Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Iggy's Ramblings  (Read 16764 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Iggy's Ramblings
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:35 am »
Iggy,
A couple of ideas for you, for cooking, there's no law that you must stand to cook! So perhaps you could sit to do some of the meal preparation tasks? Or perhaps try to stagger them and stuff so you're not having to do everything at once. Another idea would be to consider getting one of those anti-fatigue mats which helps with taking pressure off your back when you're standing for a long time.
Get a barstool to put by your kitchen counter. You don't have to actually have a bar or sit on the stool to guzzle beer or booze. But a barstool, maybe with a back rest & adjustable height if you can get it, might make food prep less tiring.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Firefly

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2019, 04:47:58 am »
What nita said. :) I frequently do my chopping at the table, sitting down. I have a bar stool for the kitchen when I need to sit down *and* must do stuff at the kitchen counter.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Firefly

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:23 am »
I wish my kitchen were bigger, and the counters lower - there is room for a stool and the first one I bought shortly after moving here, 8 years ago, was the wrong style.

Just recently I got a folding stool, so I will try it. Have some sweet bell peppers and celery to cut up in dipping size. As for putting the canned/boxed/envelope foods away - today appears to be a good day to do that. Feet aren't hurting and the table full of reusable bags, canned goods and, and, and clean clothes is driving me nuts! lol  ::)

We had chicken w/mango in marinara sauce and jasmine rice after church yesterday. The chicken was dry BUT the mango marinara sauce was oh so wonderful. I added a 10oz jar of mushroom bits and pieces to it. MMMmmmm good. Then around 9 pm, we had a green salad with a wee bit of turkey & ham dices and the last bit of shredded cheese.

My numbers finally came down to the mid 100's. For a month they have been hovering in the mid to high 200's, and for a couple of days, they were in the mid 300's. Readjusting my insulin now that I am done with the predniSONE and Humulin NPH is proving to be more difficult than when I first went on them! :-\

Have lost the puffiness though. Now have bags under my eyes and the extra chin. There is actually a waddle in it's [the extra chin that is] place. Joked with one of the sisters at church that I will need to get tiny little weights for my eyelids and exercise them to tighten up the sagging. Good thing we were at the opposite of the building from the room where the Branch Council was meeting cause we laughed and laughed.

Do need to get my hand weights out and work on the flying squirrel flaps others call the upper arms.

Now on to the weather ~ ~ seems our Storm N Snow watch is over. For me, the Confectioners Sugar Dusting is over with as is the below 35-degree temps. When it dropped to 30 that was too low for me. Not only did my arthritic joints pain me but so did my bones AND muscles. It is 5:13 am PDT and a very wet 47 degrees. No wind to speak of and the rain smells wonderful.

I talked with my older sister on Saturday for 2 hrs and 38 minutes. This time she sounded alert and with it. The last time she was a 35 watt porch light as opposed to a 75 watt lamp light. This time we compared aches, pains, and medicines. It struck us both just how old we are. She is 70 and I am 66. Two old ninnies trying to One Up each other with our ailments. I nearly peed myself, and she can't - she is on kidney dialysis! THAT didn't stop her from laughing until she cried.

We also reminisced about our youth and the silly things our siblings did. Like when our now 58 yr old brother was 4, he came into the barn where our Uncle was milking one of the cows, Lil Bro squatted down, put his hands on his knees and said: Uncle, why does this cow have So Many Pee'ers? Uncle fell off the milking stool laughing, I buried my head in the cow's neck laughing and older Sister slid down the stall wall laughing. Lil Bro never did get an answer from Uncle so he marched back to the house. We all had just stopped laughing when we heard my Dad roar with laughter. Yep, his baby son asked him, Mom, Grandma, and Aunt the same question. To this day Lil Bro won't talk about it.

Then about the time when Lil Sis (age 4) was being an absolute pest to Big Bro and Eldest Sister. Finally, Big Bro told her to go away or he would Snatch Her Bald. She went screaming into the kitchen, stopped short of barreling into Mom and asked deadpan - whats my Snatch Me Bald? That one is still golden today, shuts her up no matter what she is yammering on about.

Oh, I have to post those two memories on my FB page so their children AND grandchildren can know how cute their parent was as little things.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:33 am »
Ick. Set the alarm last night for 6:30 AM so I could take our trash bin to the road, then sit in the car until the garbage truck came. We have had gale force winds since 4 pm yesterday, and they are to continue until around noon today. The bins are lightweight and on wheels. If this one blew away, then I would have to purchase one since it would be the third one to do so.

The ick part is the jacket I wore. It is a fleece zip up with hood. I haven't washed it since I bought it, and once it got wet it  s t u n k. Well, it is going to get washed today - a bit later this morning actually, along with Hubby's thermal cotton sweat pants, my lightweight jeans, three long sleeved tops of mine and two knit tops of Hubby's.

A month ago while I was roaming the aisles at Walmart I came upon a new product in the laundry/houseware section. Dryer woolen balls. You add 5-7 drops of essential oil to the ball and put it in the dryer AFTER the clothes are dry. Set it to Air Fluff for 10 minutes. The starter set I got had lavender, orange and lemon oils. Have yet to use orange. But I really love lavender. I use lavender for my Garmmies and lemon for Hubby's cotton Garmmies.

I have several bottles of different scents that I use to make my lotions. Coconut oil + Grape seed oil + then whatever scent tickles my fancy.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2019, 04:09:23 am »
Hubby and I went to a late lunch/early dinner between his two appointments today.

The 1st appointment was in the new hospital, the second floor to get his blood tested for thinning. I know I have that worded wrong - he takes warfarin and every month he needs to be checked that it isn't thinning his blood too much. Well, today he tested 3 point something and it should be 2 point something. Well, his knee has been inflamed, painful and the only thing that seems to help is Tylenol and at night Aleve. Both of those thin the blood. So, his warfarin got adjusted until his knee isn't hurting anymore.

After that, we went to eat. We both had steak and shrimp w/french fries, dinner salad to start and we took the blueberry muffins home to eat later.

The 2nd appointment was at the dentist. He had his permanent bridge put in. Soon as we got home I changed into jammies and put on compression socks. Being either in an uncomfortable chair waiting at the hospital - -after walking two blocks after finding a parking spot, then walking two blocks back to the car, sitting at the restaurant, then at the dentist's office - my ankles were beginning to swell. My feet look thin but I just know that when the socks come off there will be indentation mark around the ankle.

Finally told the husband that I have increased the housekeepers' duties and will be reducing her hourly by $5.00. I talked it over with my housekeeper and she is up to doing from 6 to 8 hours of work every other week - she can pick the day and the times - she has 4 teen boys and her husband works days. IF she gets the work done in under 6 hours, I will pay her $20.00 an hour, if it takes over 6.5 or longer than it will be $15.00 an hour.

I contacted my CSC regarding getting a shoppers helper for every three weeks or monthly AND a cook to come in two to three times a week. Sent her an email on the 12th, haven't heard from her. Will give her a full week, then I will call her.

This is what I wrote to her:
Sister ~

I need help with several things,

1st: With my grocery shopping. Even though I am now getting my groceries from Fred Meyer Clicklist - there is still Walmart and Safeway that to date are not doing this. I just am unable to walk the stores getting my groceries without ending up in a lot of pain. 

The cart that is attached to the motor scooter in the stores just is not large enough to hold my groceries. The help I am in need of is a Shopping Helper to push a larger cart and to put the items in it, and then to help unload my car. Not certain if the duties will also include helping me to put them away, depends on how bad my feet and lower back are hurting. 

I do my major shopping on or after the fourth Wednesday of the month. I make out my list the night before, and will then *Order* my Clicklist groceries/etc. My aim is to leave the house anywhere from 8 AM to no later than 10:30 AM. I always eat breakfast at The Chalet before I shop - so my Shopping Helper will have their meal(s) paid by me.  Then I go to Walmart to see if their prices are better than the sale items at Safeway if so I get them there. Next stop would be either Fred Meyer to pick up my Clicklist order (which will be bagged there at the car with my own recyclable bags), or Safeway.

IF my shopping trip has been 3.75 to 4+ hours since I last ate, there will be one more stop at The Chalet or another restaurant for a meal. Then either go to the last store or home. My monthly groceries pretty much fills my car (back seats are lowered to maximize cargo space). Unless my Helper can put the bags in a snugger order than I have been able to do it this last year. Often it has been rather slipshod. Quite often I don't get home until 5:30 or 6 PM - but with a helper, that time will probably be shaved by an hour or more.

I am willing to pay $10 to $15 an hour (whatever you feel is fair w/out breaking my bank  ;)  ) in addition to the meals.

Another need is someone to plan menus and cooking meals for Hubby and Myself.

We have plenty of food, in the freezers (yep we have three ~ a tall one, a counter height cube of a freezer and the one in the side by side unit in the kitchen), canned/bottled/boxed/envelope foods in the cupboards including the large one in the M.Bedroom (mostly dehydrated/freeze dried, long term foods that need to be used and rotated). Prepping the meals kills me. Again it's my feet and lower back that end up hurting - A Lot. I have tried sitting on a stool, but it just isn't working out.

Having someone come twice maybe three times a week to plan menus with me, prep them and possibly cook some of them. Definitely put the prepped -ready to cook dishes in the fridge or freezer if there is room.

One thing to note is I have a large, regular and small size crockpots, two rice steamers (small and regular) and two electric roasters one is a 4 qt and the other is an 18 or 22 qt. Plus a good selection of cook and bakeware.   

I have a sneaky feeling that you might suggest that I ask my Ministering Sister first, well, in all honesty, I'd rather not. I love her, but not enough to have her help me shop or to cook meals for us.

Now, for the shopping helper, a young woman would be fine, as would any RS Sister who is interested & willing. Don't think it would be proper for a young man to assist.

XXXXXX, if you have questions please call my cell phone. If it goes to voice mail (can't seem to set it to not do that until the 8th ring) leave a short message and I will call you right back.

thanks ~

Last night I did tackle the clean clothes - folded about 6 baskets while I sat in my chair watching a James Bond movie. Did run out of energy to take them to the back of the house and put them away. They will still be there tomorrow, and the next day and the next, etc.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2019, 05:05:38 pm »
I usually don't weigh myself at home, though I have a good scale. Each time I see my Endocrinologist that is when I get weighed. Well, I went back and checked out my poundage :o , from Aug 2018 to Nov 2018 I lost 6 pounds, then yesterday I weighed myself and I have lost an additional 7 pounds.

I thought the beginning of a neck waddle and the flying squirrel flaps on my upper arms were a result of the End of predniSONE puffyness:o  Some of it is, but it is mostly - - -(drum roll here) weight loss! I also checked out my Food/Insulin log - and for those 6 months I had been in more pain AND not eating, thus not injecting insulin. My numbers are high - and in retrospect, I should have been contacting my Diabetic Team via email & phone regarding adjusting the amounts.

Monday is my visit w/the Endo - she is NOT going to be happy with me. Not testing my sugars, not eating, not injecting. She is going to want to put that button on me, hopefully, Medicare will pay for it. Wonder how it will work on my squirrel flaps??

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2019, 05:29:39 am »
I got a reply from my CSC -

In regards to your wish list...
     1.  I understand your frustration with the stress and physical pain that result from monthly shopping chores.  It seems like just a few years ago our bodies handled these things much more easily. I also suffer from lower back pain and neuropathy, and as a result I have to pace myself and try not to overdo, or I pay for it the next day.
     Perhaps if you changed your shopping schedule a little you could avoid overburdening yourself  with your once a month trip which leads to pain and stress. Perhaps weekly trips would work better for you?
       If it is a matter of gas money, maybe you could ride with or take turns driving weekly with a neighbor or friend?  The money you could save on a "shopping helper" could go to gas money, and if you go weekly you could fit your food into the cart's basket.
      2.    If you still need a helper, I can suggest Senior Services.  I know of a couple of people who benefit from their help.  They will do errands, help with shopping, and also help with light housework and food prep.  You would have to call them and go through an application process, which then determines how many hours of help you qualify for.
       3.    Perhaps there's a young mother or teen in our Branch who would like to earn a little spending money.  I suggest you check with our RS President or Young Women President for ideas.  Maybe the Ministering Sister's daughters could come over and help with food prep.  Don't they live close by?
       4.   You can post on our facebook page that you are looking for some paid help, and ask them to message or call you privately for details.  And I understand that  Waldport community page would be a place to post as well.
        5.   Maybe there is someone in Newport Ward who could meet you at Walmart once a week to lend you a hand?
        6.   Another thought...what about meals on wheels?  I know a lady who was hesitant to try it but really looks forward now to the days she doesn't have to cook! 
     Thanks, Iggy, I hope these ideas will help you out.
I'll wait a full week before I answer her, because if I do it now I know I will body slam her back into the Ice Age.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2019, 06:01:49 am »
Definitely wait a while.

What struck me about her response is that it seemed to put everything back on you. She offered suggestions, pretty much things that you've already thought about, I suspect, but didn't offer to actually help.

I'm sorry.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2019, 07:16:41 am »
Wait I did. Respond to her I did not. Instead, I sent the emails to the Assistant Compassionate Service - she is about 20 years younger, been active in the church since birth and is visiting her parents and home ward. Her parents are BIC also. This gal I have known since Hubby and I moved back into Oregon - and I trust and greatly respect her. I told her how I felt, but if she felt I was being silly, too emotional, etc. I would heed her advice.

She wrote right back to tell me that she had gotten my email, she was going to be a bit in responding because she was having her wisdom teeth pulled and had an appointment with her Rheumatologist. Hang in there as it would be at least 4 to 8 days before she could really give my situation all her attention.

Four days later, she wrote and asked if she could show her parents my email as she is so new to her calling and she really doesn't know what it entails. Her mother has been an RSP, CSC, Stake RSP. Her father is a Bishop right now, etc. I was expecting this - told her it was ok.

The next day, I got a short email from her asking if I was thinking of the Shopping Helper to also be the cook, or ???? Also could I hold off on doing my monthly shopping for a week or two, until she got home?

I told her that I was doing piecemeal shopping because of the increased pain in my feet and hands. So don't worry - I really must have a helper if I am even going to do weekly shopping.

Finally, she sent me a long email.

She feels that Wish List was not cool. BUT she did counsel to give our CSC the benefit of the doubt. She knows she has been battling gout and that her hubby has had a reoccurrence of the infection in his leg. 

Then she explained that when she lived near her parents she was a personal chef to a couple whose husband was battling cancer (no credentials, but could get referrals). The reason she wanted me to wait on the shopping, is she wants to tag along to see what I buy, and to see if she could be the helper AND the chef.

She agrees with me that before any shopping is done, my food supplies (including spices & staples) need to be inventoried. When I wrote the email, I asked if the wages of $10 to $15 under the table was fair? Apparently, it is because the Assistant CSC has actually offered to be our cook.

Since the town she is in right now is still battling snow & ice, she isn't home yet. BUT that gives me the opportunity to get my dining room table cleared of: a]Clothes.b] Reusable Shopping Bags. c]Canned foods. d]Empty styrofoam coolers. e]Box of extension cords. f]Other Stuff.

In my email back to her I pretty much said that I felt my personal chef would have free reign in the kitchen. Organize it any way that is free-flowing, comfortable, etc. I have always disliked the lower cupboards, and have thought to install roll-out shelves. I'll leave that to my chef.

So, I am fairly certain that she will be our personal chef.  ~ ~ ~ Yeah ~ ~ ~   ;D  {happy dancing

Now to find a shoppers helper. I'll wait until she gets home, and we have a sit down here at the house and talk. Then I will go on the Branch RS FB page and state that I am looking to hire a Shopping Helper to go with me to the stores.

For the past two weeks, I haven't really done that much. I shop just a little bit after my early morning Dr appointments. Haven't even done much laundry, etc. I sit on a stool in the kitchen while our meals cook rather than stand and wait. Still, my feet hurt. Hubby is helping me to be more conscientious about counting my carbs AND injecting accordingly. As much as the finger pricks HURT - the tips of my fingers zing, feel super hot, and hurt. 

When I fail to inject my insulin - the pain gets worse. So, test my numbers, count the carbs, inject accordingly AND do it at every meal.

One thing about keeping the shopping trips short and on point, it doesn't allow one to impulse buy.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2019, 10:24:43 am »
That will be so nice to have a personal chef! I hope it works out extremely well!

I hate bottom cupboards, too. With my bad back and joints, I really can't use them. In any kitchen that I design, they will all be drawers. That's the only way I could take advantage of the space.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2019, 04:21:20 pm »
In any kitchen that I design, they will all be drawers. That's the only way I could take advantage of the space.
Yep, that is the only way to go. The drawers I do have don't work as they should. Was always going to have the handyman fix them. Now it will be the Handy Woman - sister from church who is now a licensed general contractor.

Oh, the news from my last visit to the Endocrinologist ~ ~ ~
    GOOD, From Dec 27, 2018, to Feb 18, 2019, I have lost 14.6 pounds!!!

BAD, news ><>< my a1C's went up 1.8 points.

NEUTRAL, The Dr wants me to see the Diabetic Counselor AND get in for my yearly Well Diabetic Woman checkup with 1) the eye Dr and 2) the PCP. She doesn't care if I am protesting Samaritans shoddy billing practice or not, GET IN TO SEE HIM.  Samaritan keeps billing my visit with my PCP as Walk-In Clinic. Medicare pays their portion, but when it gets to Cigna they pay it as Urgent Care and my co-pay ends up being $75.00 instead of $20.00. {{which reminds me need to send a message via MyChart to request an appointment for yearly checkup including complete blood workup. Problem is, in the message part they only allow for 36 characters. I am not that good with abbreviations.

Have already set up the eye appointment. Waiting for the Diabetic Counselor to reply to my message. Need to figure out a 36 character message to the PCP then send it.

More good news, we have had real spring weather the past three days. Sunny, mild rains and winds and brisk temperatures. Am so looking forward to the warmer spring temperatures which would be in the mid-'60s to mid-'70s rather than the high-'30's to mid-'40s. My girlfriend who lives just outside Boulder MT is still weathering blizzards with wind chill factors in the minus 37 to 57 degrees. Her good news is that the packed snow on the roads are not slippery but has really good traction which makes getting to the property where their 4 horses are stabled is relatively easy. Also, all the snow that is covering the roof and three sides of their 5th wheel act as insulation and they are warm, cozy and protected from those below zero wind chill factor WINDS. Her husband, on the other hand, has had his fill of White, white and more white. He is oh so ready for Green, Green, and more Green.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2019, 10:56:32 am »
UPDATE: Saw the Diabetic Counselor. Samaritan Health Services have added one more Counselor to its roster. I could get an appointment with her, within two days of asking, whereas my usual Counselor was booked solid for a month.

What I really like about all of the Diabetic *Team* is that when you fall short of your own goals, fail to take your prescribed medications, don't eat properly, etc. they don't judge you or scold you or even "Tsk, tsk, tsk" at you. Instead of my appointment being just the normal 1 hour, she set aside 3 hours. We talked, she listened, she made notes, and then she said: Iggy, rather than load you down with a plethora of goals and To Do's, let's work on just one goal okay?

That one goal is to take my slow acting insulin, Lantus, at 6-6:30 every night. Once I told my husband about the visit and that I really needed him to be my *Alarm Clock* regarding this, it has been doable.

In our conversation (Diabetic Counselor and myself), it came up that I really can't tell what pain is from the neuropathy and which is arthritis/fibromyalgia. She said to test my sugars, if they are high, then it is neuropathy. Keep my sugars low [75-150] and my neuropathy will be reduced by nearly 75%. High BG count can be caused by arthritis/fibromyalgia pain also. Just like when one is sick - feverish - flu-like symptoms.

Even though I have no desire to eat aka lack of appetite, I MUST eat at least two full meals a day, the third meal can be the breakfast bars w/juice. I also have to have proteins, fiber, and carbs with all three meals. She asked if I was eating gluten-free. Told her an emphatic NO, NOPE, I am not celiac. She said, good - diabetics need the gluten to be the *train* that takes the fuel (sugar) to all the parts (organs, etc.) of the body. Yep, I knew that. Going gluten-free hinders the train and can actually cause derailments and damage.

I thought that maybe my meter was wonky, so she tested my BG meter, then tested my blood with it. She ensured me that once my BG numbers come down the soreness/tingling pain in my fingertips will go away and fingersticks won't hurt anymore.

My visit with her was on Thursday of this week. I have followed the goal with the Lantus injections. I have eaten two full meals and one breakfast bar & V8 juice meal, testing my numbers and injecting accordingly. This morning my fingertips have finally quit hurting. My feet still feel like they are encased in plaster of paris, but they are devoid of the debilitating level 20 zinging, piercing, electrical pain and the accompanying pulsing in the arch of my feet. Also yesterday I was able to go without my compression gloves. That was nice. Slept without them for the first time last night - - again, that was nice.

My next appointment is in a month.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Palmon

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2019, 11:39:54 am »
On a different subject this time. Our RS is having it's March *Extra* meeting today. "Testimonies and Tacos". Starts at 10 am, luncheon of tacos at 11 am. I wasn't planning on attending. Tacos don't fall under food I can eat. I got a series of text messages yesterday.

text: Can you eat dairy?  Me: Yep, as long as it is low to no fat.

text: Are you sugar-free? Me: Not all the time, I need to know how many carbs per serving so I can inject accordingly.

text: When you make dishes with hamburger what % do you use. Me: If it isn't super expensive I use 96% or 93%. IF I use 80-85% I keep draining the fat off until it is just past pink, or make a meatloaf, then weigh into 8 oz servings, shape into large patties, place on a broiler pan and BAKE @350 degrees till done. All the fat drains into the bottom of the pan totally away from the meat. When I make spaghetti or taco meat I use vegetarian beef scrambles. I have enough of that to make 10 pounds of *meat* that I will donate if you want to go that route.

Text: That's okay, Sis J is making it all with 96% meat - she has to be on a LOW-fat diet too, and I made sugar free cupcakes. [smiley face].

Okay, now - after all of that how can I NOT go? Yes, I will take my *Diabetic Testing-n-Injecting Equipment* and go into one of the classrooms to do my thing before I eat. Chances are pretty high that they will be serving corn taco shells - now to look that up to see how many carbs each one is so I can calculate correctly.

Time to eat a small breakfast after I get dressed.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2019, 07:58:24 pm »
It is really nice that they are trying to cook things you can eat. Really nice.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2019, 01:03:28 am »
Agreed, it is really nice that they're trying to accomodate you, Iggy. :)

* Top Posters

Curelom
1575 Posts
Roper Roper
1441 Posts
dyany dyany
910 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
787 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
582 Posts