Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Predictions for the coming General Conference?  (Read 2918 times)

Taalcon

• View Profile
Re: Predictions for the coming General Conference?
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2018, 11:21:08 pm »
Don't think the guy in the Church History story was suggesting taking them off to a more age appropriate gospel learning environment though.

My 4 year old comes back from sharing time and his classes telling me excitedly what stories he heard, and shares principles, and sings back songs. Meanwhile, he calls Sacrament Meeting 'The long boring one where people talk'.

The following users thanked this post: curlybat, Roper

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2018, 03:03:05 am »
I really like attending sacrament meeting together as a family.  We're already apart for the other two meetings.  I've been to other churches' services with friends, and that arrangement just feels odd--disconnected. I think there's a lot of value in having Sacrament meeting where families worship and learn together.  At a church meeting in a grove in Nauvoo, the ushers were ready to remove a group of rowdy boys.  Joseph Smith said, "Let the boys alone. They may hear something they will never forget." I think there are a thousand other ways to improve the spirituality of our sacrament meetings rather than sending our children away.

I went to my great grandmothers baptist church a couple of times. We children spent most of the time separate from our parents and it just didn't feel right.

I have been hearing more and more about a 2-hour block.  Doesn't mean it is actually going to happen but I can see the benefits such as those already mentioned.  I can see either doing away with Sunday School (which I wouldn't like) or alternating it with Priesthood/Relief Society as already mentioned.  Maybe a shorter Sacrament meeting coupled with a shortened Priesthood/Relief Society and Sunday School.  Primary could become little to no class time (would take care of having to have two deep teaching) and mostly sharing and singing time.

Maybe we'll make 2019 the big year of change or maybe the youth programs will be a big enough shift to save a block change for 2020.  Of course, maybe it would be a good time to make the block change to coincide with how the youth programs will function.  Maybe this conference will the beginning of rolling out information about the new youth program.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: Roper

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2018, 03:07:33 am »
Primary being released to go to sharing time would have significant difficulties for many others. All Primary and Nursery called people would go too. Some units only have one keyboard player - they go to Primary and sacrament meeting music is lost.

Priesthood/RS twice a month is going to reduce it to one council meeting and either the six month theme or one conference talk a month - that's just six. They want us to study conference talks.

We barely scratch the surface in Sunday school as it is.

So more mid-week stuff will possibly pop up to replace it all.

45 minute sacrament meeting would work most weeks. However if you baptised a family of four one week, and there was a baby blessing, the ordinances could take all the time for the one speaker.

I am not saying it will not happen. I am saying that it will have to come with other changes.

We already have insufficient training in the church, add to that insufficient grounding in doctrine and how to be a member and it can only go one way.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2018, 03:31:03 am »
Primary being released to go to sharing time would have significant difficulties for many others. All Primary and Nursery called people would go too. Some units only have one keyboard player - they go to Primary and sacrament meeting music is lost.

Priesthood/RS twice a month is going to reduce it to one council meeting and either the six month theme or one conference talk a month - that's just six. They want us to study conference talks.

We barely scratch the surface in Sunday school as it is.

So more mid-week stuff will possibly pop up to replace it all.

45 minute sacrament meeting would work most weeks. However if you baptised a family of four one week, and there was a baby blessing, the ordinances could take all the time for the one speaker.

I am not saying it will not happen. I am saying that it will have to come with other changes.

We already have insufficient training in the church, add to that insufficient grounding in doctrine and how to be a member and it can only go one way.

Which is why I have doubted there would be a change to a 2-hour block despite all the talk/rumors. Seems we need what we get during a 3-hour block these days.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

Scruffydog

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2018, 10:02:51 am »
Replying to Roper: Having been in other churches before I was baptised, I very much appreciate the fact we keep the family together throughout the sacrament service instead of dividing them and making it seem like part of the meeting is not for them, or that they are too much a burden to be allowed. Just a personal opinion, of course

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2018, 10:34:48 am »
Well, frankly, most of the time taken by talks is not for children, and the youngest are doing nothing but being managed - they are together for togetherness sake, not because the meeting is actually designed for them.

The current format of Sacrament Meeting is not conducive for a good experience for families with small children. Just shortening it would, in my opinion, go a very long way. The Sacrament plus a short talk and one longer talk is all that's really needed, and would greatly add to the good experience had by many members.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:47:41 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2018, 02:33:51 pm »
I do see the point, but I also wonder how much is because of us.

I hear my mother had to run after me and sacrament meetings were a hard time when I was very young. But since I remember, I have enjoyed sacrament meeting.

As a mother - at a time with 4 children under 6 years sitting by myself because dh was a bishop - I have been surprised what the kids have got from sacrament meeting. It's always fun to see how they were/are excited when they see that someone they know better is going to give a talk.

For my family, sacrament meetings have been good. Not always easy, but worth it.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2018, 03:04:33 pm »
"Curriculum developer Paul Murphy added: “Children ages 3 to 11 will be in Come, Follow Me. Everybody is going to be in the scriptures during Primary and Sunday School.”

The new manual will be available digitally through the Gospel Library app and online at LDS.org sometime after general conference,

Relief Society, priesthood, Young Men, and Young Women will continue to follow the doctrinal approach pattern that has been established." - LDS.org, September 5, 2018

Hmmmmmmmm.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:11:57 pm by Taalcon »

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2018, 07:55:27 pm »
Well, frankly, most of the time taken by talks is not for children

That applies to a lot of grownups, not just to children.

the youngest are doing nothing but being managed

Who will "manage" them if they are sent out of Sacrament meeting? I think that's the parents' responsibility.

not because the meeting is actually designed for them.

Who is it designed for?

The current format of Sacrament Meeting is not conducive for a good experience for families with small children.

I don't think that's a universal experience.

Just shortening it would, in my opinion, go a very long way. The Sacrament plus a short talk and one longer talk is all that's really needed

On this, we absolutely agree.

I think our Sacrament meetings would be greatly improved with some simple teaching on how to prepare and deliver a gospel oriented talk.  Frankly, I get far more out of listening to a child's pure and innocent testimony during testimony meeting than I get from many of the usual talks given my grownups.  We waste way to much time with not-really-humorous anecdotes such as "When the Bishop called me last week, I ..." and "I'm not really prepared, so I'm just going with the Spirit.  Please bear with me..." I also don't think travelogues belong in Sacrament meeting talks.  I don't think lengthy descriptions of hospital visits belong in Sacrament meetings talks. I have been in many Sacrament meetings where Christ was mentioned in the payers, the music, and the Sacrament, but not in any of the talks. Those things need to change way before we start talking about sending children out of the meeting.

The following users thanked this post: Jacaré

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2018, 10:41:48 pm »
Well,
I think our Sacrament meetings would be greatly improved with some simple teaching on how to prepare and deliver a gospel oriented talk.  Frankly, I get far more out of listening to a child's pure and innocent testimony during testimony meeting than I get from many of the usual talks given my grownups.  We waste way to much time with not-really-humorous anecdotes such as "When the Bishop called me last week, I ..." and "I'm not really prepared, so I'm just going with the Spirit.  Please bear with me..." I also don't think travelogues belong in Sacrament meeting talks.  I don't think lengthy descriptions of hospital visits belong in Sacrament meetings talks ...
Oooh, you would have spoiled several of the talks I've listened to over the last few weeks!

I visited one ward while I was out of town for a few days when they had high council speakers, & one took literally 10 minutes to introduce himself, his family, the history of his residence in the area, what kind of work he had done, & his callings, which led into the main gist of his talk but could have been done in much less time. And of course he had only about 4-5 minutes for the main gist. Similar things happen in my own ward too, where "When the Bishop asked me to speak..." is often a prelude to "I really hate speaking to an audience so please bear with me if I seem nervous."

Once, years ago, I even heard a speaker ask, "Has anyone here ever seen a Nephite? If not, you could see one if the pulpit wasn't here because I'm so nervous," or something to that effect. Eeek.

When we're invited to speak & given, say, 10 or 15 minutes, that is not really a lot of time. Once you give a 30-second intro (I usually don't do it at all, but I've been in my ward for a long time so I tend to keep intros short - I can see newcomers taking longer), then start working into the topic & giving your two, three, or four main points, & the scriptural, Church leader, or historical material to flesh it out, that time can fly.

Sacrament meeting isn't my time or the congregation's time, but the Lord's. The Sabbath is His day, when God has asked us all to gather to worship Him, honor the sacrifice our Savior made, renew our covenants, pray together & "speak one with another concerning the welfare of [our] souls." I wouldn't feel right taking up His time talking at any length about travel, hospital visits, being nervous, or any other non-gospel topic except as it directly relates to a gospel topic that I did pick to concentrate on.

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2018, 11:30:48 pm »
I wonder how your wards handle talks? We have always at least one youth speaker, often two when we had more youth. Usually one young single adult too (shorter talk or the last, longer talk). So two shorter talks and one longer one.  An adult gets a turn about once in 14-16 months. Youth and young single adults tend to not be so boring.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:32:40 pm by cook »

Firefly

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2018, 12:02:10 am »
Taalcon,

I remember you posting prior to last conference:

To go along with the discontinuation of the monthly First Presidency Message in the Ensign, and strong emphasis over service than check-off-lists, Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching will be replaced/re-branded by a single program called simply 'Ministering'.

You seem to have some inside track to information. The fact that last time you revealed the word "Ministering" is very telling, to me at least.

Yes, I have heard the 2 hour block rumor for a very long time. As a prelude to what I learned in seminary 50 years ago, that the day would come when we would only have sacramanet meeting.

So with your 2 hour block "prediction" (For real this time ... ) I can't help but wonder why you share what you do?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:11:20 am by Firefly »

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2018, 07:47:20 am »
Really and truly, I am not by far what one would call on the inside, but I've come to know who are reliable sources of word of mouth and who are not. There are individuals who would not share something if it wasn't basically certain. And there are more than one person who fit that that are going with this. Basically, I'm excited by what I hear, and here is almost exclusively where I do my online Geeking Out Over Mormon Stuff Thing. :)

Also, while we're at it, no, I am not the NYT Anonymous Source  ;)

* Top Posters

Curelom
1313 Posts
Roper Roper
1109 Posts
dyany dyany
814 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
668 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
419 Posts