Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Re-purposing  (Read 821 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
Re-purposing
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:26:06 pm »
I removed the sliding closet doors in my guest bedroom. For the past 6 years they have never, ever stayed in track - so since I am 6years older, 6 years more feeble and 6 years Sick And Tired of them, I removed them.

BUT I have yet to get them completely out the door and into the pickup to take to the dump.

Even though I am in pretty much constant pain (right bum cheek all the way down the back of the right leg ending under the right foot) I am in the process of re-arranging, tidying, tossing JUNK-Trash-Etc from the master bedroom.

We have a king bed that is on a hollywood frame aka no head &/or footboard. I have always wanted head/foot board, but the cost has been over the moon for me. Now, here are these doors - up against the one blank wall that is out of the way.

This post is asking for ideas on how to re-purpose those doors without sawing them. I can do screws- drill pilot holes then do screws or even bolts if that would be better- but can not do sawing.

The doors, 2 of them, are 28" wide and 80" long. The king bed is a bit smaller than 80" wide. As heavy as these doors are I am assuming they are NOT hollow core.

There isn't enough of them to do both the head and foot - sort of wish I had one one door- then I could connect two together using L brackets on the front and back.

So, any decoration ideas? Painting? My room is plain. When I bought this house I knew that the owners only primed the interior, but I never had the energy, or the ladders (vaulted ceilings through the entire house) to paint. Six years later I still have not painted. I still have the curtains in the bedroom that were left behind. I hate them, but I have yet to find any that I like or even fabric pattern that I like.

I am NOT a lace and ruffle woman. I love plaids -  the attached fabric is what I covered the seats in my dining room and also the curtains. Oh how I wish I had bought the six bolts Walmart had. That would have been just enough to do ALL the windows in my house. Had I not bought that fabric, I was going to buy 4 flannel plaid shirts and use them.

Iggy

• View Profile
Re: Re-purposing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:13:27 pm »
I finally changed out the window coverings in my living room. I have cruised the fabric aisles at Walmart, and gone online to various sites. All that I want end up being so expensive.

As I was getting out of my car after dark, I looked up at the window and discovered that the 'black out' panels no longer were blacking out the lights from inside the house.

A few days later, as I was cruising Walmart and Fred Meyer for curtains, their black out panels of the better quality than I had originally bought were nearly 75% more expensive! Cost even more than if I made curtains from non-black out material.

Fred Meyer had nearly all of the fabric shower curtains marked down to super low Clearance prices. I bought two that would blend with the sand colored panels that were up in the office part of my living room. That evening I put them up - by removing the valance panel and installing a decorative rod. Then I went outside to see if that shower curtain over the panel would block the inside view. It did! You can still tell that the lights are on, but you can no longer see the exact shape of the lamps or of the person sitting near them.

Went up the next day to get two more curtains to finish off the sand colored panels (my *office* is at the entrance corner of the living room, two windows), and I wanted to find two curtains to go over the burgundy panels at the other living room window, and four shower curtains for the guest bedroom to cover the navy blue curtain.

Done, all look great. Cafe Paris https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0MFSAK/ref=asc_df_B01N0MFSAK5009604/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01N0MFSAK&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194974475955&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17542062986758805539&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033024&hvtargid=pla-315647298383  The others are fading infinity style circles.

I am keeping an eye out for something to go with the deep burgundy curtains in the master bedroom. I am so tired of the flowery, frilly over curtain with it's matching valance. Bleh - came with the house and I never had the energy to find something new. Oh, ALL windows had plastic Venetian blinds. PLASTIC!! At least they were easy enough to break up to fit in the small trash bin. Our garbage collectors won't recycle them. Only the metal parts - all the rest is TRASH.

I keep looking at the clearance fabric shower curtains. Nothing so far.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:13:14 pm »
I never saw this when you first posted. Were you able to repurpose the closet doors into a headboard? Your idea of using fabric shower panels for black-out panels is so genius.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 02:27:18 am »
Haven't done the head board yet. Ran out of strength -n- energy.

The shower curtain trick I copied from my neighbor/sister @ church. She used much darker printed ones - but they go so good in her living room & dining room.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1643 Posts
Roper Roper
1524 Posts
dyany dyany
956 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
825 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
653 Posts

* Recent Posts