Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Nauvoodles in real life  (Read 927 times)

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Nauvoodles in real life
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:34:32 am »
A few weeks ago, I met some of our neighbors at Curlybat's house. (Thanks, Curlybat, for your generosity in offering a place for us to meet.)

As many of you know, Curlybat and his wife are foster parents.  Over the years, they have raised 34 children in their home.  They have adopted and been sealed to some of those children.  Their home was immediately inviting, safe, and nurturing. And the kids who are there right now are just delightful.  I came away in awe of the lifelong  service and sacrifice which characterize the life of Curlybat and his lovely wife.  Their home is a safe harbor.

Patty was there.  I could tell by the sparkle in her eyes that she was keenly observing every interaction.  Every time she spoke, she said something to uplift another person. What a blessing it would be to have a close personal friend with Patty's compassion.

About 10 years ago, I met JanaLynn and her family in Nauvoo, IL. I met her again at Curlybat's home.  She has the same wit and wisdom I remember.  If Jana lived here, I would hope that she would run for political office.  Her carefully considered approach to life is based on bedrock principles and focused on common-sense reality.

Service, compassion, and wisdom. In real life, each of the Nauvoodles I met is a shining example of what it means to live as a disciple of Christ.  My life is richer for having spent a few hours with them.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, cook, curlybat, beefche, Curelom, dyany, palmetto_gal, Iggy, Jacaré

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
Re: Nauvoodles in real life
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 04:16:04 pm »
Roper, i love you to the ground. Forever. But THIS:

If Jana lived here, I would hope that she would run for political office.  Her carefully considered approach to life is based on bedrock principles and focused on common-sense reality.

will never happen on this earth.  However, when I am queen...... ::)

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Jacaré

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:47:36 pm »
Just letting everyone know that Roper was talking about Patty Blue and not me.  While Patty and I found a lot in common when she was here Roper's words fit her much better than they do me. 
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Jacaré

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:12:24 pm »
Started to tell on the Porch about my visit w/Jana, CrowGirl, & the two little Crows, but didn’t have time to get into detail. CrowGirl said to signal when I got home safely, so I hope she gets this smoke signal.

Had no time in between before starting a different adventure & was able to borrow a few minutes tonight on a colleague’s laptop to post a few words – I didn’t bring mine & my smart phone is sick.

Hi, Jana! Hi, CrowGirl! Hi, A*****! Hi, A*****!  :) (I know CrowGirl is careful about putting her kids’ info out there, so I won’t).

What wonderful sisters – I really enjoyed all of them. I have always tended to keep my on-line life separate from RL, & have met few online forum acquaintances. I can’t say, based on Nauvoo Ward cyber ward contacts. that I had any specific expectations of what they’d be like, but AFAIC it couldn’t have been better for people meeting for the first time. We were a compatible group from the start, the way fellow ward members from around the world ought to be. We might not ever do something like this again, but I’m glad we did it & will always fondly remember the past couple of days.

The following users thanked this post: beefche, Roper, CrowGirl, Jacaré

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:37:53 am »
What a wonderful time I had this week, with several Nauvoodles, too!  Curelom is such a lovely, generous person, and I certainly feel fortunate she had the time to meet up with us.  The CrowDaughters say Hello, back!

My girls had a lovely time with their new Oma, too.  Two temples, six(!) missions, sharing some of my favorite places in Southern/Central(?) California with a woman who bonded so lovingly with CrowMother--Jana, my door is open to you and yours any time.

Jacaré, Mrs. Jacaré and Youngest Jacaré Son are wonderful people, too.  CrowMan's employment has been a concern, and he's been very helpful, even during the grief and stress in their lives.  I've not closed down a restaurant in over 20 years, and can't think of better people to have done it with. 

The first time I met Jana, and Old Nauvoodle BG27, eight years ago, I wrote it was like meeting old friends for the first time.  It reminds me how much I love Nauvoo.

Thank you, for such a wonderful time.  May this not be the last we see of one another.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:55:08 pm by CrowGirl »
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: beefche, Curelom, Roper, Jacaré

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 11:07:17 am »
I am not at all surprised that so many of you bonded so well in real life. I'm just sad that I can't meet all y'all, too. I know Dianoia in real life, of course, since we were in a university ward together decades ago, and she and her husband are beyond terrific people, and I've met Jana's husband, and he's also terrific, but I really need to meet the rest of you.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Jacaré

Jacaré

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 01:56:03 am »
When meeting Nauvoodles in real life for the first time, I've always felt like I was meeting old friends. Always good times and great conversation. We've met Jana along with her whole family, BG, Hans and Roz, Ketchupqueen and her family, Beau Zoe and family, and now Crowgirl and the Crowdaughters.

The Ketchup family and Hans came to my wife and son's baptism, Hans stood in my wife's confirmation circle, my wife and I attended Roz's funeral  (although sadly, we missed Hans'), and we attended the baptism of one of the Ketchupkids.

We've been blessed by our Nauvoo associations. I believe some of the best people I've ever known are right here on this forum.
"He was old, Ephraim. He was 52."

The following users thanked this post: beefche, Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »
CrowGirl asked me to send up a signal when I was back on the Curelom Farm, so here it is.

What a great few days this past week. :) I’d previously met CrowGirl, the CrowChicks, & Jana, & this time I met CrowMan, CrowMother, Andries, & Libertygranny. What fine people they are, & I’m glad to have them as brothers & sisters. Together & separately we enjoyed conversation, shared meals, a temple session, shopping, sightseeing, a visit to a funky artsy mountain town, quilting, school functions, & other little slices of life. Special thanks to the CrowFamily for your hospitality & for showing us your town.

I hope that the YW camp fundraiser at the CrowWard was a royal success, Jana & Andries are settling in after their long flight home, & the other Nauvoodle neighbors in the LA area are well (did you tell them we miss them?) 

Traffic through the SB-LA metro area on Saturday was like frozen molasses, & from about Claremont west, the air looked like mud. >:(  It all made me so logy that I almost dozed off in the stop-and-go traffic on 210 before even getting to Pasadena. Once I hit the Ventura Freeway & then 101 nearer the coast, I perked up. I stopped at Motel 6 in Atascadero, but the rate they quoted was outrageous (similar to the Best Western where Jana & I stayed, which had hot breakfast, evening cookies, free guest beverages, computers, exercise room, pool & jacuzzi, & other niceties no Motel 6 ever saw). So I continued to King City & stayed at a Comfort Inn. I had a late supper at “V’s Diner” in honor of our dear departed Nauvoodle neighbor even though I’m sure she was a better cook than the ones at the diner. 

Love you all!  <3

The following users thanked this post: CrowGirl

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:10 pm »
we are home a nd safe. LAX security made me furious but that was the worst 15 minutes of the entire process. came home to relentless grey and rain. i have been sleeping in my own bed with glee. we are unpacked.

our week was full of joy and goodthings. Nauvoo continues to bless us in so many ways.

now back to bed.

The following users thanked this post: CrowGirl

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 02:02:35 am »
Jana, I'm glad to know that on your whole trip, LAX was as bad as it got. No one likes airports, so we can all sympathize.

I just enjoyed one of the little caramel hard candies & thought about you & the grand time I had with everyone.  :)

I was curious about the organizational HQ CrowGirl pointed out on our little tour, & googled it to see what details might be had. It's quite interesting. Only 1000 of the very elite get to be there, & the place is as secure as Fort Knox ... to both entry & exit, according to some accounts. A public road bisects the property & the owners have cameras that record everything that passes by. It isn't big, but it looks elaborate on the satellite map view.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:42:44 am by Curelom »

* Top Posters

Curelom
1041 Posts
Roper Roper
859 Posts
dyany dyany
720 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
588 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts