Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Iggy's Ramblings  (Read 16762 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
Re: Iggy's Ramblings
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2019, 10:15:03 am »
Well Friday was the official last day of school for our County. That was also the start of our towns annual festival. Beachcomber Weekend.

This year they really scrambled to get a committee together to put together the festival. Generally they start the Monday after, but they didn't get a committee together until two months ago. Consequently the normal parade participates from across the state didn't get invited/signed on. BUT the locals were involved way, way more than ever before.

They also invited and encouraged the local market vendors to come and set up their wares. So, the markets from Depoe Bay, Lincoln City, Siletz, Toledo, Newport, Yachats as well as Waldport were all here.

As usual, I avoided the festivities. Had more than enough of the Beachcomber Weekend crap when I owned my Tavern and later when I worked retail. The customer - both local, visitors and tourists left their common sense and good manners at home.

These last 4-6 years there has been a marked decrease in alcohol filled booths/ gardens due to the fact that over half of the bars & taverns have gone out of business. Or so I have been told. Also, the beer gardens can no longer allow their customers to leave the fenced in area with an open drink. Makes it so much nicer when there aren't drunks staggering around with an open drink in each hand.

So, maybe, next year I will venture out and watch the parade on Saturday, then walk around and see who is who and what is what.

Hubby and I dragged ourselves out of the house, dressed and ready for church regardless of the pain we both were in. Got there 15 minutes before Branch Council was to start, and not a soul there. I called our Branch President and he said that an email was sent out saying no Branch Council due to Father's Day. Well Hubby didn't get the email, not until noon on Sunday. No way were we sitting in our car for an hour. If we went home to wait, we were staying home. So, we went out to breakfast. Hubby called his first counselor and passed the wand to him to direct Teacher Council.

When we got home, Hubby checked his email - still no letter from the Branch. Finally at noon it came in. This happens way too often, why wasn't that email sent the Sunday before - while the clerk was waiting for his wife to finish practicing with the choir? It was decided during that Sundays Branch Council - at least Hubby thinks it was - if he could only have heard what everyone was commenting on, they all mumble way too much.

Better yet, if Hubby would set up an email account strictly for church related emails and give me access to it. I'll check and let him know what is happening and when. Yeah that - time to change my email address with the branch/stake/church too. I have one that is/was for my calling as Temple & Family History Consultant, only no one uses it.  ::) 

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2019, 01:59:20 pm »
I changed my email address with the church - also notified all the other T&FHC of my email change as well as the EQ1stC.

Hubby won't set up a Church only email account, sigh

For many months I have had short, short term memory losses. Really bothers me, and scares Hubby. Oh, I haven't forgotten how to drive a car, or how to get anywhere. Nor have I forgotten how to to use any of the household appliances.

If I don't sit on a stool in the doorway of the kitchen [no where else to sit in the kitchen] I forget that there ar pots on hot burners, or food cooking in the hot oven - no longer hear the timer.  :(

I told my Diabetic RN about this and she said: Let's rule out LOW blood sugars. So, I wore that FreeStyle Libra Pro Sensor button for two weeks. I made a real effort to write down nearly everything. Hubby had to remind me a lot of the time, and I made sure that I made note of that fact.

Well, I only had 5 instances of low blood sugars for the two weeks. Remember that this button registers my sugar levels every 5 MINUTES. The low levels were around 11PM or 5AM, and once on a Sunday at 3PM, which was just before we ate, and yes it was low - 52 is DANG low.

So now I have to repeat my concerns to my PC, have him converse with my Diabetic RN, and see if he can't figure out what is going on. NO one in my family - either side - ever suffered from dementia of any form. They all passed away from cancers, heart attacks, complications brought on by neglecting their diabetes. All were still sharp witted and in full control of their minds.

Hubby will have to go in with me, armed with a written account of what has been happening to me.

My RN suggested that I start documenting my lapses - well have Hubby do it - on my BLOOD - GLUCOSE - FOOD log.

Okay, enough of this Pity Me Party.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2019, 12:55:01 pm »
Made it through the fourth of July celebrations. Two days of official fireworks which means two days of people driving like nincompoops going and coming from firework displays put on my the four cities in my area. We stay home, and for the 4th year in a row our close neighbors didn't set of fireworks, yeah!!

MY city's community FB page has been super busy with Have you seen my cat(s), dog(s), other critters? because I was too stupid to leave them in my home. Also it has been filled with pictures of Good Citizens along with their children showing all the crap, garbage, clothes, car keys they cleaned up from a tiny, tiny section of beach- one wheel barrow full. Along with pictures of fires they had to completely put out with water because the nincompoops only used sand. Thank the Good Lord our town has these wonderful Good Citizens [who are also teaching their children] who go out and clean up our beaches.

What was super strange was we could hear the fireworks from the town 25 miles to the north of us, but not the fireworks in our own & the town just to the south of us. Both nights were clear skies, nearly no wind and super, super low tides. Our town and the little town to the south of us had fireworks on the same night. I live 2 miles up the Alsea River. Each town is along the coast - my town is 2 miles from me, the other is 8 miles as the sea lion travels in the water. I am on a hill - just a 1/16th of a mile from my house is the helicopter landing for rescue pickup/drop off of supplies in case of a Tsunami. 

What is really fun is once a year the local fire departments run emergency tsunami runs. There are three private people who own helicopters who offer them up for non-water emergencies. They come to these Tsunami landing sites, say hello to the home owners/renters then head back to the staging area in town. When this happens, the feral cats that inhabit this area go ape-poo-nuts. Just across the 'street' from me is an abandon trailer house, and they all dash to get under it. THAT would be the perfect opportunity for the local cat rescue and animal control people to set out humane traps, catch these cats and then make sure they are ALL spayed & neutered. Then either keep them for a week or two in the hopes they will get adopted, before turning them loose again.

For some reason we no longer have feral dogs around here. We have seen an increase of bear, racoon, deer [does, fawns AND bucks], cougar [rather close to town AND nearly all of the summer RV/autumn fishing camps]. My gardener had to scoop bear scat up before he went over the piles with the lawn mower. THAT is the Number One reason I do NOT take my garbage, recycling out after dark. It is the Number Two reason I sprinkle some Moth flakes into the trash after I deposit bags. The smell is repellent to bears - they avoid the cans/bins that have it in them, as do raccoons & felines.

The weather hasn't been unbearably hot lately. By 5 pm, the setting sun is beating down on our living room windows/wall and heating that room up. But the temperature really isn't that hot - like 74 of lower. There is usually a wind coming from the NW - blows past our front porch and gets my 5 wind chimes going. I close the black out curtains, leave the windows open [less glass for the sun to heat up], open the front door and turn on the oscillating fan to bring in the cooler air. 

The window in the master bedroom at the eastern side of the house is bathed in shade, so it has been open with another oscillating fan bringing in the cooler air.

Unfortunately all of the windows and the side exit door on the south side of the house have to remain closed as that is adjacent to the house with the three adult pit bulls, and the young couple w/5 year old boy and Granny of undetermined age who live there and Do Not Pick Up the Poop. It is a City Ordinance that ALL dog poop must be scooped and disposed of properly whether you are walking your dog or if they use a fenced in yard to poop in. Can no longer complain to the Landowner - he passed away 11 June 2019 - and we, his lot tenants, have not been notified of who is in charge/owns the land. Guess it is time to send an email to the City complaining of the offensive smell. I did that several years ago and the city notified the landowner, then when he didn't comply they hit him with the threat of jail time &/or fines. Oh, they are also using their male dog as a Stud. Granny goes and picks up the bitches, turns all the dogs loose in the yard and lets them have at it.

It apparently is a lucrative business as young couple each have a relatively new SUV. Granny still is driving the dilapidated small pickup.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2019, 03:08:45 pm »
May I suggest you get app like Otter or Audio Note, and record your meetings with medical people and others when you have to remember them.   Otter automaticly transcribes.  Audio Note can transcribe.

And if I recall, you were having trouble sleeping.  That can affect memory (and most body processes) too.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2019, 05:51:02 pm »
Go to a neurologist.
Last year I had extreme cognitive decline. It turned out that it was a reaction to a drug I was taking. Check out all the common and rare reactions to the medications you are taking. There is an article in the July/August issue of Discover Magazine called It's Not Over Yet. It is about a man diagnosed with advanced Parkinson's and dementia. Turns out that the problem was the interaction between all the drugs he had been prescribed for various ailments.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 06, 2019, 09:35:25 pm »
I have an account with WebMD and update my med reaction list often. Then I read ALL of the inter-actions, good and bad.

My Endocrinologist AND my PC check the medication interactions also. I am also informed of the possible side effects of meds at my quarterly meetings with my PC, Endocrinologist and my Rheumatologist. That is why I get full blood and urine tests every three months. Not just for my A1c's, but for so many more things. All of my visits are typed up in an After Visit Summary which is given to me before I leave the office AND also posted to my online My Chart that is through the Samaritan Hospital.

Husband and I have noticed that when my blood sugars are closer to normal, my memory is also AND when I take my medications every 6 hours rather than just before meals - my memory is closer to normal.

The only two medications that MUST be taken on an empty stomach is my thyroid and my arthritis meds. All the rest can be taken with or without foods. Thus, they get broken down to where those that interact with others are spaced a minimum of 6 hours to 12 hours. AND there are three that work best while I sleep, so they are taken just before bedtime.

Thank goodness I have a pill box - 4 rows of 7 boxes across and 4 boxes down. Sun through Sat, AM. Noon, Dinner and Bed. Except for me it is AM= waking; Noon = 6 hours later, Dinner = 6 hours later and Bed is just before bed.

Wed through Mon I take 27 pills. On Tue I take 32. The majority of them are over the counter. Flaxseed oil, antihistamine, 81 mg aspirin, multivitamin, b12, magnesium, d3, tart cherry, cinnamon, biotin, turmeric, just off the top of my head.

It is amazing that I take so many. As a child all Mom could get me to take was Children's Bayer. Then as a teen and being laid so low by migraines, it was up to 8 adult aspirins. At age 30 I was prescribed over the counter antihistamines to dry up my inner ears. I still take them and they still work. Then at age 54 I received regular Dr care and the pills started. Not to mention the insulin's.

I'm not complaining or bragging - just relating facts. I also will now eat green peas, the small ones where as a child I flat refused and willing accepted the punishment for NOT eating them. Oh and lima beans, and butter beans made into soups though. Still won't eat liver of any sort, or okra and I have yet to find a recipe that makes eggplant edible.

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2019, 09:35:46 pm »
You're not taking Benadryl, Dramamine, or anything else for sleep issues or allergies or motion sickness, are you?

My mom is 82, with a host of ailments including diabetes and early-mid stage dementia. A few weeks ago she had an allergic reaction to an antihistamine and the pharmacist gave her Benadryl. What followed was a shocking cognitive and physical decline. She was barely lucid and could no longer get around or bathroom herself. It took 3 of us to keep her safe and clean. Times when my sisters and I couldn't be there (adult niece and husband live with her) she snuck off and fell. Twice in the shower and poor nephew had to get her up. We had to be there 24/7 after that. Anyway, I called her doctor and he said that the elderly should never, ever take those medications. After a few days it was out of her system, and she's been back to normal. (Better even, which my niece credits to Mom hearing us talk about putting her in a facility if things didn't improve, which makes us wonder how much she's been putting on... but that's another thread.)

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2019, 01:26:39 pm »
I take either Equate (Walmart) or Wal-itin (Walgreens) or Kroger non-drowsy 10 MG Loratadine , depending on which is on sale for the cheapest,  in the morning and those brand 25 MG [drowsy kind] at bed time. I have been taking these since forever.

When I was first diagnosed with an allergy that caused my inner ears to fill with fluid and put on antihistamine, it was Chlor trimeton. That was a bit spendy, but it worked. Then after about 5 years it quit working and I went to Benadryl. THAT was just way too spendy, so I went to store brands.

Before any of my Dr's change any of my medications they always double check for interactions. So do I, right there in the examining room.

I would never follow what the Pharmacist said to do unless it agreed with what my Dr said to do. I have been led down the wrong road as well as my Mom, by pharmacists before.  Benadryl is an antihistamine, so your Mom is taking an aggravated dose. What did her Dr tell her to do??  There are non-drowsy versions of all of the antihistamines, and if you have allergy's, then you need them.

Dramamine is for motion sickness, as long as I don't attempt to read while someone else is driving a car, I am fine. I can read on a bus, train, plane and ferry but NOT in a car.

Jen

• View Profile

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2019, 12:47:02 am »
Just doing a cursory look-see of the medications listed, not many of them sound familiar. I will read this in more depth later, right now I am dealing with other health issues.

Man Sakes Alive Getting Old is NOT for the weak.

The following users thanked this post: Jen

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2019, 08:32:15 pm »
On the 28th of July, our Branch Conference ~ The Stake told us we are now a Ward. Our Branch Presidency was released and the Bishopric sustained.

The only callings that were released and new members called to were the ones the new Bishopric had held.

There were no more callings released or sustained on the 4th.

Today I went into our Ward Directory to get the emails & phone numbers of the T&FHConsultants and the EQCounselor so that I can remind them all about the YM meeting on the 15th to learn about FamilySearch and I couldn't get any of the emails. When I looked at the Other Callings, there are no T&FHC called at all.

Sheesh, what a way to be released. So this Sunday I will take in the 3-ring binder I put together as Secretary of our *Little Group* of T&FHC and give it to the EQ Counselor. Now he and he alone will be "Teaching" the YM.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2019, 10:06:00 pm »
Unless they were released in a meeting, they probably still have the callings. It sounds more a problem with the computer program - maybe it doesn't make the switch from branch to ward callings automatically and they have to be re-entered.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2019, 09:59:03 pm »
Temple and Family History has been put under the umbrella of the EQP, who can call a person, assign to a counselor or do it to themselves.   My guess is that when they get everything organized some of the same people will be doing it.

I'd go to the person(s) I thought could help the students and ask them to come and help the YM.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2019, 02:58:45 pm »
Hubby's son will be arriving the afternoon after our anniversary for a 4 day stay. Wish it was longer, and not just a few days longer - but like a lot of days.

It feels odd to me to love an adult child like I love him - seeing as to how I have only known him since 2006. He is 10 years younger than me  8), and is more mature than both my youngest siblings combined. My siblings are 6 and 8 years younger than me. He is also way more charitable, kind, considerate and who unashamedly loves his father.

No, he is not LDS. He believes in a "Higher Power", but not in religion. He respects his father's faith and has admitted that the LDS church has done infinitely more humane works, than all of those so called other not-for-profit and church groups combined, and have done it without slathering on the Look At Me *face paint*, advertising, give me credit crap.

On the 27th Hubby goes to his Coagulation appointment, alone this time so that Son can start the Sweety-Do jobs. Change out the round door knobs with paddle, non-locking knobs, and then change out the old trac-lights in the kitchen. I have new trac-lights to go back in. One 2-incandescandent fixture above the sink will be removed and a two/three trac-light will go there. The last job for me is to attach my hanging three tier basket to the ceiling above my work area in the kitchen. Get my onions, tomatoes, & bell peppers off my counter.

Then the jobs for his father start. (well they are for me too, but mostly for Pop) To sort through all the partially packed 'Office/Den' boxes and toss all the useless, obsolete things out. First is to move his Pop's huge, heavy, oak Man Desk to another wall. Then turn on the old computers (4 of them)his Pop refuses to part with, see what data can be retrieved, erase all of the personal data, and then TOSS them, along with all the cords, power packs, etc. that have nothing to attach to/power. Then he can help me paint the other three walls, hang the new curtains and the HUGE painting his Great Grandma painted.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2019, 10:41:15 pm »
Last Saturday my housekeeper came, cleaned the kitchen after I emptied the fridge of the *science projects*. While she was cleaning, I put away the clean clothes from the dining & living room. Even got ALL of hubby's clean knickers folded and put into the baskets in the bedroom!

I found some frozen dinner - cooked that up for us then took care of my aching hip and leg. Ice, Tylenol and rubbed on some Dragon ointment. Left at 7:30 AM to go get my $385.00 grocery order at Fred Meyer.

My hip hurt a bit, enough to make me slow down. First Stop was BottleDrop to drop off my full bags of bottle returns. Well, they don't open at 5am in the summer anymore - had to wait 10 minutes till they opened at 8 am. In that 10 minutes the earth opened up and discharged the transients. Foul dirty, smelly transients. The key-card door turned on first at 7:57 am. I accessed it, gently tossed in my bag and got back into my car and LOCKED my door. Bleh, the 6 people who were waiting about 25 feet away at the doors were so stinky!! Don't know what has happened at/with the shelters. Maybe they are closed during the summer too.

I then went to the restaurant for breakfast. Only two other tables so my food got to me quick.  I was able to take my time, only ate half my order - brought it home for hubby. I read the entire local newspaper so left it there, went to WalMart to get some dental hygiene items. I was only 15 minutes early to pick up my order- so went in to the very first entrance so I could cash out my BottleDrop monies from 6 weeks earlier. By taking it out all at once I got a 12% bonus of $19.26 to take off my groceries. This time I also had coupons off - $2.90. Filled up the back of my car this time. Grand total there was $60.51 off so my ending total spent was 334.86. Bought a 5+ pound round roast, 3+ pounds of 90% Angus ground beef @ $4.29 a pound instead of $8.99 a pound. Enough frozen entrees for the two of us for nearly 3 weeks. Fresh fruit & vegetables, frozen vegetables, frozen grilled chicken cubes, frozen chicken breasts.

Got home at 11, traffic was horrendous! Still have the tourists. Got all the groceries hauled in and put away in 4 trips including resting & drinking re-hydration drink in-between each trip. Each trip in I would put the food away. Used my *Lady* sized folding hand cart, two smaller totes w/lids. Each tote can hold two bags, plus light stuff on top of the bags, then one more bag on top.

The freezers are full! Need to put the roast in my 4 QT electric roaster, and mix all of the hamburger up into a meat loaf, then shape into a single loaf sans the pan, bake on top of a broiler pan at 350 degrees. Hubby wants meatloaf sandwiches. The smaller 8oz square patties don't work well even if they are cut in half. I don't care if they don't cover all the bread, as a child my second favorite sandwich was home made white bread, lightly buttered, catsup and mustard. Mmmmm good!

When all was put away, me cooled down by sitting in front of a fan, it was nap time. Slept 2.6 hours. Deep sleep. Had the craziest dream. Now my right hip is a bit sore, NOT screaming in pain - but my left rib + side feels like I got hit several times.

Last Tuesday morning we had our RS Meeting. This time it was a Give and Take. I brought a bunch of never used puzzles, several jackets that were two sized too big for me, a serving dish made up of 5 same size round bowls in a daisy shape with the 6th center bowl a bright orange. Oh and 5 paperback books by Orson Scott Card. Everything but the coats were snatched up.

I brought home a Dalia Pasta Maker. Spent two hours on the internet looking for a manual. I found a tutorial on how to clean it. Thank goodness I did, because I was all set to put it into super hot water & dish soap. It is dirty. That is a project for when my dining room table is all cleared off. So there is comfortable room to clean it.

Thursday is my appointment with the Rheumatologist in Corvallis. 65 miles from here. This appointment is 3 hours earlier than all my others. Hope the traffic going home is half what it is at 4pm. I plan on having lunch at a little cafe in Philomath called The Dizzy Hen. They close at 2PM, so if they are closed I'll go to Gathering Together Farm.

Then on Saturday my housekeeper comes. That is my upcoming week ~ how is yours?

* Top Posters

Curelom
1575 Posts
Roper Roper
1441 Posts
dyany dyany
910 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
787 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
582 Posts

* Recent Posts