Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Iggy's Ramblings  (Read 20519 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Iggy's Ramblings
« Reply #225 on: November 24, 2019, 12:30:54 am »
I finally cooked that Turdunken that Husband's brother & sis-in-law gave us for Christmas 5 years ago. Cajun flavored with corn bread stuffing. More like corn meal mush injected throughout it. Yech! Took 6 days to thaw in the fridge. Put it into my electric roaster and 3 hours later it was done. Didn't smell half bad, so I took a taste of the turkey. Too spicy for me. And that corn meal stuffing looked and smelled horrible. Hubby likes it. So he can eat it for the next week for lunch and dinners.
Hmmm, maybe cuz it was all 5 years old?  ;D

Come up to the Cabin for Thanksgiving. I am ordering a Cajun deep-fried turkey & I'll make black-eyed peas, grits, collard greens, & corn. Maybe folks will want to do a potluck & bring other sides. Apple-cranberry dressing, cornbread sausage dressing, coleslaw, fried okra, or hush puppies would be good. Laurie is bringing apple & pumpkin pies.

We'll invite all the Incabitants, Porchupines, & other Nauvoodles to come any time after about noon,have dinner, hang out & socialize. Anyone who wishes can join us about 4:00, just before sunset, to go up the hill & help find our Cabin Christmas trees.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2019, 02:30:57 am »
For three Christmas's in a row, Bro & Si-in-law sent us Cajun Turdunken. That corn meal dressing is mush. Not because it was 5 years old. Because this one was 5 years old I cooked it on it's breast for the first 1.5 hours then turned it over for the last 1.5 hours. It was moist and hubs loved it. I still hate it. I love corn BREAD dressing. NOT mush.

Well I'll bring scalloped oysters, sage-n-celery dressing, sweet gherkins, dill pickles, watermelon rind pickles, crab-apple pickles, green & wax beans. Deep dish pumpkin pie - I am including my Grandma Goldie's receipt, it is light and not heavy like the store bought pies. I always called it Chiffon Pumpkin Pie. Apple spice, cherry, and lemon meringue pies.

Grandma Goldie's Pumpkin Pie
3 Eggs
Beat until thick and lemon colored. Add:
1 scant cup granulated sugar
1 cup pumpkin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cloves

Mix well with beater until sugar is dissolved. Add 1 more cup whole milk and mix well again. Pour into a 9 inch deep dish unbaked pie shell. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degreed and bake for 50 minutes until knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Recipe for scalloped oysters.
1 pint small East Coast Oysters cleaned of the black, and cut into bits, keep the liquid
1 egg plus milk to equal 1 cup
Cracker crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Layer in 1 or 1.5 quart casserole with cracker crumbs (enough to cover each layer of oysters. It will probably take 1.5 to 2 cups) Season with salt and pepper. Remember the crackers are salted so go easy with the extra salt. In a small bowl beat the 1 egg until light then add to a 1 cup measuring cup, add whole milk to make one cup. Transfer back to the small bowl and beat well. Add to oysters and crumb mixture by pouring over the back off a large spoon. Stir a little with a fork to let the milk down into the oyster mixture. If necessary add more whole milk so that it is quite moist, so when you press down lightly on the top with a fork the milk will appear. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Should rise up in middle and brown lightly around the edges.

The recipe doesn't call to grease the casserole dish, but my Mom always did with real butter. Also, just before pouring the milk & egg into the dish, drizzle the oyster liquid all over it.Mom called it nectar. Never toss the nectar. I have used medium and large oysters in the jars, using a grapefruit spoon scooped out the black and then cut the oyster into small bits - don't know why Mom wrote small East Coast - maybe because she was living in South Dakota and they were the best available. When we lived in Seattle, she bought the local brand. but always in the jars.

This was our traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2019, 01:41:34 pm »
Good Grief, this is one quiet and lonely place lately. No posts in a loooooong time anywhere on Nauvoo.

Our Thanksgiving at Iggy's House was quiet, had Spiral Honey Maple Ham, scalloped potatoes. Step Son called his Pop and talked with him for over 2 hours. They [S-Son & S-DIL] stayed home and had a very quiet and peaceful Thanksgiving too. He said they both agreed they were tired of and had their fill of all the family Drama - her family drama. S-DIL invited her father, and only her father [mother has passed away] and not her sisters-n-families or her brother-n-family to spend Christmas with them.

We met her parents when we were there for Thanksgiving a while back. Really nice people.

Fall has finally arrived here on the Central Oregon Coast. It is a mild fall and barely wet. It does rain nearly every evening. Late, late evening that is. So it is wet in the morning, but no puddles to speak of. Right now, it is 9:50 AM PST,it is raining. Not big pregnant drops of rain, but not tiny stinging drops either.

Today is trash pick-up day. It is also the week that the recycling is picked up. The lid to my recycling bin is open. That's ok the rain will wash it out.

In my neck of the woods winter is pretty much the same as fall with the exception of the deciduous trees, they have no leaves left on them. Me thinks this is going to be a mild & warmer winter. Unless it rains most of the time there are those who will be without water come spring and summer. The snow melt off in the mountains supplies some of us with our well water.

Saw my Rheumatologist on the 3rd. Because I am having pain in my right shoulder AND my joint pains increase 4 to 5 days after my dose of methotrexate, he has increased the dosage and changed the times I take it. Take 4 pills on Tues w/dinner and 4 pills on Wed with breakfast. After 3 months we will see how I am feeling. I also get a headache on Tues morning. Bleh - this morning I have all over body aches.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2019, 09:47:15 am »
Methotrexate was one of the drugs I tried for my Psoriatic Arthritis that actually worked. However, it affected my liver. Eventually I ended up using adalimumab - which is actually biological. Absolutely changed my life. No active joints and removed ALL my skin psoriasis. One injection, into my belly, every two weeks.

Hope you find relief.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2019, 04:29:49 pm »
Methotrexate was one of the drugs I tried for my Psoriatic Arthritis that actually worked. However, it affected my liver. Eventually I ended up using adalimumab - which is actually biological. Absolutely changed my life. No active joints and removed ALL my skin psoriasis. One injection, into my belly, every two weeks.

Hope you find relief.

Yeah, I do too. The thing is, I finally told my PC that I just could not endure the hip, knee and arm pains. The pain had increased from a dull ache to unbearable in about 20 years. Not being able to get out of a bathtub from the soothing hot water soak was a factor too.

Took about 3 months of tests before I was put on prednisone. WOW, loved that stuff! Within 3 days not only was my complaint pain gone, but my skin to the bones didn't hurt either. All over skin to bones pain that I never knew was there except when I was sick. From the time I was a toddler, when I was sick, my skin hurt. Even 100% cotton sheets - well worn, soft sheets - hurt, so I was pretty much naked during illnesses.

After a year and a half of prednisone [10 mg tapered down to 1 mg], my arthritis morphed to Seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis. ]Every three months my blood tests show my liver & kidneys are good.

An eye opener for me was this last trip to the Rheumatologist, a drive of 70 miles one way, is that flexing my hands to keep them from becoming *dead* from pain of being held on the steering wheel for that long, helped to reduce the joint pains. I had forgotten my compression gloves that trip - so flexing was my only relief. BUT the relief was long lasting. I didn't have to flex on the way home. Hands didn't hurt.

You know AndrewR, my Mom, 3 older siblings and 2 younger siblings have psoriasis over their entire body. I don't. Mom's Mom & Dad didn't, nor did her two brothers. Daddy and his entire family didn't either. Grandma had Rheumatoid Arthritis. My little brother has no original hip, knee or ankle joints any more due to them disintegrating. His hips went at the ripe old age of 14. His voice hadn't even deepened yet!

My two older sisters went through years of various testing programs by the US medical field to find cures, relief, etc. for psoriasis. Some of the stuff was sulpher based. One was tar looking and smelling. Then my little sister underwent one test. Ended up making hers 100% worse. The only relief she found was a topical mixture of aloe vera & vit E oil. It wasn't a medical doctor who had her use the topical mixture but an old Sioux Indian Medicine Woman. Took it maybe two days to reduce the thick, hard painful scales, then several months to get it back to what it had been. That poor girl, she was only 16 and she and Mom were told it was a proven cure. Too bad my Mom absolutely did NOT believe in suing the medical profession for negligence.

When puberty set in with my little brother, so did the massive body hair, psoriasis and the receding head hair. He found that aloe vera gel added to his baby shampoo, and baby wash [the only soaps that didn't make him itch] kept his down to just pink patches. Every one in the family had to use different things to keep theirs under control - - meaning no flaky, itching, often hurting patches. Eldest sister took Vit A and bathed twice a day in tepid water using Ivory soap. Next elder sister took vit B complex and did a full body bath once a week, and cleaned the *stinky* parts twice a day. Oldest brother had the best results from the sulpha ointment. My Mom used a concoction that the Medicine Woman made up for her. It worked best about an hour before her morning bath, sprayed it all over her patches, wait, then bathe. She loved Castile Soap, it is mild and rinses off easily.

There was about two years when I was still in elementary school when my Uncle 'salvaged' two crates of military brown lye soup and we only had that to use. Everyone's psoriasis reduced down to just pink spots. That stuff lasted for what seemed like an eternity. Never got soft like Ivory, lasted longer than the Castile. Smelled awful, but man sakes alive did it clean. Grandma grated it and added it to a pot of boiling water to use in the washing machine. Thank heavens we didn't have an electric dryer - hanging those clothes out on the line removed the smell and made them smell "Out door fresh". :) 

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2019, 02:00:38 am »
Skin hurting to the bone is something that affects me as well, although not so much anymore. I think, for me, itís a part of my sensory processing disorders, which is, of course, a part of my EDS. There have been many times when I canít have anything touch me. For me, methyl B12 seems to have done the trick.

Point being I commiserate with you. Itís not fun.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

* Recent Posts

Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition by Jana at Jade House
[Today at 05:51:57 am]

Re: Change In Ceremonial Temple Clothing by mosquito
[Today at 05:38:52 am]

Re: Change In Ceremonial Temple Clothing by Jana at Jade House
[Today at 05:35:38 am]

Re: Your favorite Rush Albums by JLM
[Today at 01:05:57 am]

Your favorite Rush Albums by Roper
[January 24, 2020, 11:01:34 pm]