Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: PRAYER LIST  (Read 19789 times)

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
Re: PRAYER LIST
« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2018, 09:36:22 am »
I am with you. do not go out.  that poor boy.  I would be scared witless.   be careful you sure don't want sick on top of everything

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2018, 10:58:15 pm »
Last I heard, yesterday evening, it's now 150 homes, shops, and cars destroyed, but rioting and violence continued after that. I've read of two dead, but I don't know if that's the real count or those were just two that were mentioned. We have a real lack of information here as to what's really going on.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2018, 12:02:16 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about all this, feel terrible for you & your neighbors who are being impacted. Prayers continuing.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2018, 09:41:39 pm »
The riots are theoretically over, at least for now. I still have no idea of the damage - news inside Sri Lanka is not great. Social media is still blocked. Curfew in Kandy still in effect. But the bigotry and hate speech continues.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:00 pm »
Laurie, how is the situation now? Were your extended family all in safe places during the worst of it?

The following users thanked this post: Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:03 pm »
Some of my husband's family were in the areas where rioting and vandalism happened. One of them had four gas bombs thrown at his house, but luckily (very very luckily), they didn't work and no damage happened as a result. Others had their houses stoned. But that's the worst of it for the relatives.

Things have calmed down, people have been arrested. Sadly, a lot of the people in the mobs were young - as in, 18-30. People on twitter talked about how the racists were all older people and the younger generation is better - I wouldn't say that is necessarily the case given who was actually destroying property.

Social media is still blocked and will be until at least Friday. Part of that is because facebook doesn't do much of anything to remove hate speech from their site. I've reported more than a few groups that, in English, called for death and destruction to specific groups in Sri Lanka. According to facebook, they aren't in violation of facebook's community standards. The hate speech groups in Sinhalese are even less likely to be removed because facebook doesn't have anyone or enough people who can read Sinhalese to deal with them. The government of Sri Lanka has set up a meeting with Facebook to discuss these things. I doubt that anything will change.

Germany and another country in Europe ( I don't recall right now which one) have laws that state that hate speech needs to be removed (from facebook as well as everywhere else) within a certain time frame. Facebook doesn't care about that, and Germany's a powerful country. Why would they care about what a country like Sri Lanka says?

The violence is over, theoretically, for now. But I doubt it's really over completely. The hate speech spreads lies and misinformation about minority groups, and until those lies and misinformation and hate speech are squashed, the hate and destruction will continue. Sri Lankans aren't great at reining in their emotions and destruction.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Sparky, Patty Rain, Palmon

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 09, 2018, 01:43:00 am »
Prayers going forth for the victims & survivors of the terrible truck-bus crash in Saskatchewan that took 15 young junior hockey players & their coaches/trainers.  Losing all those kids & youth mentors in an instant is just awful. God bless their families.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 09, 2018, 10:39:20 pm »
Curelom, I didn't know you'd hear about that in the US. It's all over my facebook feed because of all the Canadians I know. What a horrible thing.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 13, 2018, 02:08:30 am »
This was a major news item here, Laurie. I do wish we got more news from Canada, since they are our neighbors & we sometimes tend to take them for granted! Maybe folks in Washington or Montana hear more. We get a fair amount of news from Mexico, since they are closer & of course much of the news these days revolves around relations & immigration policies between the two countries.

The other day there was another school bus tragedy, one in India that killed 27 kids.

One small county in California is dealing with two family tragedies involving travelers over the last few days, which some folks outside may have heard about. They both involve private vehicles with kids going off the road into the water. One was two female partners from Washington State & the kids they adopted, with witnesses reporting seeing a van at the foot of an ocean cliff in Mendocino County (about 3 hours north of S.F.) The 2 women & 3 kids were found dead. & evidence points to the other 2 kids being with them & this being a multiple murder-suicide. A lot has come out about this group & possible issues of how the kids were treated.

And a couple days ago, 30 miles from the earlier tragedy, people reported seeing a red SUV fall into a river after a major storm. A vehicle of that description with a family of 4 from southern California had been reported overdue. No one could get in to begin searching right away because the river was so high from recent rain, but now a search has begun & police are finding vehicle parts & items confirming the identity of the people - just haven't found any sign of the people.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1244 Posts
Roper Roper
1034 Posts
dyany dyany
786 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
647 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts

* Recent Posts