ALL distracted driving activities.  When you're piloting a vehicle in a public space, that should be your ONLY focus--driving safely.  You don't have the right to harm other people just because you want the convenience of doing something else while you're driving.  Take the bus.  Or call Uber.

Banning texting while driving is a place to start.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 02:57:35 pm »
Not all distraction is physical. A person could have both hands on the wheel & both eyes on the road, but be on another planet mentally or emotionally. Or they might be tired or sleepy, not from drinking or drugs but from long hours or exertion. Any of these could constitute distraction, & we all need to be aware of when we just shouldn't be driving or doing other things that require our full capabilities.

I know we've all done it - driven when we were nodding off, or when we were upset or preoccupied. Those are things that happen to people because of circumstances. Hopefully we (at least the grown-ups among us) recognized those distractions & were able to put them aside enough to function, or had the sense to take a break.

Sitting behind the wheel with your big foot on the gas pedal & eyes & hands focused on your phone, swerving all over the road so badly that multiple witnesses call the police, is not something that "happens." It's a foolish thing we choose to do.

I know we're required to forgive, but I'm human & I can only do the best I can. If someone had just come from their loved one's hospital room, or from seeing their kid at juvie who had just been arrested, & accidentally hit me because they were distracted, I'd be a lot quicker to forgive than if they hit me while texting & not paying attention to their driving.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

* Top Posters

Curelom
947 Posts
Roper Roper
821 Posts
dyany dyany
677 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
552 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
401 Posts