Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: PRAYER LIST  (Read 14893 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: PRAYER LIST
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2017, 12:43:16 am »
Prayers going forth for folks in the latest hurricane zone. Irma is terrifying. The accounts of what has happened in the West Indies and Puerto Rico are frightening. Those islands have been totally clobbered. The Windward Islands are called that for a reason.

I know we have Nauvoodles in the path of this monster & we can only pray they are safe. JennaDean is in Jacksonville, IIRC. Palmetto_gal, are you getting warnings?

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2017, 02:28:22 am »
I think prayers may be in order for this situation that's emerged in the last hour.

There has been an 8.1 magnitude quake in southern Mexico, in the state of Chiapas which is the last one north of Guatemala. It was the middle of the night & we donít know about casualties or damage, but it was felt in Mexico City, over 400 miles away, & in western Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, & Costa Rica. It doesn't seem possible that such a major quake wouldn't kill & hurt people. A CBS reporter in Mexico City said it felt as if her house were shifting.

There are possible tsunami alerts for the nearby coasts & perhaps Hawaii but not the U.S. or Canada at this time.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2017, 11:22:25 pm »
Please also keep Asia in your prayers. There's been flooding all over with at least 1200 dead. Bangladesh was 1/3 under water. At least 40 million people are affected.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2017, 01:08:20 am »
Curelom, thanks for the heads up.  One of my clients was telling me about this today but she said it was in NEW Mexico, so I was rather confused.  As was she, apparently, because she kept forgetting we had talked about it and brought it up a couple more times.  Which was kind of convenient, because the later times I looked like I knew about it, since she had completely forgotten she had been the one to tell me about it.

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2017, 04:14:26 pm »
Palmetto_gal, are you getting warnings?

Yes, but the situation doesn't seem as dire as it was yesterday or Thursday.  Irma's path is headed westward, which means Sparky may see more damage than I will, but as we are constantly reminded the most damage from hurricane winds is to the east, where I am located.  There is no bread or bottled water on the shelves of the local grocery stores, and most of the gasoline stations have run out of fuel because of the panicked people. 

I'm guessing that by Wednesday, many people will say it was not nearly as bad as it was predicted, but I remain firm in my faith that Heavenly Father has it all under His control. 

I work 0.8 miles from the hospital where I am employed.  My shift begins at 2 pm and I leave at 10:30.  If things start to get dicey on Monday evening, I will go home and wait out the storm with Sophie the Wondercat. 

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2017, 04:15:30 pm »
And what it is about Americans who don't know the difference between the State of New Mexico and the country of Mexico?  SMH!

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2017, 05:06:59 pm »
This is an elderly patient with mental illness, a history of alcohol abuse, and I suspect some dementia.  There are many possible and excusable reasons she could have got it wrong.  I cut her some slack.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2017, 11:56:55 pm »
Dyany, when you said this person had trouble knowing Mexico from New Mexico, at first I thought the same thing as palmetto_gal. But when you said she kept forgetting & brought it up again repeatedly, the bell went off in my head: she might have Alzheimerís or some other neurological or cognitive issue.

OTOH, if this had been a young person - American kids are not renowned for their knowledge of geography. Is it even taught in schools anymore? I think there are students who can't label which island cluster as Japan or the Philippines, or tell the difference between Australia & Austria, or even find their own state on a U.S. map. ::)  I taught seminary for a couple of years when the Bible was the text, & it was a challenge to get kids to be able to figure out a map of the ancient world (like those in the Bible) & relate it to modern Israel, Palestine, Iraq, Iran, etc.

Back on topic Ė prayers continue for those in so many places affected by disasters. Itís a tough time & so many people are in distress. I know my donations to the LDS Humanitarian Fund & Red Cross can never be enough, & my prayers & every other personís wonít necessarily relieve someoneís needs, but hopefully theyíll at least be aware that many people have been calling on the Lord on their behalf. It might be all most of us can do.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 15, 2017, 06:07:00 am »
Dear Prayer People,
Firstly, those of you that prayed Andries and I through the summer, thank you. We were able to attend Else' s graduation, give her hugs and send her off into the future with love.  Tender Mercies.indeed. That burden on my heart is lighter.
But in the last couple of weeks, it appears we have a crisis coming with David.  You all know he has been a challenge and a blessing all his life. He has doing really well. Far better than even we expected. Until now.
He is tired. He is overwhelmed. He is spinning his wheels. I think he is frustrated that his sister graduated and he did not.  He is threatening to quit.  That would be catastrophic. He has to redo about a years worth of exams because he never had to study very hard and university and self study is not natural to him.  And dad is not there to sit down and keep him focussed.  He CAN do it for himself depending on his interest level.
What he needs to do is hone the skill of planning. His biggest hurdle this week is making an appointment with his study advisor.  He makes thresholds for himself which he is fearful to cross.  He must move on into his Masters next year or he will end up unhappily working at jobs he hates all the rest of his life.  He has already given up the idea of a doctorate and university research....he would have been a champion.
At this point my prayer is just that he gets his bachelor.  At least then he can get a job where he can get close to employment he will excell in.
This prayer needs more than just mama.  This prayer needs all of us.
He has done amazingly well so far and it is frightening to see him backslide so suddenly . I wish he'd go get therapy. but he cannot even bring himself to go talk to the mentor....and I cannot push him anymore.   He feels like he is going to explode....

So please help him through this. I will continue to pray for all of you as  we have done for each other in the past.  Prayer works.
My heartfelt thanks.
J

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:49 pm »
Prayers continuing for your family, dear Jana. Iím relieved & happy to hear about Else, & the burden you as parents feel lifted. Prayers going forth for David, & hoping he can pull it all together & finish the work he needs to do.

From what youíve said several times, it seems the educational & career paths are fairly well set, & if people donít finish their schooling, they can essentially be trapped. Can David connect with people, institutions, or companies that could use his research ability or other talents (including remotely/at a distance) even without a doctorate? Iím thinking of young people in the U.S. who have dropped out of school & become successful in some field where a diploma was less essential (Steve Jobs is one example).

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2017, 12:29:50 pm »
sure he does not need a,PhD to be a technician. If he is lucky and lands a research position,without Masters it will be really boring bottle washing and go fer work I am afraid.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2017, 09:07:40 pm »
Or maybe he'll move to the US where the university slots aren't so rigid once he gets himself together.   I've been praying for him.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2017, 04:04:49 am »
Or maybe he'll move to the US where the university slots aren't so rigid...
This was sort of what I had in mind. Either that or virtually connecting with an institution where he might have a chance to demonstrate his abilities & talents without necessarily having the diploma. Either way, the chances might be better in the U.S. where occupational paths are not always so stringently defined, & he might have an opportunity to show what he knows & what he can do instead of what documents he has.

Either way, prayers will continue for David & the rest of the Jade family.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #313 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:16 am »
You must remember: while the paths are more open scholastically in the states, they are far more restrictive financially.  So I will continue to pray that he can work things out where he is, or find his own path.

The following users thanked this post: Jana at Jade House

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 18, 2017, 11:51:32 pm »
Another dangerous hurricane, Maria, now Category 5, is approaching some of the Caribbean islands that already took a beating from Irma.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Hurricane-Maria-heads-toward-already-battered-12205159.php

Prayers going forth for folks on Puerto Rico, the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Martinique, St. Kitts, & other islands that can ill afford another severe storm. :(

I'll just add on to this, that Mexico has had another disastrous earthquake, an estimated 7.1 that killed 149 known people & did extensive damage in & around Mexico City.

Prayers going forth for people affected by this latest calamity.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/A-major-earthquake-shakes-Mexico-City-12209479.php
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:48:12 pm by Curelom »

* Top Posters

Curelom
1057 Posts
Roper Roper
874 Posts
dyany dyany
733 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
592 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts