Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Iggy's Ramblings  (Read 3234 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
Re: Iggy's Ramblings
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2017, 07:46:15 pm »

Personally, when I visit people, even very dear people, I like the idea of staying at a hotel so both they & I can come & go, be free to get together when we wish, not be in each otherís hair, & not continually feel obligated to entertain each other.
Also, being in a Hotel/Motel I can be undressed comfy and not offend/ be embarrassed/ etc.

At home Hubby & I wear minimal clothing. I wear capri jammies or just one of his old short sleeve dress shirt and slippers.

Hubby has been living in the recliner in the living room for years now. About once a year I go stark raving nuts because of the accumulated clutter. The trash that never makes it to the trash can, dirty dishes that can't seem to find their way back into the kitchen and the dishwasher. Dirty clothes gathering into piles under fleece throws. Medications that are  e v e r y w h e r e!

Last week it was all I could do to keep from tearing into the mess and start hauling crap out to the garbage bin.

Now, my area where my desk, table w/coloring items, books - it takes up space too. AND it does need to be sorted through, lots of items trashed and organized. BUT there are no dirty clothes, dirty dishes, accumulated fleece throws/pillows/used damp towels.

When I was shopping Saturday, an idea bloomed that perhaps the substitute for hubby taking two of my double summer quilts, rolled up and around about three bed pillows and tied up with nylon string would be a bean bag. The kind you fill up yourself.

I picked one out - lavender with white dots - think it is 25" all around - took one bag of *beans* to fill it. Took me an HOUR to fill the stupid thing. Stooped over the entire time. My muscles H U R T. I took away his quilt roll up, and gave him the bean bag. How he uses it is: Reclined back in the chair, he puts it under his legs to alleviate the pressure on his hips, knees and right leg. Now to tear through and remove the towels, dishes, & trash!!!

Also, the 1st through the 7th my stupid car would not start all the time. Not being dependable I didn't dare drive it further than just to the post office. We made an appointment with the Auto Dr, everything checked out A-ok on their machine thing. They had it for 3 hours while we went to breakfast and two Dr appointments. It started every time. So the guy recommended that for every third fill up to go to the Towne Pump in Newport, OR and fill it with gas w/Ethanol. Had a little less than half a tank, so I filled up. $3.99 9/10 per gal. Since then have driven all over - up to Newport 25-30 miles one way three times, into town here round trip three times and to church today. Which is a total of 8 miles round trip. No problems starting. So, from now on, the third fill up will be with the gas+ethanol.

On a good note ~ ~ It is 70 degrees out with a whisper of a breeze and it is 75 degrees in the house. All is quiet and I am now ready to go lay down, cuddle up with my four legged, furry, flip-flopping, farting, velcro feline Fred!!   :o

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2017, 04:23:21 pm »
gosh. since I do move into peoples house and stay for a while, i sure hope folks dont talk about my stay negatively.  i do try to blend into the woodwork and not cause extra work....

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2017, 06:09:26 pm »
Jana you know that I was never talking about you. Yes we knew you were here, and your presence did curtail just one of our habits, but it was not that much of an inconvenience.

My complaints were and are regarding my step daughter. She is inconsiderate, and not once has she ever thanked me for accommodating her in my home. She broke the house rules and then got snotty when she was told that she could not stay her again.

Even her brother has chastised her for her actions, in-actions and behavior this last time. He was here and had he not been, I would have had to call in a couple of sisters from Church to chase after the great grands as they tore through the house, into my office stuff and the den. Step Son did the chasing while his sister sat at the dining room table, texting and then skyping on her tablet. Oh, and the Mom of the great grands was there also, doing the same as her mother. This was the first time Hubby had seen Granddaughter since she had been 3 yr old. and she didn't even sit down and TALK/VISIT with him.

The first day they arrived at 10 pm. We were just getting ready to go to bed. They stayed until midnight. The next day they arrived at 4:30 pm carrying take out food - but only enough for themselves. We [Step Son, Hubby and Myself] went ahead and ate the dinner I had prepared for just the three of us, fending off dirty [mud pie, dandelion stem juice and chamomile flower stem juice laden] fingers/hands from digging into the plates of baked skinless/boneless chicken, wild rice and broccoli/carrot/cauliflower dish. Hubby fed great grandson bites off of his own plate.

I took my dinner plate and ate at my computer. Doing that prevented my from slapping both Grammi and Momi up along side their heads, removing the cell phones and demanding that they see to the little ones.

By 9 pm I was beyond exhausted and told step daughter that it was time for them all to go to their motel for the night, and that we would see them the next day AFTER 9 AM and BEFORE Noon!! At noon their Dad and I were leaving for a scheduled appointment. We didn't have an appointment, but we left at noon none-the-less. Step son, Hubby and myself went to lunch two towns away.

Since her *visit* we are missing the charger to my laptop, my newest & most favorite wrist brace, my retractable corded mini mouse for my laptop, and the pack w/the extra accessory plug ins for my digital camera.

Will I open my home to her again? No, and Hubby agrees with me. Step Son called his Pop about three days later and sided with me - this pretty much opened Hubby's eyes as to the selfishness and shallowness of his daughter. AND to the stress and strain it put on me.

Jana, your visit was exhausting, but not stressful. I did more walking during that time, than I had done in probably 5 years. BUT that was a good thing. Each night I slept through the night - which hadn't happened before or very much since. Also, my feet didn't hurt much at all. Which with all the walking they really should have -- but didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed having you in my home. To have you be comfortable enough to go and take a nap, to bring out our sewing and to sit and skype with your family - it touched at my heart strings.

Also, I didn't dash around in a mad frantic to Clean & Tidy up after you like I did with step daughter. After nearly two weeks I changed the sheets and bed linens just like I do after Step Son's visits.

So, bottom line: Step Daughters visits are an imposition, a stress filled one. She never asks if she can come visit/stay with us. Your visits are looked forward to, enjoyable and you are missed when you leave. So much so, that I don't change out the quilt & blankets until some time later - all in the hopes that you will change your mind and come back soon.

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:18 am »
Oh Iggy, I did not take it personally, but since I do spend time with folks, it suddenly made me think about  the disruption to the scheme of things I must of course cause in a different way.   In my case I dunno if I will ever get the chance to see people again so ....  There are visits I/we stay in a hotel because that is what is best for the situation. But I don't expect or demand a home stay.  I figure if people offer, they are up for it.

We did have fun. The cats didn't. 

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2017, 03:26:13 am »
Fred stayed in the bedroom until lights out this time with the Great Grand kids. Fred doesn't mind Step Son that much. He'll come out and rub against his legs or hand. Won't get in his lap though. Step Son forgot and left the bedroom door open one night and Fred went in and slept on his hip.

During your visit, the cats came out to peek at you. Ethel was just fine with staying in the master bedroom - that was her favorite place anyway. You missed the worst of her illness though. She crossed over the rainbow bridge Feb 1, 2017 at the age of 14. She and Fred were born Sept or Oct of 2002.

You know Jana, you are always welcome here. Andries too. The disruption you may cause  is so inconsequential.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2017, 12:09:24 am »
I've had varying degrees/types of house guests as well. My sister and her family help with meals, washing up, tidying up behind themselves, and generally making sure that my workload is not increased one little bit. She and them are always welcome to stay with us.

I had a cousin who left her stuff everywhere, including in common spaces strewn all over the floor so it was impossible to walk anywhere without stepping on her stuff or other messes she left behind, including dirty dishes that she couldn't be bothered to so much as take to the kitchen. She would take a shower and leave wet towels on the floor. She never offered to help with meals or washing up or paying for groceries or gas to drive her hundreds of kilometers. She never said a single thank you. She expected everything done for her. She is not welcome as a house guest.

Jana, I expect you're like my sister. And Iggy's complaining about her step daughter who, by the sounds of things, is like my cousin. Not remotely the same.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2017, 01:39:37 am »
When I went to visit my Mom in another state, I would clean house for her. The sight of the dust bunnies under all of the furniture drove me nuts.

Same goes for my two sisters who shared a house together. They both worked and just didn't feel that house work was a priority. Neither took vacation time together and I visited every three months ~ so while they worked, I cleaned their house. Started with the bathrooms, then the kitchen. All the while doing laundry. By the time my two weeks were over, their home was clean, sparkly and in order. This is also how I *paid* for the food I ate and the gas they used to take me "visiting & sightseeing".

One *vacation* of three weeks I painted the interior of their house. They had picked out the colors and purchased the primer & paint, supplies. While they were at work, I painted. Their two neighbors came over and moved all the furniture into the middle of the room, then just before they got home from work, put all the furniture back. They brought dinner home from take out. THAT was THE most fun vacation I had ever had. Didn't know I liked to paint walls until I went ahead and did it. Took me 6 days to paint kitchen, laundry room, 1.5 bathrooms, three bedrooms, dining room and the living room, including all of the interior of the cupboards & closets. The two neighbors did the ceilings for me. They felt I was just too short and really shouldn't be on a ladder all alone doing that. At the end of my visit, I made dinner for everyone, helping neighbors included.

That was way too many years ago - - 1992 - - it was also one the hottest summers in Seattle. After the first day of painting, I called a girlfriend to come get me and take me to some thrift stores. I had to have cooler clothes to wear painting AND sleeping in.

Oh, one of the strangest visits I have ever had was my oldest brother, his wife and their two just turned teen aged kids (niece and nephew). We only had one extra bedroom, but had a *family* room and *living* room that was divided by the front door. So, I bought two twin camping air mattress's- had more than enough pillows, twin sheets and blankets. Figured the kids would sleep on the floor there in the family and living room, and they would sleep in the extra room on the queen bed - it was a small extra room and there just wasn't much room left on each side of the bed.  Hubby #1 and I went to bed around 11pm, & we got up at 6 AM to head out to work at 6:30 am. Well they moved the bed into the corner against the walls. Put the night stand & dresser in the closet, and had the kids sleep on the floor there in the room with them.

I also planned on them eating dinner with us for the 4 nights they would be there. Never happened. They ate at fast food places for every meal. Even though I had more than enough food in the house for them. We never saw them except when they showed up in the evening around 8 pm to shower/bathe and then go to bed.

I felt like a Motel!! Except no money came my way. At least the dinners I planned on having were easy enough to cook & freeze after they left. Oh, Laura, there were lots of wet bath towels, hand towels, wash cloths and wet floors, dirty tub and sink. They also left our dog in the house when they left after us. Even though I left notes on the front door to make sure she was put outside. The poor dog did keep her messes to the kitchen and bathroom tiled floors!

I never extended an invitation to them again. Blood kin be danged. From then on they stayed at campgrounds.

My first hubby's niece, husband and two toddlers (girl & boy) stayed with us for a week too. She cooked dinners (we worked), the house was clean and we never saw or smelled dirty diapers. She even ironed all of our clothes that were in the to-iron basket. I would pick out an outfit the night before and iron it as hubby was taking his before bed shower. Our master bedroom was HUGE - we could have had two king beds, two long dressers, 4 night tables, and large floor plants in 3 corners. We had only one bed, two night tables and in one corner the ironing board, basket of clothes and a hanging rack for my suits (I worked at the local bank and our closet smelled icky making my suits smell icky) He worked for the garbage people, so his clothes never needed ironing - yeah!! What a joy it was having them visit. Oh, had two extra bedrooms then. The kids were so little that they could easily share a room - they drove and brought the kid's beds with them. 

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:24 pm »
Got a picture and note in the mail today from my oldest sister. Our nephew (eldest boy of our youngest brother) *Eloped* to the Seattle Temple and married a young woman he has been seeing aka courting for a couple of years.

10 June 2017 Dear Nephew married New Niece and then they combined their last names without doing the hyphen thingy. They took the first syllable of her maiden name and the last syllable of his last name. He has ALWAYS been the Unique child in the family. Not just his siblings, but of all the cousins.

They are going to be living in Portland, OR - she is enrolled at Portland State University. That is about all I know. I thought he was still "touring' Europe - after his mission at the Bern, Switzerland Mission he came home for a couple of years. He worked, lived at home to save money, then went on this tour. He hiked, camped, rode a bicycle mostly.

I know that his youngest brother is going to the Univ. Of Washington and is employed by Microsoft.

Anyway I am so happy for him. For them. They are so much closer than the rest of the clan.

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2017, 11:59:53 pm »
After a month of super stress - I now have Medicare, and because we did not respond in time to Cigna regarding the Life Event that was looming for me - getting Medicare and needing to change the coverage I was getting through Cigna, they cancelled me.

After two weeks of phone calls and then emails, they finally sent me a copy of the letter they claimed I ignored. Never got the letter. If I had, you bet your bippy I would have responded in plenty of time.

So, at the 11th hour I sign up for Samaritan Advantage Health Plan HMO. It will cost me $140.00 a month, the medicare will come automatically our of my early SS Retirement check which would be $134.00 a month. We don't know how much of hubby's AZ Retirement check was going to pay for my medical insurance. Next month his deposit should be larger and then we will know.

About the only thing I am not happy about is that the coverage for hearing aids is really paltry. Cigna paid 100% with no limits. Oh, yeah, and Chiropractic visits. New one is only 5 per year. Cigna was 20 per year.

So, now I have medicare and Sam Health. My Dr's and the hospital are all Samaritan to begin with. The Rx is different, so tomorrow I make a call to the rep and ask where I get my pills/insulin from. Which pharmacies can I go through? Any that are mail order? Do they have buy 3 months get for the price of 2 months co-pay?

Now, regarding my early SS check. It is for more than I had anticipated. Next months should be less - I think. Any hoo - - I have decided to hire a housekeeper. I put a *Help Wanted* notice on my branches RS FB page, and one of the sisters answered. This month she can only do next Saturday, then once her boys start school, she can come during the morning. I think twice a month should work, and that is good for her.

Still more good news, I purged my closet again. Got two boxes (bankers boxes) of clothes and one set of flowery fru-fru curtains. Took them to church. One sister took both boxes. WOW - The dress and blouse I was wearing will get laundered and put into a new box, along with two more dresses that are the same, but different colors. It dawned on me driving home that I am now the same weight I was when I graduated High School 47 years ago!! Only have 40 more pounds to lose. Once I reach that goal weight, then and only then will I buy new dresses. I have three dresses that will be too big in a month or so. Five skirts that should go until I hit the goal weight, and two knit dresses that should surpass the goal weight. The skirts are a style that doesn't lend to being slimmed down. Drat, really like them.

All of the new garments I bought when Jana was visiting, well, they are too large. The bottoms have good wide elastic, so they don't slide off. The tops stay put ONLY when I wear a bra over them. I will wear them until they fall to pieces. The too small ones I put away years ago, with the intention of sending them to my Ex-SIL, then never did because she gained weight and they wouldn't fit - - - well they now fit me again. So, this little Chick A Dee now has 32 pairs of garments! WoWzA - that is a lot!! Oh, and Hubby's garments I set aside when he out grew them, because they were still good, just too small. Well, drum roll here ~ ~* * ~ ~ * * he has lost weight too and THEY FIT him. So, now he has 28 pairs. WoWzA again. Just a few more pounds and he will be able to wear the two new dress shirts that I goofed and got one size to small, years ago.

After waiting two months longer than normal will be getting my hair permed and CUT CUT CUT - - - decided against shaving it all off. Though I am still considering doing my eyebrows. They are helter-skelter all over the place as it is. Shaving them will only clean it up. Plus they are nearly white - can't really see them - - - the 18th. Then I will be getting a full body massage (birthday gift from hubby) on the 29th. So, the stress of the last month/two turns into good month at the end of August.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2017, 04:57:51 am »
Congrats on the weight losses. US health insurance - it's sure complicated and sucky. :(

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2017, 12:27:03 pm »
Congrats on the weight losses. US health insurance - it's sure complicated and sucky. :(

Thanks Laurie. I was in tears the first two days of trying to figure out what was going on. We sent all of the Live Event Change forms in via fax. A few days later a call came in around 7:15 AM - woke me up. The man was rude, and extremely short with me. Finally I asked him if he could please write all of what he just said in an email to me, as I was having a really hard time waking up and understanding him. Four hours later he sent the email. It consisted of one short sentence.

Because it is Hubby's retirement, no one will talk to me without his permission. So every time I call, they have to talk to him first. Now we had to scramble to find supplemental insurance for me. There are so many different ones out there, and they make you go through so many hoops, jumps, mazes just to get the basic information. They all wanted my SS# at the get-go. No way was I giving that. Hubby was on his computer checking out companies, I was checking out companies. Finally he found Sam Health. He had been on line reading his latest blood test results via his personal MyChart through Samaritan Health Services. When he noticed a tab on the sign-in page about Medicare. That led him to the the Advantage Health HMO information. He filled out just enough to get to the Want us to call you? part. 20 minutes later they called me, and for 2 hours this very nice *in-the-know* young woman explained everything to me. She was patient, and never got surly with me as I asked about the same thing several times. She mailed me the application form (two copies in case I messed one up - they won't accept any that have been whited out), and all the literature about the program. Got that two days later.

I still had four days to the cut off to apply. So, Hubby and I read it through, and I mean READ IT THROUGH. Then because we could apply by phone, that is what I did. I put her on speaker phone and applied. I was transferred to two other departments, as part of the application process. They did this to insure I totally understood what was going on and what I was getting. 2 hours and 45 minutes later I was done with the application. It became effective 1 Aug 2017. My insurance through Cigna including the Rx coverage through MedImpact expired 1 July 2017. Fortunately for me I hadn't seen any of my Dr's or refilled any Rx during that month. I do need to call and find out what needs to be done prior to my getting more of my Rx. THAT is not very clear to me. For 14 years I have been getting all of my Rx through Walgreen's. So need to find out what pharmacies I can or have to use.

I never realized how easy having Cigna & MedImpact was. I was just handed my cards by Hubby, and all else was done by the Dr's. pharmacy and Hubby.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2017, 11:51:16 pm »
So glad you got it all sorted out, Iggy, and hurrah for that nice young woman. :)

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 12:37:18 am »
Went to the Rheumatologist today. (He is a member of the church I discovered  :D ) He suspects that I have polymyalgia rheumatica. He prescribed predniSONE -10 mg to start. If I don't feel a marked improvement in 3-4 days to message him via Samaritan Health MyPage and he may increase the dosage. I was cautioned that this will increase my sugars - good thing I am seeing my Diabetic NP next Monday - this will give us even more to discuss. I start the predniSONE tomorrow w/breakfast.

Tomorrow I see my PA - to go over my last blood workup, and for me to bring up a few other things. Need to go through my Rx's and see if any need refilling. Since I now have Samaritan Advantage for my Rx - will have to have new prescriptions sent to the Fred Meyer's in Newport. 

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:17 am »
Had my follow up with my PA regarding the latest blood test work-up. All my tests that should have gone down did [A1C's down by 1.8], those that needed to come up did. He is happy with my weight loss. Slowly, a few pounds here, a few pounds there.

I am his first patient to see this particular Rheumatologist and he wanted to know how the visit went. Beyond well. The Dr listened to me, and after witnessing my glassy eyed blank look at his use of the *medical* name ~ polymyalgia rheumatica, he referred to it as PMR. He was clear, concise and related to me the reasons he felt that what I was experiencing PMR and the treatment. From what the PA related, the Dr was clear, concise and detailed in his written report to my Medical/Diabetic Team too.

Told my PA that I easily understood the Dr, and all of my questions were answered without me feeling like I was an imbecile for asking.
~ ~note ~ ~ one of the reasons I left the last Dr was he repeatedly made me feel like an imbecile for asking questions regarding my health treatments. He actually told me that "Women need not worry themselves over that - He was the Dr, pay attention"

We changed some of my prescriptions due to insurance reasons. Because there wasn't any difference in the effects of the medications by going to generic, or in one case going to a product down the Tier group - these changes will cost me less in co-pay. He also wants me to get my Rx in 3 month amounts - resulting in reducing the chance of running out each month. Since taking my SS early for the sole purpose of paying for the increase in prescription co-pay, this really will not be a financial hindrance. I just wish Samaritan Pacific Hospital's Pharmacy were open to the public - getting ALL of my prescriptions through them would cost less to my insurance carrier. I would still pay the same co-pay, but the insurance carrier would pay significantly less.

Another thing Husband and I have decided to do is NOT allow ClassicSleepCare to send each of us new: Comfort Mask, Hose, Head gear every three months. Just because Medicare pays for it doesn't mean we need them. By properly cleaning them each week, and insuring that the hose is not bent, twisted and draped over or dragged over sharp edges, these parts can last for years. All we need to change out each month are the filters. Thus we need an extra one or two because the filters are also easily washed. BUT to insure they are dry when used again, letting them 'rest' & 'dry' for a month is best.

I have three extra filters. They are rather small so I am extremely careful with them. I wash them with my Dr. Bonner's liquid soap diluted down to 12-1 parts and use my fingertips to clean it. Then I pat dry with a soft wash cloth and let it sit out on my jewelry case to dry.

Every three months I take my machine w/all the accessories in to my Sleep Care PA - he makes sure I am in "Compliance" ie: sleeping a minimum of 4 hours a night [I average 7], that the mask, hose, etc. are clean and free of holes, cracks, build-up and *bugs*.

* * * Stopped at the local Appliance dealer - - they have a side by side freezer w/ice & water dispenser for $1,199.00. For $100.00 they deliver, install/set-up AND remove the old appliance. In talking with the wife she said that if it is just the ice maker that is having starts and fits, that can easily be replaced for less than $200.00.

I didn't tell her that the shelf that the vegetable bins slide under is broken - it took me hours to get it back in place the last time I cleaned the inside of the fridge - and that there is no getting it together if it ever comes apart again. The bins are not sliding in - they just set below. Also, the glass shelves are not bonded to the parts that hold them in the fridge. Never have been, so if anything spills, then they must all come out, come apart to be thoroughly cleaned.

Having a side opening freezer would give me more room for food. The shelves are adjustable too. Same with the fridge shelves - LOTS of spaces to adjust. The door shelves are molded solid and easily come out to clean! Their 23 cubic appliance is only 33 inches WIDE - Will easily fit. Won't have to move the range/stove over.

Now to go get a brochure from her so I can show the Hubs. Oh, and the black one doesn't cost $100.00 more than the white one.

Today was a good day.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

* Top Posters

Curelom
1010 Posts
Roper Roper
838 Posts
dyany dyany
695 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
571 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl