Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: New teachers councils thread  (Read 624 times)

cook

• View Profile
New teachers councils thread
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:37:06 am »
A question to those of you who have attended the meeting. What have you spoken about?

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
Re: New teachers councils thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:45:57 am »
nothing. one session was taken over by a sister with a giant bee in her bonnet about teaching only in the maunual aand the other session was a limp class style awkward session that had no real point. I think the coordinator is on holiday so gratefully, no time wasted lately.

I love the videos and support materials on the church website. very good.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:22:39 am »
Everything. We read a chapter from the manual and discuss it among us. This coming Sunday the part we are to read is “Take Advantage of Spontaneous Teaching Moments” in Part 2 in the “Teaching In The Savior’s Way” booklet. Please review as all are invited to participate.
Starting:
https://www.lds.org/manual/teaching-in-the-saviors-way/part-2-teach-by-the-spirit/take-advantage-of-spontaneous-teaching-moments?lang=eng

Pray before reading it and banish the adversary. Read it. Pray again and often. Then when you go to the council, participate. Be positive and work dang hard to banish the negativity.

Teaching in the Savior's Way - Read the manual, repeatedly and prayerfully.

I'd like to ask all a question: How many have read and used Teaching, No Greater Call? https://www.lds.org/languages/eng?lang=eng  scroll down to Sunday School, the pdf manual is there. The difference between Teaching In The Savior's Way, and Teaching, No Greater Call  is that in the latter it is pretty much all laid out for you. Pick a page and repeat it almost verbatim.

One thing that our Stake Sunday School President stated at our last  council: Never allow anyone to play Devil's Advocate. When you are in the house of the Lord, there is NO ROOM FOR THE ADVERSARY.

We are at a point where the members who attend are asking for a topic to be done for the next month. We only have a few auxiliary presidents and councilors who have not attended, ever. Come this Sunday, our Stake SS President will be there again, along with our Stake President and they are going to ask those few members why they haven't attended and to invite them to attend. They really don't want to make it mandatory - since the First Presidency didn't make it mandatory.

But stop and think about it. The First Presidency set it in motion. Thus it must be important. It is Church Wide

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:25:43 am by Iggy »

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:04:21 pm »
Loving the student. Dealing with disruptions. Feeling like you need to teach every thing in the manual. How to prepare to teach. Sharing with other teachers what works when teaching specific groups of kids. How much class discussion their should be. ..
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:21:34 pm »
I'm asking because I've asked our Primary teacher have experienced them. We noticed some did not attend but just stayed in the hallway. Many said they feel they don't get anything out of it (for their calling). I haven't been able to attend, one in our presidency has a small baby (and a toddler) and they've been sick a lot. It's hard for us to get other adults to attend when the teachers are gone so we have had to be with kids.
When I read about the programme I thought it was great, because it a struggle to get teachers come to an extra meeting. And the topics are great. I do get the email they send almost weekly as preparation and as a reminder of what was talked/taught. The issues they cover have been background historical info for adult Sunday school. I understand the adult Sunday school teachers appreciate it. The Sunday school president knows about this stuff. But it gives nothing to our teachers. I brought this up in an email, being a counsellor responsible to the teachers. The bishop let me know that ideas for topics/ what people would like to discuss about has been asked in Ward Council. Our president is not good with attending those or remembering what was asked. So I see part of this is our fault. Sunday school president suggested we could think about the topics and I could come and do the teaching/leading discussion a few times and of course everyone else also could attend.

While I am a professional teacher, responsible for teaching in Primary, have had the calling of teaching the teacher development lessons when we had those and actually doing it would be no big deal really, and I should have been participated, I feel this would not be 'my job' and adding extra to a burdensome calling already just doesn't feel good. And we just simply need to have all the adults present when the teachers are gone...

I feel it would be more of their job to follow the guidelines in the pamphlet...

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:44:49 pm »

I'd like to ask all a question: How many have read and used Teaching, No Greater Call?

One thing that our Stake Sunday School President stated at our last  council: Never allow anyone to play Devil's Advocate. When you are in the house of the Lord, there is NO ROOM FOR THE ADVERSARY.

I have read much of "Teaching..."   After Roper talked about it I also made sure to share what he said in one of our teacher's councils.

I think we need to be very careful with the devil's advocate idea. While I do agree with the SP I also feel a lot of people would assign that term to people it doesn't belong to: EVERY person who talks about women in the church and their responsibilities. Some people, yes, will play the devil's advocate on this, but many will have good and wise ideas. Or EVERYONE who shares truths about Church history. Again some will be there as a devil's advocate, but some won't. A lot of it has to do with the intention of the student and that is not always understood right away or sometimes ever.Sometimes it is a misunderstanding of the person we assume is the devil's advocate.
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 12:50:23 pm »
I agree with Patty Rain. From the perspective of many of my friends, those teachers who have denied discussion which may bring up ideas that can be grey or different have indeed been devil's advocates in their well intended actions.

The following users thanked this post: Patty Rain

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 02:55:06 pm »
Thank you so much for this discussion.  Last week, I was called to the Sunday School presidency. One of my responsibilities is to plan and lead teachers councils. So I'm trying to get up to speed.  Your comments here have been enlightening.

On playing "Devil's Advocate": There is a difference in seeking for knowledge and in playing devil's advocate.  I think one involves sincere questions based on the person's honest desire to know the truth, while the other involves asking questions to stir up controversy or to selfishly appear erudite. The key difference is motivation. However, unless one has the spirit of discernment, it's problematic to assume another person's motivation.  I never want to shut down sincere question; however, I understand clearly how playing devil's advocate ruins the learning experience for other people. I think the most productive response is to examine the consequences of a person's questioning approach--is it leading to further light and knowledge (which all good questions do) or is it causing contention?  Is the contention actually coming from the confrontational nature of the questions, or is it coming from somebody else who wants to respond that their way of understanding is the only True Way approved by the Church?  I don't think we should shy away from questions about difficult subjects in the gospel, but this is a council, where teachers learn with each other. No one person gets to dominate the council's agenda.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:40 pm »
Toward the end of Teachers' Council in March, one of the sisters asked about what to do when people don't come to class (and sometimes church) anymore. Since we were out of time, I asked if we could address her question as a group at our next council.

As I've pondered her question and sought the Savior's teachings, I've consistently come back to Luke 15--the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son.  Here are my thoughts so far to guide the discussion.

In each parable, Jesus teaches us to be mindful of why something was lost, where did it go, and what can be done to bring it back.

The Lost Coin.  Coins don't lose themselves.  They get lost because of something we didn't attend to--a hole in a pocket or accidentally dropping or misplacing the coin.  In the parable, the woman reasoned that the coin was in the house.  She did what she had the skills to do--she lit a candle, swept the floor, and searched diligently until she found the coin. Then she invited her friends over to celebrate.

Sometimes, people quietly leave when we aren't attending to them for whatever reason.  We know they're still close--in the house.  We can find and recover them by diligently extending the care we already know how to use.

The Lost Sheep.  Likely the shepherd was leading his sheep through the wilderness when he became aware that one had wandered away. He left his flock (probably in the capable care of his hirelings) and went himself to search.  He found the sheep and carried it back to the flock. Then he invited his friends over to celebrate.

Sometimes, people leave because they have wandered away.  They may be in a dangerous place--the wilderness.  We go into the wilderness after them to find them and carry them back.

The Prodigal Son. The son asked for and received his portion of an inheritance, then he went to a far country and lived a party lifestyle. A famine drove him back to his father's house. The father welcomed him back home. Then the father invited everyone to celebrate.

Sometimes, people intentionally choose to leave.  In the parable, the father was not like the woman searching for her lost coin.  The son wasn't lost. The father already knew where his son was and what his son was doing. The father was not like the shepherd going after his sheep who mistakenly wandered away.  The son didn't mistakenly wander off. The father understood and accepted the agency his son employed.  Verse 20 teaches us that when the son returned, the father saw his son from a great way off.  You don't see something far away unless you're specifically watching for it.  The father had compassion and ran to his son and welcomed him in.  When people choose to leave, we understand and accept their agency.  But we don't forget them.  We watch for their return.  Then we welcome them back.

In our classes:
Who are our lost coins?  How can we diligently extend our care to find them?
Who are our lost sheep? How can we go after them and bring them back to the fold?
Who are our prodigals? How can we watch for their return and welcome them when they decide to come back?
When we recover those who have been gone for a season, how do we celebrate?

The following users thanked this post: beefche, dyany, palmetto_gal, Iggy, Palmon

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 08:18:44 am »
That's great Roper!
In Primary we have seen two young boys come or come back recently. It is wonderful. Just last Sunday we said farewell to a young girl who moved on to the young women. She returned to activity after we started as a presidency. I have thought about that a bit. We didn't really do anything. I know the father, not extremely well, but we have worked together in projects, gotten well along and he's also a teacher by his original profession. The mother is not a member. My daughters are a year younger and a year older. When we got our call, I spoke with him, asking why his daughter rarely comes.He said there had been something going on sometime, maybe a few times someone said some unkind things. I can't remember. I told it's totally fine if he wants to come and sit in the back with her, the sharing time was the issue. So he did. And after a while she told he doesn't need to anymore. At the same time I told my girls to get to know her when she comes and befriend her. Which they did. Soon she was very active.

It didn't take much. But doing something was required. Sometimes I wonder how many others there are, who just need that little bit of noticing and telling it's ok, what ever it is.

Back to the teacher council. In our case the issue was eventually with many layers. In some Ward council the issue was discussed. The Sunday School presidency felt that there needs to be a place where the teachers can prepare and learn to deal with the "hard issues" people deal with, issues with history, doctrine etc. So they said this is what we'll do. Either our president was there and didn't realize what it meant for our teachers so didn't say anything, or she wasn't there. This happened after it had been told that it is a meeting all teachers must attend. When approached about it, he said of course people don't need to attend, if they feel they don't get anything for their calling.

So we told our teachers that, and the Primary got May and October when we choose the topic and who we want to " teach it" or lead the discussion on it. This seems to work well for us. I do still think it would be good to "follow the program", but I also think it is good these teachers now have a chance to speak about issues they may feel uncomfortable about.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:04 am »
Every teacher could mail quote or a handout from the lesson periodically to absent members, though as a teacher of children and teens I did it every week, and in some circumstances I went to someone's home each week to teach them the lesson they missed on Sunday (now I might do it over skype alternatively).
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:28:04 am »
Every teacher could mail quote or a handout from the lesson periodically to absent members, though as a teacher of children and teens I did it every week, and in some circumstances I went to someone's home each week to teach them the lesson they missed on Sunday (now I might do it over skype alternatively).
If only our teachers/instructors/facilitators would do this in my Branch. The sisters I am assigned won't let me actually visit them, so I send an email to one and snail mail to the other three. After reading your post, pnr, I am now going to send them an Reader's Digest version of the Gospel Doctrine lesson of the week along with the RS lesson.

Our Youth Sunday School teachers (husband & wife team) hand out a portion of the lesson to the students then they stand and present what they have been given. Don't know if they have received it prior to Sunday - so they have more time to read and prepare, but they participate more in the class since this husband & wife team have started instructing them. 

When I substitute in RS, on Monday I post the lesson w/link on our Branch RS FB page. On Wednesday, I post it again along with a blurb about it. On Saturday I post an invitation for the sisters to read the lesson, print it out, and come to Church not only to partake of the sacrament, attend & participate in Gospel Doctrine but to also to come to RS to participate and help me with the lesson.

On those times attendance is higher - and the normally *less active* sisters thank me for the Invitation Postings in the FB page.

mirkwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 08:51:56 pm »
I went once.  The lady in our ward who goes up every fast and testimony meeting and gives us a 15 minute storytimony rambled on and on and on about nothing the whole time.  I've never been back.
preppercop.blogspot.com

* Top Posters

Curelom
1090 Posts
Roper Roper
890 Posts
dyany dyany
742 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
606 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts