Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Predictions for the coming General Conference?  (Read 15603 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Predictions for the coming General Conference?
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2019, 12:42:18 am »
I also keep an ear open for themes. I want to see if various Church leaders are inspired about some of the same subjects independently of each other, which tells me that the Holy Ghost wants all of us to hear them, whether from an Apostle, a Sunday School leader, a sister, or any other person the Lord has placed over His children.

And while DHO does lean right, I consider him orthodox but can't really see him as JBS.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:49:15 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2019, 09:08:44 am »
I don't think DHO has ever been a JBS member himself.  I was just noting that from my experience, he does tend to resonate with many far right members of the church. 

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2019, 05:07:19 am »
This isn't from me, but from a FOAFOAF (IOW, it was half-serious, half-joke from someone who claims they heard it from a relative of someone they know in another ward that is to say, an unreliable source, and no one knows how it started).

1. The WoW will be rescinded or abolished. [wasn't there just a clarification about iced tea, marijuana, vaping, opioids, etc.?]
2. Garments will be abolished. [Beyond imagining, since this is Biblical in origin]

We know these are pretty OTT, but someone somewhere in the Church came up with them, so we have to hang them out here.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2019, 11:04:51 am »
Both seem fairly far fetched. WoW changes has come up for a few conferences.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2019, 11:33:16 am »
Yeah. After the Big Rumor Last Time about the word of Wisdom being de-emphasized as a Worthiness Requirement, then we had the big statement a short while ago clamping down on and expanding the nitty gritty of the WoW. (Of course, we have recently had a big example of a major policy being reversed, so  whiplash is a Thing That Happens). So I count that as VERY unlikely.

I've seen people talking rumors about the garments not in terms of abolishing them, but it terms of making them Temple Only. I also do not think this is likely, especially as they've just gone through a process of revision of them (women's especially), and generally making all new markings iron-ons rather than stitching. It's a practical reason, sure, but I highly doubt it. The idea of taking something tactile from the Temple out I think I going to stay.

I've also seen a single rumor about women being authorized to be ordinance witnesses. I think that's eventually likely, (there's deep and meaningful scriptural precedence for this which could make it an easy sell) and if it is going to be announced, doing it during a conference where there's a Women's Session seems to be the Right Move. But I'm not vouching for it.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:01 pm »
I suspect the WoW policy will change when a significant percentage of active members ignore ut.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2019, 10:44:34 pm »
A few days ago, I was at a training seminar in SLC. When one of my colleagues arrived (she's a member of the church), she walked in bleary eyed and carrying a cup of coffee. She sat down next to me and said, "Hey, no coffee shaming. I'm tired." I smiled and replied, "I've always loved the smell of coffee." That's not against the WoW, right? It's still okay for me to linger in that aisle of the grocery store and inhale deeply?

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2019, 08:46:05 am »
Yes.  Definitely yes.  :)

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2019, 03:50:39 pm »
I detest the smell of coffee. I find it oppressive.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2019, 12:00:03 am »
One of my sets of grandparents were not LDS.  When I would visit them I would always wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee.  The scent has a significant nostalgia effect on me.

nitasmile

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2019, 09:27:27 am »
My hope is that there would be some type of comment or a remark about the singles program and certain types of issues and concerns. There is lots to say, but O was feeling quite pains the last few days because I was not allowed to go to a singles conference due to being age 50, as 45 was the top limit. I only want to hear the workshop portion.  There are several other related issues. But with all the giving we as singles do, I just hope some type of compassionate caring will be given specifically to us.
 On a related note,  due to the timing of how things worked out, I will be on an airline flight going to South America during the women's conference! The airline has a free wifi streaming app. I will also be in the air during the majority of the afternoon session. Does this mean to you that I would be able to probably and hopefully watch the  afternoon session and the women's conference during that trip?

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2019, 09:58:57 am »
I detest the smell of coffee. I find it oppressive.

I don't like the smell of coffee when it's been sitting in a pot for hours. The smell becomes acidic to me.  OTOH, walking down the coffee aisle in a grocery store smells wonderful to me.  During my "break" from the church in the 80s, when I lived in Germany, I bought coffee beans and ground them myself for my morning cup.  I miss the fragrance, but I don't miss my self-imposed separation from the true and living Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2019, 02:07:23 pm »
I heard a rumor about more and smaller wards.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »
Even smaller than what they started instituting just a few years ago?  Wow that would be really hard...we split around the time they instituted it so our ward was small and it is so hard to fill all the callings!  I know they didn't force it on wards not at split-level, though, so maybe it would just be rolling out more uniformly?

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2019, 06:21:30 pm »
Even smaller than what they started instituting just a few years ago?  Wow that would be really hard...we split around the time they instituted it so our ward was small and it is so hard to fill all the callings!  I know they didn't force it on wards not at split-level, though, so maybe it would just be rolling out more uniformly?

I guess that never reached my stake/ward. We had a split but it was really just a redistribution that amounted to about 15 families getting moved to the ward next door. Our ward is HUGE and getting bigger as there are new neighborhoods being planned and developed all over our boundaries. Mostly small families. It's loud and chaotic and so hard to get to know anyone. I feel like a cantankerous old mom, grouchy about the young ones not taking their kids out when they're screaming because I can't hear, and I miss my old, smaller, tight-knit ward (same ward, different era).

* Top Posters

Curelom
1643 Posts
Roper Roper
1524 Posts
dyany dyany
956 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
825 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
653 Posts