Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Voice of the Lord  (Read 214 times)

beefche

• Wise bovine
    • View Profile
Voice of the Lord
« on: March 01, 2017, 02:49:29 pm »
In my scripture reading, I came across 1Nephi 16:39

39 And it came to pass that the Lord was with us, yea, even the voice of the Lord came and did speak many words unto them, and did chasten them exceedingly; and after they were chastened by the voice of the Lord they did turn away their anger, and did repent of their sins, insomuch that the Lord did bless us again with food, that we did not perish.

A little background. Lehi and Ishmael's families have been traveling for a while. Broken bows, hunger, rebellion, and death have plagued the group. This is soon after Ishmael passed away. Laman stirs up his brother and brothers-in-law to conspire to kill Lehi and Nephi.

Then this last scripture. So, Laman/Lemuel/others are lying and conspiring to murder, but the voice still spoke to them. How? I know the Lord is very merciful and patient and would rather chastise someone than lose that one. But, if they are saying that there is no Lord and no angels, then how are they able to hear the voice of the Lord? Nephi doesn't explain how the voice was able to reach them--simply the voice spoke and the rebellious listened and repented.

Thoughts?

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
Re: Voice of the Lord
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 07:00:16 pm »
Laman was not denying the existence of God and angels.  He said Nephi was not being administered to by angels, as Nephi claimed to be.  Laman wanted to be the leader, as he felt primogeniture should apply.  Baby Brother wasn't playing along, and it was a thorn in his side continually.

I think of family members who have seen miracles, but they don't care.  Laman's pride was like a set of blinders.  Jealousy ate away at him and kept him from consistently following the correct path.  In a group like this, where everyone needs everyone to be working towards the same goal just for survival, this is dangerous.  No wonder he had to be slapped upside the head figuratively with something harsh.

I've seen people like this in my own life.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Curelom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:58:31 pm »
I donít think the Lord necessarily withholds His voice from people just because they are behaving badly or denying His gifts or rejecting His laws or guidance. As beefie said, the Lord (Heavenly Father and/or Jesus Christ) is merciful & patient, & gives every one of His children opportunity after opportunity to become teachable, humble, & repentant.

Some people need more opportunities than others Ė Jonah, for instance, along with Laman & Lemuel, who never did get it. Some had been behaving pretty badly but didnít need multiple messages because, for the Lordís own purposes, their spirits were receptive enough the first time: examples would be Saul of Tarsus & Alma (both of them).

Enochscion

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:56:01 pm »
I am almost certain that, in that situation, the Lord's voice was a physical acoustic phenomenon. There is nothing preventing the Lord from interacting in the physical world. He isn't limited to a spiritual dimension only, any more than we are. If he were only going to interact with us through a still small voice and subtle miracles, why did he give us physical bodies and a universe full of energy, matter, and supernovas?

Jesus multiplied physical bread and physical fish. Angels moved a physical stone, and Christ took up again a physical body and told thousands of people to touch it.

I sometimes wonder why we want to focus so much on the spiritual sometimes, that we forget the value and reality of the physical. (I actually have a theory based on some psychological personality theories, but that's besides the point.) It is important that we don't view the Lord as limited in his ability to interact with us.

Perhaps this scripture will help in interpretation. It's Nephi speaking to his brothers later on, probably referring to the original quote.

1 Nephi 17:45 Ye are swift to do iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God. Ye have seen an angel, and he spake unto you; yea, ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words; wherefore, he has spoken unto you like unto the voice of thunder, which did cause the earth to shake as if it were to divide asunder.

* Top Posters

Curelom
904 Posts
Roper Roper
797 Posts
dyany dyany
646 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
530 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
401 Posts

* Board Statistics