Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Iggy's Ramblings  (Read 19737 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
Re: Iggy's Ramblings
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2019, 11:59:33 am »
Hubby went with me to the Rheumatologist, we got to the Dizzy Hen at 12:25 PM. I was surprised by the gaggle of old men sitting at the back eating lunch together.

The menu is chock full of nouveau meals. I knew that Hubby wouldn't eat 3/4's of what was offered, but they did have a mushroom, swiss cheese hamburger. Mushrooms are portabellas, the swiss is REAL swiss with the holes in the slices and the hamburger is from beef raised by the local college. Oh, if only they grilled it in a way that the fat drained off during the cooking then I would have had that.

They did however have a sliced pork loin sandwich with red cabbage slaw rather than lettuce on it, red onions and a house special sauce on it, on a house made ciabatta buns, with house cut home fries. We both had that, and we both loved it!

We both want to try their breakfasts - which they serve from 6 - 11 AM. Every thing they serve is locally grown, organic, NON-gmo. Their herbs are from their own backyard. So the mint leaves in our lemonades were fresh, fresh and better than what I get at Fred Meyer. Mmmmmm.

Our fall is here. Bleh. Only half of the siding job is done. New T-1-11 on up to the back door - but not primed or painted! It rained Sunday - all day through to Monday afternoon when it cleared up AND warmed up from 60"s to the high 70's. Rained last night with high winds, and is raining now at 8:30 am.

We got rather pleasant surprises when the old, rotted & mushy at the bottom T-1-11 came off. Maybe a 3" strip of mold on one spot, no wetness at all on the insulation. The only wood rot was on the left bottom corner of the kitchen window. My contractor dug it out and reinforced it with a 6" chunk of 2x4. The only other problem was the metal plates that are put on the 2x6's where there are holes drilled for the wiring to go through. Those were rusted through. So they were replaced by stainless steel ones that were an inch or so longer. All the nails and screws used are stainless - no galvanized used anymore.

The hot dipped galvanized nails have the galvanizing knocked off the heads when they are pounded in, and end up rusting from the head of the nail through the middle of the nail. Not good. So, don't know what my contractor is going to do in this rain.

At least I had the forethought to buy an 8x10 tarp to put the sheets of T-1-11 on and wrap up in. Also have a 6x8 tarp if it is needed.

We have wasps nesting in the siding on the north side of the house. Think I need to get two more cans of wasp killing foam spray. Too bad it wasn't cold enough through the nights to have Step Son go out and spray them at night. Don't know if the gardener will do it at night when it is the coldest. Around here 55 is about as cold as it will get this time of year. I want to get spray killer, not just the foam spray. Or I could call the Pest Eliminators and have them do it.

Well it 8:59 AM and she, my contractor, will be here soon. Time to close this out.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2019, 01:05:42 am »
September 24, 2019 9:44 PM PDT

The siding is done, contractor scrubbed the ramp, railings with deck cleaner - aka Super Dooper Bleach!! [yeah I know it is misspelled, did that on purpose] She will remove the hand rail on the ramp railing and rip it down it's length by 1/3 the width. Then sand it, the railing posts, porch posts, fascia, the new hand railings [those that are made for hand rails], prime everything and paint as much as possible.

They [herself and her son] will then remove the master bathroom window to see if there is any rot, replace it properly, then do the trim around it.

Before she scrubbed w/bleach, she put in the new dryer vent. The one I got is 3x bigger than the old one. It is In Your Face big - love it! Think I will keep it white rather than paint it with the railings color of Blackwood. Oh, I have to go out in the morning and take pictures!

My housekeeper is sick. Miserable sick. My kitchen was in dire need of an able body person to clean it and put it back in order. So I had the gal who helped my contractor come and do the work. Put away clean, load dishwasher, wash up the hand washables, sweep floors, vacuum all the carpeted areas and then help me with my king bed. Remove the bedding, put on the clean bedding.

For reasons known only to Heavenly Father after we got the bed made, I sat down on it and bawled my eyes out. She sat next to me and held me. She said her Grandma does the same thing - and she doesn't know why either. Thank God this 19 yo Young Woman is blessed with compassion and giving.

I'll not replace my housekeeper with the 19 yo - but it is good to know I have yet another pair of helping hands to rely on, as long as she is not working at another job.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, Sparky

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2019, 06:18:47 pm »
The siding/rail/handrail work is completed. There were a few minor alterations. Discovered the porch wood was nearly rotted through! Used the old 2x6 hand rail to replace the rotted out boards. Thus we bought real wood hand rails and stainless rail holders.

The contractor had to replace an end piece of the porch roof. Now that it is painted, it doesn't look repaired! The porch floor and the rail spines are all the same color. Amazing colors, amazing work.

The contractor and I put up the 72 feet of rope lights. For the time being, they are on 24\7. When I am in a more limber state I will change the timer to DuskToDawn.

I resized a few photos to give you all a glimpse of the finished work.
The kitchen window-hand railing-siding shows all of the colors. Initially the ramp railing colors were to be reversed w/ the color Iron Ore for the rails and Blackwood for the handrail. But with the suggestion from her son, I switched it to Evening Shadow [house color] for the rails and Blackwood for the handrail.

The old rope lights were working when they were removed, but when I plugged them in to test them, only 1/8th worked so I removed the fuses from the plug end to save them and tossed em in the trash. Fortunately I had more than enough new [bought last year in the after Christmas sale] rope lights.

Now I am eager for Spring, when the rest of the house will be resided.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Sparky

Sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2019, 07:52:50 pm »
Iggy, it all looks very nice!

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2019, 01:39:03 am »
Looks good!

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2019, 05:58:34 am »
Iggy, that looks great!
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2019, 02:38:54 pm »
The south side is done as well as that porch. The cleanup inside is not. Because we were over $2,000.00 over budget I told my contractor I would do the cleaning.

Using Goo Gone to remove the glue from around the two windows and then clean out the faux garden tub of the dirt, leaves and wood debris and putting the curtains back up. I figured I had it. Well, I didn't and don't.

I offered the job to the gal who helped my contractor - but I told her that I would be paying her $15.00 and hour not $25.00. Betwixt you all and me, she is not a $25.00 an hour worker, she actually is a $6.00 an hour worker ~ but I know that she needs the money as she is living out of her car most nights and with a 60 yr old man on other nights.

She turned me down. My housekeeper is too short and has acrophobia just as I do.

2.25 months after the installation of my track lights and two bulbs are dead! For crying out loud! If I can't find BR20,  track light bulbs locally guess I will have to order them through Amazon.

Guess I should iron the bathroom curtains, paint the two shelves that go over the kitchen sink and in front of the window, then mark where I want the new curtains to go over the kitchen window - then ask one of three women at church to help me.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2019, 12:59:00 pm »
I finally cooked that Turdunken that Husband's brother & sis-in-law gave us for Christmas 5 years ago. Cajun flavored with corn bread stuffing. More like corn meal mush injected throughout it. Yech! Took 6 days to thaw in the fridge. Put it into my electric roaster and 3 hours later it was done. Didn't smell half bad, so I took a taste of the turkey. Too spicy for me. And that corn meal stuffing looked and smelled horrible. Hubby likes it. So he can eat it for the next week for lunch and dinners.

Two days ago we had a real Rip Snorter of a storm hit and pass through. Gale force winds out of the south and east. Twisted a branch of our neighbors tree and dropped it just inches from her car and from the handicap ramp of the house across the road. Thankfully the neighbor across the road wasn't home otherwise their van would have been smashed.

Late afternoon yesterday the neighbor with the tree had some logging friends come over to take the tree down. It came down all right, the tree parts twisted and dropped away from the homes. Strangest tree I have ever seen.

We live in a manufactured/mobile home park. Since only one home out of the 9 here are still owned by the original owners, all the trees planted by the original home owners now belong to and are the responsibility of the land owner. Had that tree destroyed a home or car, it would be the land owner who would pay to fix or replace the damage.

This neighbor is new, recently bought the house about 6 months ago and has been clearing out the overgrown and neglected rhodies, apple, pear trees and blackberry [city labels the blackberry as Noxious Weeds]. Plus the 4 large trailer loads of trash/garbage/defunct appliances that the previous owner never removed. Oh and the two large trailer loads of recyclable junk taken to the dump and the one where the junk man came and took. Metals, two cars, etc.

It is sunny, calm and a balmy 46 degrees F. I should get my long pants and jacket on and take pictures of what is left of that tree.  ~ Later ~

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2019, 03:21:59 pm »
The pictures of the fallen tree.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2019, 03:23:43 pm »
The first two are of the *branch* that came down first. At least 1/4th of the branch. The third is as far as I could walk to show where the tree landed in the vacant two lots next to it.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2019, 03:31:20 pm »
Pic 0214  ~ where the red line is, that is where the *branch* ripped from. 0216 where it is circled in red, also where the *branch* ripped from. 0217 shows the branches from the rotted out portion of the trunk. There were about three *branches* that twisted off when they first cut into the trunk. They got those pieces out and cut up smaller so they could topple the rest of the tree.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2019, 04:26:08 pm »
Thanks for the photos. Nice to see some blue sky, not so much of that around here. And if there was arriving at work before sunrise, and leaving after (still there at 21:25 UK time) doesn't give much time to see the sky.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2019, 04:54:54 am »
That is a heckuva branch. Wow!
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2019, 10:02:08 am »
It was a heckuva tree! The next time I see them out and about I'll ask them what kind it is/was.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2019, 12:13:59 am »
On 23 Nov 1963 President Kennedy was assassinated. 5 days later on Thanksgiving morning my little sister Karen Louise Nygaard [Sept 8 1953 - Nov 28 1963]passed away from a brain tumor.

It has been 56 Thanksgivings ago. It took nearly a decade of thanksgivings for me to see them in gratitude and true thanksgiving, rather than as a holiday that my little sister no longer would be with us.

Christmas' were really hard too. As were her birthdays. Easters, Halloween, our siblings birthdays, Mom & Dad's birthdays and wedding anniversaries.

Karen brought a lot to the table in our home. She and I fought like most siblings do. She was a *dirty* fighter too ~ she would get me pinned down and then tickle me until I wet my pants. 😷

I once heard Mom telling the neighbor that Arna and Karen were like two peas in the same pod. We would finish each others sentences, we were always together -arm in arm. She loved pedal pushers and I loathed them. Karen would initiate playing with others and if the little kid next door wanted our toys, she would just give it to them! I would run to Mom so she could get it back, and Mom would say - Give it time, they will put the toy down and then you can get it back. Karen instinctively knew this - how? She was 15 months younger than me, so how did she gain this knowledge?

Karen also knew that she would die. After her brain surgery, she talked about Jesus and the Angels that were always surrounding Him and us. I was too young to understand that she was trying to ease the road for me, us. She was saying goodbye and doing her level best as a loving10 year old to let me, us, know that she was going to be okay. That she was going to be living with Jesus and Heavenly Father and all the Greats and Grands.

The hole in my universe that ripped open the day she passed away is still there. For years and years I never thought the rawness would ease up. It has. Don't know exactly when the jaggedness smoothed out but it has. 56 years later it is a hole, a smoothed edged hole.

In those 56 years there have been so many more of my family members who have passed away. They are there with Karen and the Greats, Grands, family members, Jesus and Heavenly Father.

Karen was 10 when she passed. The proxy ordinances of baptism, confirmation, and sealing to our parents have been done. In June of 2001 I was sealed to our parents. The eternal link to my little sister and all my kindred dead is solid and it is now my responsibility to live my life in accordance to the gospel and obey the covenants I made with Heavenly Father and I will be joined with my eternal family.

On all of these holidays the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation brings me peace.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, palmetto_gal

* Top Posters

Curelom
1679 Posts
Roper Roper
1569 Posts
dyany dyany
980 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
841 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
680 Posts