Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: racism  (Read 1463 times)

Palmon

• View Profile
racism
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:56:15 pm »
Now milk is racist. http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03/16/is-milk-racist-a-millennial-writer-thinks-so/

As it seems everything is deemed racist, writing can be a minefield. Question:  Is 'black mage' racist or is it a safe term to use?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:18:31 pm by Palmon »

beefche

• Wise bovine
    • View Profile
Re: racism
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:26:45 pm »
I don't think your link says what you think your link says.

Palmon

• View Profile
Re: racism in writing
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:48 pm »
It sure doesn't!  I've fixed it. Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:41:22 pm by Palmon »

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:23:21 pm »
The world must think Americans are idiots.  But I suppose there was ample evidence for that before this article claiming milk is racist was written. 

<sigh>  Never a dull moment.
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 01:07:28 am »
But the question was serious. In light of the fact that so many things are now deemed racist - in a fantasy novel, would it be racist to use the term "black mage"?

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 08:55:45 am »
In my opinion, no.

Some people will always take offense to something and will insist that there must be One Correct Term For Everyone. There will always someone who will take offense to that term or who will dislike that term and will prefer another. One black Canadian friend dislikes the term African American - she considers herself to be neither African nor American. She's ancestrally from the West Indies, and that's what she claims. She calls herself Canadian and she separately calls herself black. But African Americans who she's talked to insists that she must call herself African American.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Palmon

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 12:40:11 pm »
We actually had a small discussion about this in one of my writing groups just a week or so ago.  The determination was no, it doesn't matter that much.  If you are a HUGE author, with a major publishing house, then sometimes they watch stuff like that.  But for the most part, that stuff is generally too transient for major upset, though you will ALWAYS offend SOMEBODY.  Storymakers usually has 1 class/year about dealing with diversity.  I've never taken it, but it might be worth a look.

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 02:24:36 pm »
Laurie and Dyany, Thank you!

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:50:44 pm »
R. A. Salvatore writes novels for the fantasy world "Forgotten Realms" that is based on D&D.  The "good" (mostly) surface-dwelling woodland elves are pale-skinned and the evil (mostly) underground-dwelling drow elves are pitch black-skinned.  I've read over 30 books that Salvatore has written that has a main character, Drizzt, who is a drow elf with a noble heart.  It never occurred to me at any time that Salvatore (or the creators of D&D on which it is based) secretly meant to imply that blacks are largely evil and whites largely good.  I'd have to think that there has been some objections raised by someone along the line, but I've never heard of any, which I take to imply that there hasn't been much.
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

lil_potoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 07:45:50 am »
My quick take: and note when I use 'you' I'm just using it in the general sense not to single anybody out!

As a writer I do understand that there's just no pleasing everyone. But as a writer I also understand I have responsibilities and I need to listen to my readers because writing is a two-way street. To the original question: I don't know that using black mage would be a huge deal unless you make it a huge deal in your narrative. I personally might just use the term 'dark-skinned' in a couple of places and leave it at that and don't get overly flowery or exotic with word descriptions. You want people to know what the characters look like but also be able to see themselves positively in characters that they love and identify with them. what it boils down to is: educate yourself, be kind and respectful towards those readers who have had life experiences you haven't had and read books by authors of all different backgrounds :) it only helps your writing in the long run

This I think is a pretty good guideline for all that http://writingwithcolor.tumblr.com/Navigation2 (also please understand there might be language in some of those links, navigate with caution. it's good advice regardless)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:57:10 am by lil_potoo »

* Top Posters

Curelom
1405 Posts
Roper Roper
1162 Posts
dyany dyany
832 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
703 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
425 Posts