Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: PRAYER LIST  (Read 15726 times)

pnr

• View Profile
Re: PRAYER LIST
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2017, 02:48:52 pm »
Having rebellious or hurt or confused children makes it really easy to understand why murder is the worst sin: it takes some of us an entire long life to work through everything and become what we wanted in the pre-existence to do.   Premature death results in all sorts of problems for those who really need that time to get things right.

Mortals have such short term views on almost all things.   Given that God's time is different it must also be easier for Him to see whatever struggles we have as a very small part of what has been and will be lives of which we can be proud and lives Heavenly Parents knew we'd conquer, when they sent us here.  So what if twenty years of the time wasn't right in line?  His day is 1000 of our years.  So the 20 or whatever years is barely a breathe.  Certainly not who we have been and will be.

I'm pretty sure too that when our kids are off doing things they know to violate commandments, they are also mostly doing good.  They may understand "good" differently, or even wrongly.   But what sticks for most kids is that underlying understanding of solid, responsible people.   This is true even when they are themselves irresponsible in one or many things.  In other words, they know what good looks and smells and acts like, and they aren't evilly living their lives intentionally in most cases.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:27:52 pm by pnr »
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Palmon

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2017, 09:42:49 pm »
Thanks for the "long view" reminder, PNR. I also have to remind myself that my kids, like me and like our first parents, have to learn through their own experience to judge good and evil. I also have to remember that Father designed His plan specifically to promote agency.

I still draw the line when my child's choices hurt other people. Those consequences are clearly communicated ahead of time and consistently applied afterwards.

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2017, 07:17:42 pm »
I have been lurking off & on, but summer travel & activities has kept me from being a full-time Nauvoodle. So I try to at least keep up with this thread so I can see who need prayers or positive thought waves. And with so many people needing them at the moment, Iíll just have to say for now that you are all in my prayers.

(from Jana) It's stupid and selfish but I take comfort that people I admire and know are far better folk than me also have ungrateful/rebellious/bewildering offspring.

Or, for those of us not blessed with brats of our own, far better people than us have ungrateful/rebellious/bewildering siblings, spouses, parents, nieces, nephews, friends, neighbors, students, employers, employees, etc. Ė all of whom are children of a Heavenly Father who knows more about brats & parenting than all of us put together ever will!

Iím seeing two real-life examples of Godly & Christlike love in the recent posts. Curly & Sister Bat, in the continuing care & love for all those foster children, just as Heavenly Father doesnít forget His children even when they are far away (in any sense). And Jana & Andries, to keep supporting Sweetpea financially despite how sheís treated you, is like Christ forgiving those who reviled & beat Him at Calvary. If I were a young person & did that to my parents, I would be prepared to be totally on my own & never take another cent from them, & I donít understand her reasoning why she isnít doing that, nor is it any of my beeswax. But youíre doing as our Father & Elder Brother do when they never totally cut us off.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, curlybat, Roper

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 15, 2017, 07:09:06 pm »
Thanks, Curelom and everyone else. We don't do near as much as many. We always felt we had the room in our home and hearts for more.  Sadly, as we move to adoption of the girls we will most likely have to stop taking in foster placements as we will not have the physical room for more.  We will keep our license just in case but our fostering days may be over for a while.  We were going to buy a home but the prices have been climbing too fast and too high.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:09:53 pm by curlybat »
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 15, 2017, 07:41:30 pm »
I was surprised at how expensive homes are in St. George. From Spanish Fork heading north up I-15 it's the same. Central UT still seems reasonable, at least for the next little while
 You could always move to Santaquin and we could be neighbours!

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2017, 09:21:45 pm »
I like Santaquin and Payson.  My FILs family (both sides) are from that area.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 26, 2017, 01:00:38 am »
Prayers for the well-being of anyone in the path of Hurricane Harvey. It's supposed to be a monster of a storm. I hope y'all are safe.

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2017, 03:06:42 am »
Obviously, people are not all safe. :( Prayers continue.

CrowGirl

• Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #293 on: August 29, 2017, 12:54:21 pm »
I am not here for me, but for Houston and the surrounding area.  The temple has flooded.  My nephew is in that mission.  He's right on the Texas/Louisiana border.  From Elder CrowNephew's mother:

The mission president had to be evacuated. He had no power, and flood water was about a foot from his house. I heard that when they built the temple it was on a hill, and they raised the foundation even higher to prevent flooding. Please pray for that area. Houston can't handle that much more rain, and it looks like the storm is headed up (Nephew's) way. He's expected to get anywhere from 10-15 inches.

His city has already flooded. 
Thank you.  This Prayer List is a powerful thing.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 29, 2017, 04:32:27 pm »
Unfortunately, it appears the storm went out to sea but is going to turn inland again, coming in tomorrow & striking another blow at this area that has already been thrashed & is under water. This will mean more flooding, more evacuations & people with no place to go. As for the areas presently flooded, no telling who is there that couldnít get out. Prayers continuing for everyone in the affected areas.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2017, 05:27:59 am »
Once again I feel the need for your prayers. I am trying my best to weather this storm with grace and dignity, but I really am flailing and failing internally.  Having Himself gone for 10 days has not helped and then finding I am tethered to that Cpap for the rest of my life was a downer.

I am feeling very very tired and ready to throw in the towel.  This is not good.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2017, 10:25:50 am »
Oh, Jana, I'm praying for you.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2017, 11:12:43 am »
Prayers & love & hugs for you, Jana.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2017, 10:02:00 am »
Once again, the sincere prayer of far off brothers and sister have reached the ears of the Lord. How grateful I am for the power of prayer and that I can ask and people respond.  I am far better today. As I get older it takes me a little more time to reset than it used to.  I am like one of those bop em blow up clowns from the last generation where you gave them a punch and they'd roll right back up. Well, I have lost a little air and it takes abit longer.

Himself and I had a good conversation about our new family circumstance and although we are not totally in step, we are a team and are facing this challenge together.

My anxiety attack has passed.  Not throwing in the towel  today :)

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, dyany, Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2017, 11:09:50 pm »
Continued prayers & hugs, Jana

* Top Posters

Curelom
1090 Posts
Roper Roper
890 Posts