Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Iggy's Ramblings  (Read 16765 times)

Palmon

• View Profile
Re: Iggy's Ramblings
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2019, 06:06:09 pm »
Thanks, Iggy, for the sprouting advice!

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2019, 08:19:35 pm »
You're welcome. I sprout seeds, mung beans, etc. during the winter months because salad greens are old, bitter, and expensive. For that, I use round, flat trays. Perhaps I will purchase some rectangle flat trays, so I can do more of the mung beans. Surprisingly Hubby loves them. All the sprouts really. As salads, in sandwiches, in soups.

The only grain I haven't sprouted is spelt. Fred Meyer is now carrying that in their bulk dept, so I can buy a 1/4 pound just to try it, then make bread with it.

I bought some ham hocks today. I am so craving Beans and ham hocks. Need to look up a recipe so I can cook it in my Foodi. Will soak some beans starting now - the ham hocks are frozen anyway, so they can thaw in the fridge. Mmmmm, sounds so good.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2019, 03:05:15 am »
Another hint for pressure cooking beans...

You can add the water and unsoaked beans to the pot, bring it to pressure, and then immediately turn off the heat and let the pressure release slowly. That's about equivalent to a day of soaking. Then drain off that water and add fresh water to the pot and pressure cook like normal. That helps to ensure the beans are evenly cooked.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Iggy, Palmon

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2019, 02:03:20 am »
Had my 3 month visit with my Endocrinologist. She was so happy with my test results. My A1c's went from 9.3 to 8.3, I lost another 2 pounds, all of my other tests were in the normal range except for the Triglycerides they were HIGH - 411. They have come down from 548 back in Sept 2018.

My PC has me doubling up on the flaxseed oil - see if that doesn't help.

My Endo cautioned me about a serious side effect of the Jardiance. This is a direct quote from my after visit summary:

SGLT2 inhibitors: Invokana, Jardiance, Farxiga, etc can frequently cause urinary tract infections and groin yeast infections - be sure to stay well hydrated to flush the bladder frequently and keep the groin area dry and airy with loose fitting, dry clothes.

SGLT2 inhibitors can have an uncommon, but serious effect called "Euglycemic", or, normal blood sugar, ketoacidosis. This condition is characterized by blood sugars that are <250, with the production of too many ketones.--If you have any signs/symptoms of: nausea, vomiting, malaise (fatigue), shortness of breath, then check your urine ketones and seek medical care! Let your Doctors know you are on this medication.

She tested my reactions to poking me with a plastic probe, tapped my knees to make my leg jerk, prodded my ankles and top of my feet to check for swelling. Yep, my feet are swollen, but not by a lot. She didn't like the nail job the guy did at my last visit to the Foot Clinic. I wasn't happy with it either. I was his last patient on a Friday, and he wanted to get out and head for the *valley*, aka Portland OR. My appointment was set for 2:30 PM and I got there at 1:45 PM - so he actually got me in at ten to two. sigh Young people nowadays sigh.

She went over my last urine test that was taken back in Feb. She couldn't believe that those results slipped through without an explanation sent to me. But, it was a good test. Everything within the good parameters. Whew!, since my mother and my next older sister both went into renal failure, and with Sis now on dialysis three times a week - I am seriously concerned and watching that!

She wants me to go have a mammogram. Nope, these girls are NEVER getting mashed again!

Since I can't dance anymore - well not up on my feet kind of dancing - I did a chair dance. Wiggled my shoulders as I waved my arms and pumped my fists. My version of the Happy Snoopy Dance.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2019, 09:16:29 pm »
If you really love me, why did you give me your rotten, nasty, horrible cold???

My throat is red and sore. When I go to the bathroom I gargle with very, very warm salt water - thank you very much.

My nose feels like it is dripping, so I blow more often - not a whole lot there - thank you very much.

Have ZERO appetite, that is until I smell the steaks cooking on the neighbors barbecue - then the stomach gurgles and the only reason I am not over there taking *My Share* is because I am only wearing Hubby's old, too small for him short sleeved white shirt and my garmies and wearing even that hurts my skin - thank you very much.

Am NOT looking forward to the hacking, hawking, coughing that laid you low, Hubby Darling - thank you very much.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:21 am »
 Feel better soon.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2019, 07:39:59 pm »
I took a dose of Kroger Nite Time Extreme Capsules at 7 AM, then slept in 2.5 hour increments waking to go to the bathroom, gargle and hack out the crud, then out to the living room to drink some tepid tea and take my regular meds. No insulin because I didn't eat. No carbs, no insulin. At noon my numbers were 65, so I drank a 3.5 oz (total of 19 carbs) can of apple juice. In 15 minutes that brought me to 80 so I just went back to bed.

Here it is 4:12 PM PDT and my throat no longer burns, I can easily breath and my chest isn't bubbling. Am still drinking the tepid tea (Jasmine, Lavender & Camomile) Made the mistake of adding one packet of Splenda to it. Doesn't need added sweetness.

I'm still not hungry - Not even for my all time comfort sick food of Tomato Rice soup with dry toast that is really toasted. Perhaps later. This is the longest I have been up today.

Our new Adult Sunday School Teacher moved out, she is getting married. She hadn't even taught yet. I told Hubby I am NOT substituting- so tell the Branch Presidency to get their old tired bums in gear and call someone quick.

I even refused to read the lesson until they did. Well those old tired bums called this morning and said they called a teacher and I wouldn't be teaching. Now I need to read & listen to the lesson so I can make sure this newest called teacher stays on track.

Saturday is our Stakes 1st Annual Family Roots Adventure AND Family Discovery Day. Come heck or high water or in my case runny nose and gurgling throat, I am going to that!! Am leaving my house at 5 AM, will reach Philomath, OR at around 6:45 AM then wait for the Dizzy Hen Cafe to open at 7 AM to eat breakfast. Then off to the Corvallis OR Stake house that is 11 minutes away.

Will end the day at 3:00 PM and head home, eating an early dinner at either the Chalet in Newport or Georgie's Beachside Grill in Newport. Then home. I extended my itinerary to the RS Sisters & their husbands/children with an offer to carpool with me. No strings attached or expected. Buy your own meal(s), bring your own lunch though cause I am and will be eating out in my car.

NOW to just get well enough for all this to happen. Actually am feeling pretty good right now - 4:39 PM PDT. Still not hungry though. Am thirsty, so will go fill up the water glass and tea.

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2019, 11:34:52 pm »
I even refused to read the lesson until they did. Well those old tired bums called this morning and said they called a teacher and I wouldn't be teaching. Now I need to read & listen to the lesson so I can make sure this newest called teacher stays on track.

Why?  Did I miss something here?  Do you have a new calling?

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2019, 01:12:26 am »
No, the old SS teacher was moving, hubby is SS President and had no one to take over, so he volunteered me. I did it for four lessons, each time being told it would be the last 'cause they (Branch Presidency) would call someone.

Then this single sister graduated from BYU-Hawai'i, and came here to be with her parents. The Branch Presidency called her, and like a good Molly Mormon she accepted the calling knowing full well she was moving to be closer to her long time boyfriend, and that is exactly what she did.

It is harder than heck for me to be at the head of the class teaching - even if I sit the entire time - the Branch Presidency knows this, my husband knows this, 80% of the congregation knows this. My feet, hands and back and lately my knees KILL me! If hubby wants a ride home after church, he better make sure I am NOT in so much pain that holding on to the steering wheel AND pushing the gas pedal doesn't make me pass out from pain.

Because of my health, I won't accept any callings. On the Sundays that it is RS/PH lessons, we go home after Sacrament.

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2019, 11:41:35 pm »
Iggy, the part that confuses me is why you feel the need to make sure the newly-called teacher stays on track.  Isn't that the responsibility of the person with stewardship in Sunday School?  Or isn't it up to class members to steer the discussion back on track if the teacher wanders off on a tangent?  I'm honestly NOT trying to call you out on your comment; I just don't see why you are shouldering that responsibility. 

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2019, 01:01:26 am »
I don't feel the need to do that, I study so that I know what is coming and can participate in class. We have had so many GD teachers who veered so far off the path that members just got up and left.

The Sunday School President divides his time between Youth Sunday school, Adult Sunday School and then Teachers Council. He won't be in church this Sunday - still sick. So I will attend class and report back to him IF I even make it to church, am sick too, but not as bad as hubby.

As for keeping the teachers on tract - not really. I will take notes and tell hubby if he wasn't in attendance. 

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2019, 12:21:04 am »
Have been sick these last two weeks. Croupy cough that really results in icky spit. Two tissues worth -THEN two tissues worth of blowing the nose. Have had NO appetite. Hubby has been on his own nuking his own freezer entree's.

I sleep most of the time. Two to three hours sleep. 1.5 to 2.5 hours awake. Back to sleep for 4 hours, awake for 2. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The last two days have only eaten breakfast nutrition bars and drank tepid to iced herbal infusions and/or green teas. Oh and 1.5 pints of water per awake time.

We both are out of food. So I spent my last two awake times putting together an online shopping list at Fred Meyer. This trip will include health & beauty item for me. Am out of my favorite pain relief cream - Dragon. 

Since the outside temps have been in the high 80's for the last three days, with forecasts of same temps for the next 8 days - and I am awake for the longest from 6:30 am to 11am, made my pick-up time for 9 to 10 am. Nearly $300.00 this time. LOTS of fresh vegetables and fruits along with a round steak @ $2.49 lb.(Hubby asked for ~ ~drum roll please~~ Swiss Steak!, and a 4 to 6 pound Beef Roast @ $3.99 pound.

I'll have to go into the Safeway store to get the 22 items I want. ALL are from their ad, so the chances they are out of stock are high. I want a whole chicken @ $0.89 pound, 93% ground beef @$3.14 pound, 8 oz Signature Farms Fruit Cups @$1.00 ea, 12 oz cans of Cascade Ice  3 cases for $10.00, 2 dozen Large A Eggs @ $0.99 each, Signature Select Rising Crust Pizza (only get the 5 cheese one) for $3.79 plus $1.00 off coupon.

When I first hit town at 6:45AM will go to Walmart first to get: 1 package of Epson Yellow printer ink, facial astringent and 2 to 4- 1.5" or 2" 3-ring binders (have genealogy documents to store). Then to the restaurant to eat breakfast (two eggs over med, fruit cup subbed for the hash browns, 1 slice whole wheat toast - dry and iced tea.

By then my order should be ready at Fred Meyer. Pick that up, then hop across the street to Safeway, then if my feet aren't hurting by then, I'll stop at the Dollar Store and see what they have in the way of soup/pasta bowls, and if they have any of the popped pop corn that Hubby so loves. Am not getting him any other junk food carbohydrate treat ~ I also meander the canned/package food aisles. Since I already have 3 extra brown mustard's don't need any more. But they sometimes have a really good buy of 8oz jarred whole button mushrooms. Am also on the look out for heavy-ish duty plastic/melamine/melmac/non-metal cooking utensils. The ones I bought back in 1974 at the Scandia Shop in Ballard, Seattle WA are on their last legs. Two of the spoons have broken into pieces when I stirred a pot of mac-n-cheese.   

Don't you just hate that when a most favorite cooking utensil - pot, etc. breaks/gets destroyed and you have to go on the search to find a replacement! Back years and years ago I bought cooking slotted spoons of the non-metal variety put out by Rubbermaid. Love them! First husband destroyed one of them along with a spatula by the same maker and my cast aluminum 5 qt dutch oven when he mixed up a batch of Fix-It-All to use as sheetrock paste. Had he stayed sober from start to finish of the project, read the directions thoroughly, the stuff wouldn't have set up and become a rather unique looking boot jack! The pot half full of Fix-It-All with my spoon stuck in it and the spatula broken off with about 1" of the handle protruding from the mess.

This husband just absconds with my paring knives and wood handled sandwich spreaders. I bought him a very good and expensive Old Time pocket knife, but he still takes my paring knives and doesn't return them. So - - I bought a bunch of cheap Dollar Store ones and he can "use" them. My good ones I have hidden in the kitchen. As for the spreaders, well when I am down to one, I wait until he goes to take a shower then I tip his recliner over to hunt for the missing 5. I usually find forks, soup spoons and table knives in my hunt too.

I have my meatloaf patties baking in the oven - frozen brussels sprouts waiting to cook in the microwave and I will prepare (nuke) a box of scalloped potatoes for a late dinner. Am now totally out of the meatloaf patties, hence why I am buying 2+ pounds of ground beef. Discovered it is easy to mix it all up in my Bosch mixer. This time I will add two jars of mushrooms.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2019, 02:27:08 am »
I am not a fan of people misusing my good knives/scissors, either, and have been known to hide them and/or put out cheap ones for common use. But my fabric scissors? DO NOT EVER USE THEM ON ANYTHING ELSE EVER OR SUFFER MY WRATH!

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2019, 03:27:33 am »
My Mom was that way with her scissors - all of them. Hair cutting ones, the fabric scissors, 3 embroidery scissors, kitchen shears, medical scissors, etc.

The only ones us kids (from 6 yrs to 21 yrs) were allowed to use were the blunt nose ones, meant only for paper!

As for the kitchen knives, not one of them were to leave the kitchen, ever! Daddy had them all so stinking sharp that only he, Mom and Grandma were allowed to use or even clean them!

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2019, 10:47:37 am »
I had a cleaning lady who took my knife (albeit a crappy knife) and sharpened it with a random rock she found outside. Well, it was a horrible knife and it was dull, so I didn't get too upset about it, but I still thought that was weird.

People using my stuff without asking bothers me. I don't like my good stuff being stained/damaged/wrecked. It annoys me.

Yeah.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Sparky

* Top Posters

Curelom
1575 Posts
Roper Roper
1441 Posts
dyany dyany
910 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
787 Posts